The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 31, 2013, 10:55 AM   #26
noelf2

Quote:
The law does not allow them to tag luggage containing a firearm. A card is placed inside the suitcase at check-in, confirming that the firearm has been declared. There isn't supposed to be anything on the exterior of the checked luggage to indicate that there's a firearm inside.
I check a bag with a gun in it every time I fly to a destination where I can legally carry. I just came back from a trip to Alaska (Fairbanks). The red signed card is always placed inside the TSA approved locked gun case with the gun and ammo. It has never been taped to the outside of my TSA approved gun case, or loose inside the suitcase with it.
Old July 31, 2013, 12:08 PM   #27
pax

noelf,

You probably always fly on the same airline. I'm here to tell you that they do often put it inside the suitcase, but outside the lockbox. Which is the way it should be, for the following reasons:
  • TSA can always access the main suitcase without your supervision (that's why we use TSA locks on our suitcases).
  • TSA agents who look inside the suitcase and see a lockbox *should* be able to check that the contents of that lockbox have been declared -- which is ostensibly what the signed card is intended to do.
  • TSA agents are not legally allowed to access the contents of the lockbox without the owner's direct supervision, per federal law. The law requires that only the person who declares the firearm may retain access to the lockbox key or combination.
  • Thus, requiring the card to go inside the (inaccessible) lockbox is an absolutely foolish waste of everyone's time -- because you might as well just carry the paperwork with you, since they won't be able to access it without your presence anyway.

When I fly on those airlines that require me to put the card inside the nobody-but-me-gets-the-key lockbox, I always request a second card for outside that box. Because it is downright stupid that some airlines put the "it's okay, we've checked it" card inside the lockbox nobody but me is legally allowed to access anyway.

pax
Old July 31, 2013, 10:40 PM   #28
kilimanjaro

Just a question, is it possible to just ship the pistol from FL to AK?
Old August 1, 2013, 06:58 AM   #29
2ndsojourn

^^^
kilimanjaro, it would have to be shipped to a FFL and you would have to go through a NICS check and probably a transfer fee to get it.
Old August 1, 2013, 07:36 AM   #30
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndsojourn
kilimanjaro, it would have to be shipped to a FFL and you would have to go through a NICS check and probably a transfer fee to get it.
Why?

The law provides that a person may ship a firearm to himself. No FFL needed, on either end. It's covered (or was, before they rebuilt it) on the BATFE FAQ site.
Old August 1, 2013, 07:57 AM   #31
noelf2

Quote:
You probably always fly on the same airline.
I don't.

Quote:
Because it is downright stupid that some airlines put the "it's okay, we've checked it" card inside the lockbox nobody but me is legally allowed to access anyway.
It's not an "OK, we've checked it" card. It's a declaration by the owner that the gun is unloaded and ammo is properly stowed. I've never had a counter agent or TSA agent actually check that the gun is unloaded. When I carry a rifle case, the red tag goes inside the case as well (not taped to the outside proving the case actually holds a firearm). So what is the real purpose of the red tag? No purpose at all. It's stupid. I never expect TSA or any federal rule to be anything other than stupid. I'm pleasantly surprised when they do something logical.

Quote:
When I fly on those airlines that require me to put the card inside the nobody-but-me-gets-the-key lockbox, I always request a second card for outside that box.
Not me! TSA can try to scan the luggage to determine what is inside the case. A card floating around inside the luggage confirms that the case holds a gun, and tempts theft. I always have my own paper with name and cellphone contact info inside my luggage. If TSA needs more info, they can call me up until the crew tells me to turn off my phone, and by that time, my luggage better be on the plane.

Last edited by noelf2; August 1, 2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old August 1, 2013, 08:10 AM   #32
pax

Quote:
Not me! TSA can try to scan the luggage to determine what is inside the case. A card floating around inside the luggage confirms that the case holds a gun, and tempts theft. I always have my own paper with name and cellphone contact info inside my luggage. If TSA needs more info, they can call me up until the crew tells me to turn off my phone, and by that time, my luggage better be on the plane.
I like the idea of leaving contact info inside the suitcase -- thanks.

To prevent my lockbox from getting stolen (separately from the suitcase, at any rate!), I use one that accepts a cable. Then I slightly unzip the liner and run the cable around the 'backbone' of the suitcase before locking everything up.

pax
Old August 1, 2013, 08:17 AM   #33
noelf2

Quote:
I like the idea of leaving contact info inside the suitcase -- thanks.
I recommend just name and cell phone number.

By the way, I edited my post you quoted about the contact info. Checked rifle cases also have red tags put "inside" the locked case. Serves no purpose there either.

Tags
airlines , flying , gunlaws , tsa