The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 12, 2013, 05:00 PM   #26
Hawg

I'd try it with the stock screws installed. I never noticed them when shooting mine.
Old January 12, 2013, 05:25 PM   #27
deerslayer303

Quote:
I do have a Uberti 1851 NIB that would go nice with that 1860
Oh my goodness Tom, you're killing me......see your inbox.

Hawg, I will try it out. From looking at pics I really don't see it as a problem, if it is I'll try the plug thing posted on here.

Beagle, A Walker is on the list too.
Old January 12, 2013, 05:41 PM   #28
TomADC

Shawn, I have a Walker also
Old January 12, 2013, 05:45 PM   #29
deerslayer303

Oh my!!! You are a one stop shop I'm liking it
Old January 13, 2013, 04:58 AM   #30
Gatofeo

If you want an open top Colt, and since you already have .44 caliber, I'd suggest the 1860. It was the most modern design that Colt put out, before the cartridge guns.
Folks will take me to task on this, stating that the 1861 in .36 caliber was the most advanced, but it's really a non-issue. Both are identical designs, just different calibers.
The 1860 is an accurate shooter, contrary to what many claim about the Colts and their wedge system. If the wedge is in tight, the Colt will shoot accurately, all other things being equal.
I have a Pietta-made Colt 1860 that will put six .454" diameter balls into 2 inches at 25 yards from a benchrest. My Uberti-made Remington with fixed sights will equal that, and occasionally better it.
But I have no doubt that the Colt is the Remington's equal in accuracy. It's just that my 57-year-old eyes don't deal as well with those rudimentary Colt sights.
If you want a .44, get the 1860.
For .36 caliber, I suggest the 1861. It has the same balance as the 1851, but a much better loading lever and greater clearance under the rammer for loading coincal bullets, if you desire.
The 1861 is an improved 1851.
Buy an Uberti. The rifling is deeper than Pietta. This helps to shrug off fouling in the barrel and may aid accuracy. My Ubertis tend to be slightly more accurate than my Piettas, in my experience.
Sounds like you have some pondering and deciding to do ...