The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 5, 2014, 07:49 AM   #1
Closing The Gap

New to me Mini 14 stock question

I just traded for a Mini 14 stainless 196 series and from what I can tell it was produced in 2000 although my serial number is way below the number listed for the beginning of production for that year 196 000XX

I guess my reason for getting it is an A-Team fantasy I've had since I was younger.

The question I have is about aftermarket stock options. I want to purchase an ATI Strikeforce stock with the scorpion recoil system(so my youngest can shoot it comfortably). Has anyone had experience with these stocks? Are they any good? How difficult is the change over? Any problems I should be aware of?

Also any advice in general about Mini 14's as I've never even touched one before last night.

Old June 5, 2014, 08:02 AM   #2
Logs

Looking for a mini myself the price has really jumped on these. Used ones for $650-$700 range.
Old June 5, 2014, 08:46 AM   #3
uncle poop

I remember the gun from the A-Team show (I do have the series on dvd after all). I never knew what gun it was. I just do not remember it looking like that.
Old June 5, 2014, 08:49 AM   #4
psalm7

I bought a Strike force and pulled it back off and went back to my Buttler creek similar to what you have from the factory . Wasted $$ for stylish plastic . I took some rails and a drill and put a bottom rail on my BC stock to many accesories mess up the balance .
Old June 5, 2014, 09:02 AM   #5
Fishbed77

From the 2nd season on, the A-Team predominantly used stainless Mini-14s with folding stocks.

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/1/...Mini14gb-f.jpg
Old June 5, 2014, 09:26 AM   #6
skoro

Quote:
Also any advice in general about Mini 14's as I've never even touched one before last night.
I've had a Mini-14 ranch rifle for six years now. My advice would be to keep the current stock and save your money for ammo and/or a scope. Recoil is VERY mild and shouldn't be an issue for your son. Some of the pre-2007 production runs had mediocre accuracy that can be improved through installing an Accu-strut, which doesn't detract from the rifle's appearance.

http://www.amazon.com/Ruger-Strut-So...+strut+mini+14
Old June 6, 2014, 09:48 PM   #7
superspirit

I went with the houge overmolded stock from ruger, I like it a lot.
Old June 7, 2014, 04:38 PM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

Recoil should not be a concern with a gas operated rifle like the Mini-14. Length of pull, on the other hand, should be.

If the Mini-14 recoils too much, you can always drill out the butt and install a mercury recoil reducer.
Old June 8, 2014, 09:47 AM   #9
Closing The Gap

4V50 Gary You hit the nail on the head, the concern for my son was not the recoil as he shoots my RRA Operator 3 with no trouble. Its length of pull period. The Strikeforc stock is adjustable for length of pull.

skoro thanks for the advice on the strut. I will be ordering one.

So my question still stands is the Strikeforce simply a piece of junk or will it function well for the intended use of shortening the pull for my son?
Old June 9, 2014, 02:11 PM   #10
blfuller

Yours appears to have a Hogue stock on it currently which has a longer length of pull than the Ruger wood carbine stock. You could try the wood factory carbine stock and see if that will fit him which is a similar length to what is on the Ruger 10/22. Another option is the Choate stock that has the AR-15 type collapsible stock that would allow the length of pull to be adjusted to fit but it does not fold.

If you are set on the strike force stock, I would upgrade it with the optional aluminum tube instead of the all plastic version.
Old June 9, 2014, 03:53 PM   #11
Spats McGee
Staff

I have no experience whatsoever with the ATI stock. If LOP is of concern, though, Choate makes a telescoping stock for the Mini-14: http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/product/07-01-42
Old June 10, 2014, 12:10 AM   #12
SVTCobra306

I like my Butler Creek folder for the A-team effect, though I have a Choate wood folder that's waiting for me to get another mini (the one I have gets thrown in the truck/tractor/ranger a lot and I don't want to beat up the wood folding stock, it was a lucky find and the wood is flawless).

Mine's a 195 series, bought it new in 1998. I have never shot for groups at 100 yards, but it rings a 12" plate at a hundred with zero trouble, using a red dot sight. Good enough for coyotes
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor