The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 28, 2010, 07:44 AM   #1
Tangentabacus

Need Help: Rem 700 SPS Won't Fire

Okay, I got a problem. Remington 700 SPS chambered in .308. It's a friend's rifle and it won't fire no matter what we try. Tonight I tore apart the bolt and everything is okay and doesn't seem to be broken. There is no key.

Not sure what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions to try and fix it? Bought it at Sportsman's Warehouse, so we can't return it. Our last resort is to take it to a gunsmith, but I really think that something is just not quite right...

What would be awesome is some pictures of taken apart, or fully assembled R700 bolts. I wana try and fix this, because if I do I can buy this brand new never been fired R700 for about $400. Because my friend who has this R700 has already bought another... Yay. So, TFL... Help me fix this gun!!

This thread is a duplicate from "The Art of the Rifle" forum so that I can get some extra help.
Old April 28, 2010, 09:51 AM   #2
Tangentabacus

OKAY!!

So, I have discovered what is wrong, but I haven't figured out what is causing it.

When the bolt is inside the chamber the firing pin cannot move far enough forward to strike the primer because the bolt does not rotate enough to allow this to happen. There is a groove on the side of the bolt that dictates how far down the firing pin can move. The bolt does not turn enough to let the firing pin (when fired) rest inside the deepest part of that groove, therefore the primer cannot be hit and the gun not fired.

Now, I cannot figure out what is causing the bolt to make it's fullest rotation possible to allow the firing pin to be fully engaged.
Old April 28, 2010, 10:16 AM   #3
Tangentabacus

IT WORKS

Turns out a little bolt that was used when the scope mounts were installed was in the way.
Old April 28, 2010, 10:40 AM   #4
CowTowner

Awesome job!
Now enjoy your new rifle.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy