The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 27, 2013, 06:45 AM   #1
BoogieMan

Proper grip with single actions

My buddy has a SBH made i the early 70's (its a guess) with ivoryish grips and a black finish. I absolutely love the looks of this gun. IMO its the apitamy of a revolver.
BUT, if I grip it tight and let the led fly it will sting the hand. If i grip it loose and let it slide a little its comfortable but I cant group. So what is proper?

Also- this gun shoots very low at 25yds. Out of adjustment on rear sight. Do we have to file it to bring it up? Is that common?
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old February 27, 2013, 07:58 AM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

you didn't mention the caliber...

if it's 45 Colt & you are using light bullets, ( I.E. 45 acp bullets ) it'll shoot low... heavier bullets will bring it up...

no matter what the caliber, if you are shooting lighter bullets than the factory regulated the gun for, you'll likely need either change out to a lower front sight or file it, if it's permanent

as far as the recoiling... when I 1st started shooting single actions, ( many years ago ) I switched all mine for soft rubber grips... now that I've matured ( both in age, & as a shooter ) I've switched all my rubber off my single actions... you want to let the gun rock up, but still control through the trigger pull, with the gun "rocking up" in a consistant follow through, if / when you can do this consistantly, your group size will get better...

my old single actions have become some of my favorite to shoot, my calibers range from 22 to 50 A.E.
Old February 27, 2013, 09:44 AM   #3
rodfac

Boogie...I just posted a rather in depth post on SA shooting in the thread entitled, "Shooting a Single Action Ruger. I've got a pic there of my grip which may help you. As to grip strength...it's as strong as you can grip without inducing a tremor and must be CONSISTENT, from shot to shot. My post on that other thread explains it in detail. Be advised, however, that firing heavily loaded magnums, in any hand gun, DA or SA, can be somewhat uncomfortable (a term my dentist loves to use).

Best Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old February 27, 2013, 10:13 AM   #4
kcub

All super blackhawks are 44 magnum, right?

Sounds like the gun has been sighted in for specials and the magnums being faster are impacting low as to be expected. The sights are adjustable if you don't like what it's doing, put the file away.
Old February 27, 2013, 10:18 AM   #5
rodfac

Plus one, Kcub...Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old February 27, 2013, 11:22 AM   #6
Magnum Wheel Man

I have a Super Blackhawk in 50 A.E.
Old February 27, 2013, 01:43 PM   #7
Bob Wright

Quote:

Does it letter from Ruger?

Bob Wright
Old February 27, 2013, 01:44 PM   #8
Magnum Wheel Man

no... but you knew that...
Old February 27, 2013, 01:47 PM   #9
Pathfinder45

Really?

Quote:
Probably wasn't born that way..... Is it a 5-shooter? I have always wondered why they don't offer the Super Blackhawk in 45 Colt or 454. I'm sure it would sell.
Old February 27, 2013, 01:52 PM   #10
Magnum Wheel Man

mine is custom... yes, a 5 shot...

Old February 27, 2013, 06:28 PM   #11
rodfac

Man, that .50's gotta hurt when you touch 'er off...even with those rubber grips...but the muzzle blast will kill whatever you're shootin' at no matter where the slug goes...not to mention the flame thrower effect...hit 'em? Nope but I sure incinerated the Llastard (with a B)! Just kiddin' ya along...Rod
Old February 27, 2013, 06:30 PM   #12
WildBill45

Borrow and shoot a .454 casuall for a few weeks, and you will never think your gun has recoil again!

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"