The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 31, 2013, 01:49 PM   #1
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Here's what we're up against

I just stumbled across an op-ed piece in one of Connecticut's daily newspapers by Connecticut's now-senior U.S. Senator, Blumenthal. It's a good example of how clueless our elected representatives are.

http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2...f963848385.txt

Jump to the top of the second page, and you'll find the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blumenthal
And to better protect the brave men and women who protect us, our law enforcement officials, this legislation would ban Teflon-coated bullets and incendiary ammunition. The current federal ban on armor-piercing ammunition exempts certain kinds of Teflon-coated bullets, as well as incendiary ammunition designed to ignite or explode on contact. These kinds of ammunition can defeat body armor, and pose a grave danger to law enforcement. They must be banned.
The Teflon-coated ammunition to which he refers achieved its penetration not because of the Teflon coating, but because it had a Tungsten (later steel) penetrator core. But that's not even the point. It was developed by a police officer and two coroners, for use by police. It was made by only one company, KTW, and was never adopted by any large department. The company folded more than ten years ago and the ammunition is not commercially available.

So this genius wants to ban a product that has been extinct for more than a decade.

I just don't know how anyone can possibly deal with such lunacy.
Old January 31, 2013, 03:02 PM   #2
Ronbert

Well, if you'd written all those op-eds 20 years ago wouldn't you want to use them again?

Saves time and no one (that you care about) will notice. Probably was retrieved by an intern and transmitted without any actual thinking.

Really, this AWB is just recycling the same noise from the runup to the Clinton AWB. It's the same instigators with the same story speaking to the same reporters asserting the same incorrect facts.
Old January 31, 2013, 03:16 PM   #3
Luger_carbine

These guys don't seem smart enough to know the difference between Teflon and Nylon.

I better go shoot what remains of my Nyclad stash.
Old January 31, 2013, 03:19 PM   #4
Warrior1256

This is just more of the usual crap from the antis. It is not about safety, it is about banning and over regulating as many firearms and related products as possible. They will never stop until civilian gunownership is outlawed.
Old January 31, 2013, 04:10 PM   #5
Jimboski

I always wonder : "80% of Americans agree", Where exactly do they get these figures, and how?!
Old January 31, 2013, 04:13 PM   #6
Spats McGee
Staff

Here's my favorite part:
Quote:
Given that large purchases of ammunition are often the fuel driving mass murders, this legislation would allow law enforcement officials to engage in proactive interventions — a potentially lifesaving opportunity.
Wait. So if I go buy 20K rounds, I will be suddenly and inexplicably overcome with an insatiable urge to commit murder?!?
Old January 31, 2013, 04:14 PM   #7
Jimboski

"Large amounts of ammo, fueling mass murders," It's the murderer fueling the murders! Geez...

And does that mean we will be under some special "watch" if we do buy that much ammo?
Old January 31, 2013, 04:19 PM   #8
Jimboski

"stop straw purchases and illegal trafficking"

Idk maybe they'll have undercovers pose as gun buyers, and wait for the crooks to play "hey mister". And are'nt they already supposed to be stopping illegal arms trafficking? or is the C.I.A handling that?....Hmmmmm
Old January 31, 2013, 04:24 PM   #9
JWT

What's the tipping point at which I need to be concerned that I have accumulated sufficient ammo to make me want to go out on a spree and commit a dastardly deed? Alas and alack, something else to worry about.
Old January 31, 2013, 05:56 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWT
What's the tipping point at which I need to be concerned that I have accumulated sufficient ammo to make me want to go out on a spree and commit a dastardly deed? Alas and alack, something else to worry about.
According to NY State, 8 rounds is the magic number.
Old January 31, 2013, 11:51 PM   #11
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I always wonder : "80% of Americans agree", Where exactly do they get these figures, and how?!
They make them up. The American public is renowned for its inability to reach a consensus on anything (and that's not necessarily a bad thing).

The closest thing we've ever had to than kind of agreement as a nation was directly after 9/11. You're not going to get anything near that for gun control.
Old February 1, 2013, 07:33 AM   #12
adamc

Yes that is what We here in Connecticut have to deal with...

I've posted before.. with our Connecticut Senators leading the parade..
They are Supposed to represent US.. the deals have already been made in the back room.

Don't blame me I didn't vote for him

The only good 2A IS a DEAD 2A......
according to the anti's

Connecticut was the Cradle of the Gun Industry, NOW it is just a Pine Box,
Courtesy of our Governor "Chairman MAO Malloy"
Old February 1, 2013, 07:46 AM   #13
adamc

and to think MY tax money pays this clown..

Connecticut was the Cradle of the Gun Industry, NOW it is just a Pine Box,
Courtesy of our Governor "Chairman MAO Malloy"
Old February 1, 2013, 09:23 AM   #14
win-lose

Quote:
They make them up.
Isn't this the same guy who gave a speech describing his heroic combat experiences in Vietnam, but in fact never served in Vietnam? Once caught, didn't then say he simply misspoke... didn't lie... just misspoke. AND HE WAS STILL RE-ELECTED!!!!!!!!

sorry.... I'm better now....
Old February 1, 2013, 10:05 AM   #15
Aguila Blanca
Staff

^^^ Now that you mention it, I believe I remember reading about that awhile ago.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_1...53-503544.html

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; February 1, 2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old February 1, 2013, 06:19 PM   #16
Suuri Suomi

There is an entire generation of voters now who do not remember AWB or it meant nothing to them. Pretty much anyone under 30. The "millennials," the constructed demographic in whom so many powerful people have put their hopes of creating the new world political, consumerist, and social order. They are largely the children of broken homes, who got zero culture at home, never mind responsible gun culture. They were raised by TV and, increasingly, among the younger ones, the World Wide Web.

The Democrats have cultivated this demographic with the Internet and its offshoots, and they came through bigtime in November of 2008 after having their strings pulled with hope and change and a lot of vague talk about...um I can't even remember, coz none of it made sense to me. (They weren't quite so keen in '10.)

IMO the political strategy here is to simply reach back and play the old tunes to a new, and large, generation. So of course we're seeing a lot of recycled silliness. As ronbert said, some intern probably pulled this from the files, and went, "Oh, wow, this is genius!"

This is why taking young newbies to the range is very important. We're making it part of our new year, on March 9:

http://www.takeanewbieshooting.com/

Roast pig and homebrew after!