The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 19, 2007, 11:39 AM   #1
markj

Had a confrontation the other day,

It was late like 10:30pm, I live out in the country, have 3 barns, cats dogs etc. I heard a dog barking since 8:30 or so, I put my 4 year old son to bed grabbed my .45 and went outside tolook around wit hmy 6 cell flashlight, I found a neighbors (just moved in down the road) dog in my barn with a cat backed up in the corner. So I grab a rake and shoo the dog out of the barn, he turned and started growling at me. I told that dog I was going to shoot him if he didnt get gone. I then hear a guy yelling at me he was going to kick my butt and to come meet him half way. I yelled back, "keep yer dog outta my barn and teach him not to growl at me on my land". Well this guy started coming towards me in a threatening fashion, gee you all may think I am a coward cause I turned and went inside he kept on yelling for awhile, then a sheriffs car came flying down the road almost hitting the guy he shut up and went inside. He now keeps his dogs on a chain.

I post this as a method for everyone to use when someone does this to you, simply leave the area and it will go away, if he follows you and tries anything, go into the house, call 911. If he kicks in the door after all of this then do what you must to prevent harm to yourself. I was just gonna go let my 4 dogs out, but they would have torn him up a bit.

Sometimes, after a person cools down they realize the true situation and will feel remorse. Most folks will anyway.
Old April 20, 2007, 01:34 AM   #2
chrisandclauida2

Quote:
I told that dog I was going to shoot him if he didnt get gone.
that will teach the dog
Old April 20, 2007, 02:27 AM   #3
Doggieman

next time take your shotgun. Nothin' scares trespassers like a 12 gauge.
Old April 20, 2007, 08:59 AM   #4
kickshot85

I'm sure many people out there could learn a lesson from your experience. It seems that there are way too many folks that would have confronted the man, allowing a rather benign situation to escalate into something much worse. You handled it really well, and exactly how the law would have wanted you to.

I definitely second doggieman on the 12 gauge. Go ahead and bring the .45 with you as well, but even at night you would have to be rather blind not to recognize the silhouette of a 12 gauge slung over someone's shoulder, it tends to be a good deterent. Glad everything worked itself out well.
Old April 20, 2007, 09:34 AM   #5
garryc

The dog is inside your barn growling at your cat. You shoo it and it turns on you. I would have (and have in like situations) shot that dog.
Old April 20, 2007, 09:44 AM   #6
junkpile

Having children with the dog on the loose, I'm impressed with your self restraint.

I think that the methodology people on this board approach the problem with can be split up, for the most part, into two ways. The first group is willing to escalate so long as they're morally in the right. The second is looking for a peaceful resolution, and sees escalation as a last resort.

I'd like to think I'm in the latter, but I've had mixed results, to be sure. More self-discipline is always good. I also think the latter is the better path, especially when any legal concerns arise.

Good that you gave the dog fair warning. Admire the way you handled the situation.
Old April 20, 2007, 09:53 AM   #7
markj

Quote:
I would have (and have in like situations) shot that dog.
I am a softy when it comes to dogs, the owner is responsible for the dog, he keeps the dog on a chain now (I hate to see that, I use invisible fence).

Now all I have to worry about it his horses getting into my garden as they get out daily
Old April 20, 2007, 10:58 AM   #8
BikerRN

I admire the way you handled the situation.

Too many, in this forum and others, would be wanting to shoot the dog and the owner. It may be morally right, but morality don't pay the legal bills, nor do the time if you are found guilty in court.

Biker
Old April 20, 2007, 11:51 AM   #9
garryc

it would depend on how much of a threat the dog posed, that's a judgment call. I had a girlfriend once who's daughter was mauled by a dog, ripped her face up. I have no tolerance for loose big aggressive dogs since. My mom was chased into her house by a neighbors dog once, she was fighting cancer at the time. I told the guy that if his dog was on my property again I'd kill it, two weeks later it came at me, 44 mag in the head. Later I was bow hunting on a friends property. A lady on a small lot saw me and let her dog out on me, she walked it to the porch and let it go. Fifth time I saw that dog on the property, she must have been waiting for my truck and seeing me let it go. An arrow down center did it in. I have no remorse, nor will I allow a darn dog threaten when I sure wouldn't let a man.
Old April 20, 2007, 02:39 PM   #10
DeathRodent

markj - sounds like you'd make a good neighbor.

You don't want to have bad blood with a neighbor - I think you handled it just right.
Old April 20, 2007, 06:45 PM   #11
Syntax360

Good job! Sounds like you handled the situation like a pro.
Old April 20, 2007, 07:14 PM   #12
Friiguy

I recently (monday) put my own dog down for just that type of thing.

