The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 26, 2011, 11:08 PM   #26
TenRing

Judging from your photo, you seem to have a good selection of handguns there. I don't know why you choose to use the 5-shot (looks like a model 638) as the primary HD gun when you have an 8-shot model 327 that was built expecially for that.

Seems to me that the 8-shot 327 would be perfect and the barrel is still not too long for close quarters defense. The J frame would by my carry piece and HD BUG but not my HD primary.
Old April 26, 2011, 11:18 PM   #27
C0untZer0

OK, here is what you do... you buy one of those S&W 50 cal magnum revolvers... are you with me?

But.. you don't load it.. are you with me?

You keep your snubbie in your pocket... are you with me?

So the bad guy grabs your S&W 50 cal magnum and turns it on you... but it's not loaded !!!! are you with me?

In the time it takes the bad guy to grab your S&W 50 cal magnum, you whip out your snubbie and BLAM!

Not only is this plan sheer genius.. it's also fool proof.
Old April 27, 2011, 12:08 AM   #28
Wildalaska

I'm gonna get one of them NAA breaktop 22 mags

WildcarrywithclassAlaska ™©2002-2011
Old April 28, 2011, 09:55 AM   #29
bikerbill

Agree that revolvers are less likely to fail you in a moment of need ... but ... the ease of reloading a semi, especially if your alternative is a 5-shot snubbie, can't be discounted and is the main reason I keep a 4-inch 1911 and a spare mag in my nightstand, not a revolver. Plus, in my experience unless you practice constantly with a lightweight revolver, you will be more accurate with a semiauto, given the reduction in recoil ... love shooting my revolvers, but unless it was all I had, I'll stick to the 1911 for HD ...

Hey, Wild, I love my NAA Pug, carry it all day at home ... just got some of the new Speer 40-gr Gold Dot ammo designed for short barrels (blv one inch qualifies) ... very accurate, probably hurts like hell if it hits you ...
Old April 28, 2011, 06:07 PM   #30
Deaf Smith

If all revolvers and all simi-autos are lumped into the same category, yea revolvers are more reliable as a whole.

BUT, if talking about the top makes of each kind, no.... Simi-autos are more reliable.

The Glock .vs. 1911 matches proved that with Glock 17s consistantly going over 1000 rounds WITHOUT ANY CLEANING. Not just one Glock 17, but for years EVERY Glock 17 used in the matches. The Glock 19s did the same to. Only the Glock 21, in .45, seemed to have about 3 stoppages consistantly.

Deaf
Old April 28, 2011, 07:12 PM   #31
Nnobby45

Quote:
But now - hey, you've made a beleiver out of me!

It's snubbie all the way for me from now on !
Yes, I agree! If you can't handle all home self defense situatations with a 5 shot snubbie---like Bubba the Door Buster and his 3 friends, then you can't handle it with your SIG P226, P220 Glock, XD, etc.

And we all know that, during times of extreme stress, fear, and adrenaline filled emotions, you'll have plenty of time to retreat to your long gun, if need be. Not to worry. Just make sure your primary hand gun has that short bbl. that Bubba and his three friends can't grab.

And, as an added bonus, it would be easy to run dry so that if Bubba did get it away from you, it would be empty as you sprint for your long gun---or the semi-auto that you could have had to begin with.

OK, I got carried away a little---just had a Red Bull.

Last edited by Nnobby45; April 28, 2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old April 28, 2011, 09:55 PM   #32
Roland Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0untZer0
OK, here is what you do... you buy one of those S&W 50 cal magnum revolvers... are you with me?
That's a good one, C0unt
Old April 29, 2011, 11:11 AM   #33
Edward429451

It don't have to be a 50 cal magnum, it can be an Airsoft pistol...Levels...
Old April 30, 2011, 02:14 PM   #34
8shot357

OPr Thanks for your responses

This is a great discussion of HD, my point was/is try to take my little pee shooter AKA S&W 38spl +P Airweight out of my hand at 3am in the morning.

It's easy for you/them to take that 21ga and shove it up your arse.

Pull back your little tiny baby (snub 38+p) and dump a load in them.

Well now I only have 5 shot's(!), Right? Did you ever hear of a NY reload? A SP101 (3") with .357 Rem 125g SJHPs. Then the rest is history. If they're not dead enough I pull out the serious stuff.

Them or me!