The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 7, 2009, 09:52 PM   #1
TJG0781

primers

Hey folks
I just bought some 30-06 brass used. As I was cleaning the primer pockets on some that were deprimed, I found that a number of them seemed to have the outside edge of the primer left in the shell. My primer pocket tool wouldnt insert into the pocket.
Any Ideas on how to remove these portions of broken primers?
Thanks
Old March 7, 2009, 10:37 PM   #2
PCJim

Use the search function in the blue bar above this thread and search for crimped primer pockets. Try to find a picture of what a crimped primer pocket looks like. Odds are you have some crimped brass. You'll be able to also gain some guidance in those threads on the various methods for dealing with the crimp.
Old March 7, 2009, 10:45 PM   #3
TJG0781

Thanks

Thanks PCJim.
Old March 7, 2009, 11:40 PM   #4
cgaengineer

I just use a 1/2 inch drill bit to remove my crimps, it takes about 2 sec each...just a quick rev of the drill and they are gone...others may have different methods but just telling you how I do it.

If you use my way of doing it you need to make sure the bit you get is an old style and not some type of bit with a pilot type end on it.
Old March 8, 2009, 12:01 AM   #5
bullspotter

Hes not asking on how to remover a crimp, but the side wall of the primer that remained in the brass due to the bottom of the primer breaking lose during decapping.
Old March 8, 2009, 07:20 AM   #6
cgaengineer

If its the primer walls still left in the case I would like to know an easy way to remove these as well since I have a whole bucket full of them! I had some that I thought were doing this and upon closer inspection it ended up still being a crimp...but I do have a thousand or so .223 with the primer wall still in the case. I have not tried, but they may come out with a drill bit?
Old March 8, 2009, 11:43 AM   #7
PCJim

I've never seen the cup of a primer separate from the primer wall during depriming, which is why I suggested that it might be a crimp problem.

CGA, I'm curious what brand primers you are using that break apart during depriming. Also, don't try to seat that 1/2" drill bit in the pocket!
Old March 9, 2009, 09:05 AM   #8
tbob38

I've got a small screwdriver that I use to pop these out. Screwdriver should have sharp edges on the end.
Old March 9, 2009, 11:18 AM   #9
protectedbyglock

I second the guess that it's military crimps.
I've never seen the wall of a primer come dislodged from the primer itself.
Can you post a pic, TJG?