Dont let some other guys dog harm you or yours.
I would have recomended shooting it, but it sounds like the guy interupted you doing that.
Old April 20, 2007, 07:28 PM   #13
revjen45

You did a good job. Afraid I would have have shot a dog with the temerity to growl at me in my own yard. I drew on a dog that menaced me on a public road. The next week I was walking by the same place and the white trash owner came out and threatened me. Given that I was outgunned (his house, likely a long gun available vs. a 5-shot .38) and any witnesses would have lied for him, so I said nothing and kept walking. Your neighbor sounds like belligerent drunk with whom you will have trouble again.
Old April 20, 2007, 09:46 PM   #14
DWARREN123

Maybe call or talk to the guy about what was going on, if face to face have a witness/non-relative present. Maybe inform him about how you felt about the dog growling at you and laws for pets in your area (leash laws). If it works out good and if not you tried.
Or just have a neighbor you don't talk to.
Old April 20, 2007, 09:55 PM   #15
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

Well done, Mark.

It's called de-escalation and it is the right thing to do when you are in a confrontation. *Especially* when you are carrying a firearm.

But you didn't need me to tell you that...

-Dave
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Old April 20, 2007, 10:01 PM   #16
rgates

Congrats., well done. I live in the country as well and have had problems with dogs from down the road. I would yell at them or throw something to scare them off. Once had one that was pretty persistent. Kept showing up a couple times a day for some time and enjoying my dogs and cats food. Scared easy, but always came back. I would really hate to hurt someones dog so I fired a .357 right between his feet. Went out of sight a 1/2 mile away still at mach 5. I think the dirt hittin the belly the same time as the report added effect.Never saw him again.
Old April 21, 2007, 04:59 PM   #17
possumking

Mark,

I hope that in that situation I have the same reserve that you've shown. That reserve I mean is for the owner not the dog.I live on a farm and have had over the years dogs, cats, goats, horses, cows, chickens, geese, pigs ( the biggest trouble makers of all) and I wouldn't put up with a dog threating me. I've taught all my dogs, when they were pups to let me take their food or bones from them with out them growling or such, they know I'm the alpha male. Having seen what a dog can do to a child, I think it would be in your best interest to see that a rogue is put down if it's ever called for again.

Tom
Old April 21, 2007, 07:59 PM   #18
10milg29

I would have shot it if it growled at me. Your neighbor should have had the common courtesy to keep his animals off your land.

Just my 2 pennies.
Old April 21, 2007, 09:24 PM   #19
MacGille

I lived on a working cattle ranch for a number of years. Our policy was to shoot any stray dog on your property. On sight. No one in the ranching community would question your actions. Stray dogs could be calf killers. On the other hand , when I was on LAPD I was walking over to a friends' house and a dog came off the porch of his house and attacked me barking and growling and trying to get around me to bite. The owner was sitting on the porch with a can of beer in his hand and watching the action. He made no effort to control his dog.( I was walking down a dirt street in Chatsworth) I yelled at him to call his dog off, When he made no effort to do so, I ended the confrontation with my off duty .38 S&W. Then he came off the porch and came at me. When he got up to me I ID'd myself and told him to remove the carcass from the road or he would be arrested for distubing the peace. It may have been a drastic way to handle the situation, but I WILL NOT be mauled by any dog. I don't attack any one and I will not be attacked.
Old April 22, 2007, 09:02 AM   #20
tegemu

Well Done!!!
Old May 15, 2007, 08:37 PM   #21
Merkaba

Quote:
I admire the way you handled the situation.

Too many, in this forum and others, would be wanting to shoot the dog and the owner. It may be morally right, but morality don't pay the legal bills, nor do the time if you are found guilty in court.
agreed

Quote:
next time take your shotgun. Nothin' scares trespassers like a 12 gauge.
good idea

well done, its too easy to imagine how an angry threatening neighbor and an armed neighbor could lead to very bad situation. you did the right thing.

by the way, did you call the sheriff or did he just happen to be going by ?
Old May 15, 2007, 09:20 PM   #22
Magdaddy

I've had similar situations over the last couple of years because of growth in the area I live in, I love dogs and it really gets me hot when people are not responsible for their animals, I know occassionally they get loose no matter what and I understand that and am sympathetic in those situations. I tell my neighbors "if you see my cows out chasing your dogs, shoot them. because if I see your dogs chasing my cows I'll shoot them"
Old May 15, 2007, 09:27 PM   #23
Tanzer

Just chiming in. Good job! The anti-gunners love to paint gun owners as hot heads. It's a big responsibility to own a firearm, and those who realize this resposibility and choose to de-escalate situations are taking the high road. This is a credit to those of us who truly understand our second ammendment rights.
Of course, the 12 guage helps de-escalte things a bit quicker.
Old May 15, 2007, 09:32 PM   #24
Swan Hunter

No damage to people or property...

I'd say it all went well! Any time you can avoid a serious altercation you are much better off...But, remain vigilant...Whaco neighbor may rear his head again!
Old May 16, 2007, 01:56 PM   #25
markj

Quote:
by the way, did you call the sheriff or did he just happen to be going by ?
Some one drove acar off the road and he was answering that call. This neighbor keeps his dogs home now, I wave at him when he goes by as Ido to all my neighbors. Gotta be neighborly to all, they will come around soon I suppose.

One thing I was taught early on, when you kill something it will never breath again, ever. I dont take defense lightly but I also dont go around killing things unless it is absolutly nessasary. Cats are another thing entirely feral cats that is.