The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 19, 2005, 03:47 PM   #1
Dave R

Pulled milsurp bullets?

In my never-ending quest to shoot more for less cost, I'm considering using the 147 gr. pulled milsurp bullets in my plinking loads for my K-31 and .308. At a cost of $55 per 1,000 (what's shipping cost? drat!) they reduce my ammo cost from about $5.20 per 20 using commercial bullets, to about $3.80 (plus shipping?) for the milsurp bullets.

Anybody here use 'em? How is accuracy? I've got sub-MOA loads worked up using the commercial bullets. Am I going to go back to 2MOA with the surplus bullets?
Old March 20, 2005, 01:58 PM   #2
Mark whiz

I guess that depends on what commercial bullets your worked up loads used. If you used say the 147gr Winchester bulk FMJs, then you can expect similiar results with the pulled mil-surplus. If you used a higher quality bullet, then accuracy will degrade some. Most Military ammo is at best 2MOA ammo - and figuring some of that is due to bullets and some due to powder charge; you know what will happen to accuracy. I'm using some now for practice ammo in my M1A, and they are about the same as the bulk winchesters (and I figure that these bulk Winchesters often find themselves in Military ammo at the Lake City plant).
!
Old March 20, 2005, 07:59 PM   #3
Japle

I used to use pulled 139gr FMJ 7mm bullets in my silhouette handguns. Accuracy was fine (2 1/2" @ 100M with iron sights) and I saved a lot of money with them.
I got them from some company near Phoenix 20-25 years ago.

John
Cape Canaveral
Old March 20, 2005, 08:34 PM   #4
Dave R

The loads I worked up so far are all 150 gr. bullets--Speer and Sierra Spitzers. And Speer's' 150gr FMJ military equivalent. So the bullet weight will be within a few grains.
Old March 20, 2005, 09:23 PM   #5
Mark whiz

Well then, I'd say you're good to go then. Plug in those Mil-Surps and see what happens. You might have to tweak the charge a couple tenths or maybe the OAL a tad .............. but you should still be in the ballpark.
!