The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 29, 2005, 09:55 PM   #1
Greybeard

New rattlesnake vaccine for our 4-legged friends

If not known already, figured that some of you guys and gals might have interest in some of this ...

http://www.webcanine.com/health.htm#snake

http://www.placervillevet.com/rattlesnake_vaccine.htm

http://espn.go.com/outdoors/sportin...en/2030630.html

http://americanwaterfowlers.com/for...php/t-6920.html (a vet there with somewhat of a "wait and see" posture)

We are in the process of adopting "Lola", about a 1 to 2 year old German Shorthair Pointer. The lady I'm getting her from, when told about recent rattlesnake encounter while scouting new lease, told me about this stuff. Gonna discuss it with vet shortly ...

Anyone out there had your dog vaccinated with this stuff yet?
Old May 9, 2005, 09:33 PM   #2
impact

I never have. the snake bite dogs that I have seen recovered just fine.

Good luck with your german shorthair pointer! I had one and it was a hard dog to deal with. The one I had had a mind of it's own and more so when it was alone. Some people don't like kennels but when you are not around sometimes it's good to keep them in a kennel. Good for you and the dog! Wish you luck with your new dog.
Old May 9, 2005, 10:13 PM   #3
Dean C

When I lived in Virginia, the best remedy for Copper Head Bites was Snake Weed. Grows naturally and you pick a couple fist fulls, render them down with water, feed it to the dog and within a day, the swelling goes down and the dog is fine.
dean
Old May 9, 2005, 11:17 PM   #4
Greybeard

Quote: "german shorthair pointer! I had one and it was a hard dog to deal with. The one I had had a mind of it's own and more so when it was alone. "

Sounds familiar. Lots of things from the house seem to find their way out the cat door into the back yard ...

I think this "Lola" was probably previously abused - gets cowed quickly when reprimanded. For the present, she's just becoming a part of the family. The Wife lets her stay inside most of the time. She loves to "go" with me when handy to let her tag along in the pickup or van. She got pretty excited in the pickup yesterday when a hawk was on the ground picking critters out of freshly mowed grass ... My teenage son quickly got her to catching tennis balls in the air ...

I've been real tied up with various projects - like "dog proofing" old fences - and not made time yet to start seriously working with her or to discuss new snake vaccination with vet ...
Old May 10, 2005, 12:59 AM   #5
InToItTRX
Registration in progress

A rattle snake bite can be very nasty, even for us humans. Good luck with your dog.