The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 9, 2007, 09:49 PM   #1
FirstFreedom

Pelican 1-man Getaway 100 Kayak Review

If you'll recall my thread on float tube deer hunting, this goes along with. Bought this thing Sat and tried it out yesterday:

http://www.pelicansport.com/getaway-100.html

It's a 10-footer.

Upsides are *very* fast, & small and light enough (42 lbs) to manhandle with just me, both in the house and outdoors - I can just lift it up over my head - but it also has a drag handle on either end. This size is perfect to just throw on top the pickup's camper shell and tie down with some bungees attached to the rear view mirrors and elsewhere - so light and non-abrasive that I didn't need to use any kind of buffer material - just laid it upside down on top, and away I went - no scratches.

Downsides are, I learned that like a canoe, it dumps you if you don't stay very well centered when getting in and out - got dunked, from my wallet to my Kahr when exiting kayak. Could be bad in cold weather. But with practice & care, I think you can stay dry. Beyond that, it doesn't hold much gear either in space or weight - 275 lbs max capacity, including yourself. Also, it's a one-man deal, so it's for solitary outdoorsmanship, not social events. Well, I suppose your buddy(s) can get his own kayak and go with. Oh, maneuverability leaves something to be desired - the thing is very slow to respond to steering (i.e. repeated paddling on the same side), and then overreacts eventually like it's got stored up momentum - hard to keep in straight line.

Anyway, I may try it for deer hunting this fall. When the leaves are dry, it's bound to be quieter snaking down the creek than trampling around on foot. Might be good for early season when it's hot and deer hit the creek for a drink in the afternoon. Will work great for fishing, too - it's got 3 rod holders in it. It was $399 at Academy. Overall, I'm pleased. Sortof a happy medium between a float tube and a canoe or small fishing boat like a jon boat. Faster & holds more gear than a float tube, but smaller & lighter than a small fishing boat - no trailer needed and easier to throw on top than a heavier canoe.

Only tangential to hunting really, but I thought it was worth mentioning in case any hunters here were contemplating getting one.
Old July 10, 2007, 02:18 AM   #2
Yithian

I can hear it now.

BOOM!
Splash.

Followed by cursing so foul, that the deer stand there in awe.
Old July 10, 2007, 02:45 AM   #3
oldbillthundercheif

Quote:
• Fisherman friendly kayaks with superior
stability Molded seat with bottle holder
I bet the influence of the bottle holder outweighs the influence of the "stability seat".

Can you use your rifle to eskimo roll that thing when you end up upside down? I bet a rifle makes a crappy oar.
Old July 10, 2007, 10:21 AM   #4
FirstFreedom

Quote:
BOOM!
Splash.

Followed by cursing so foul, that the deer stand there in awe.
That sounds about right.

Yeah, the extra "stability" still ain't too much.
Old July 10, 2007, 10:42 AM   #5
fisherman66

I have a 10 foot pond prowler that cost a couple hundred more (new). It came with a tolling motor and battery. It seats 2 and one should be able to throw a deer in as well. It has a 6" draft and is about 3 feet wide. Unfortunately the cup holders are not insulated. I've fished it about 50 times and the only time I went into the "drink" was when I didn't tie it up well and it "self-launched". I was able to take my time and keep my dry goods dry. The only down side I see for your application is it's width.
Old July 10, 2007, 11:54 AM   #6
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the wonderful world of wild & wet, FF! The maneuverability issue will resolve itself with practice. They are actually very maneuverable.

I've enjoyed kayaking whitewater (only class II and III, I'm not that adventurous ) for years, but I use an Otter, which is a little shorter and wider at the beam. Once you try it (whitewater), you'll be hooked for life. Securing your gear (and keeping it dry) can be a problem, though.

Bill brought up a good point. Whatever else you learn to do, learn that Eskimo roll! It can be a lifesaver.... literally.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old July 10, 2007, 12:13 PM   #7
Musketeer

My father and I got a couple Wilderness Systems Pungos back in 2001. I believe they are about 11 foot with a wide beam and an open cockpit. Excellent for small rivers and getting in and out of narrow places. Not an open water ocean kayak and certainly not a whitewater boat. Excellent for casual cruising and fishing. Very stable, more so than a canoe. To paddle effectively and manuever you need to learn how to properly stroke. You will learn to turn by paddling with a forward reaching sweeping motion on the opposite side from which you wish to turn into. Using the paddle as a rudder costs you energy to turn and that adds up after a couple hours.

Secure everything. I have never gone over but I have seen plenty of others do so. More than once I have run interception on their stuff floating down river for them.

I would rather NOT try to shoot from one. If you do manage to get a deer just exactly how are you going to pack it out with a small one person kayak?

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin