The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 23, 2001, 06:52 PM   #1
OTIS

I just looked at an EAA side by side Bounty Hunter II 12 ga. NIB I ordered for my gun clubs annual auction. Problem is I can't get the barrel to fit onto the receiver. Followed all the instructions, breakdown lever all the way to the right etc. and the back of the lug seems to be hitting the notch in the receiver. Is this normal? Are they that tight? My FFL couldn't get it to go either. Just want to make sure before I send it back.
Old February 23, 2001, 07:58 PM   #2
ckurts

Otis: mine was pretty tight putting it together, and the hinge action is still pretty stiff, but getting better. Sorry I can't offer you anything other than I just fooled with it (carefully!) until it went together by magic or something. I wouldn't send it back just yet.
Old February 25, 2001, 12:12 PM   #3
OTIS

Thanks for the reply.I called EAA and talked to a gentleman there and he told me that the extractor was not extended all the way out and I needed to take a punch and drive the extractor all the way out. He said that these guns are extremely tight because of the European philosophy that firearms are hard to come by and should last several lifetimes. I'm not sure about that but it sounds good. He said he spent 2 years at the Franchi plant in Italy and talked about their allowing no more than 2 thousandth clearances. I was really impressed with their service as he offered to walk me through it on his 800 number.

I will see monday if this works. My FFL still has it.
Hmmm may have to bid on this one myself. Pretty nice looking unit for the money.