The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 5, 2007, 08:56 PM   #1
goosevr1

Shipping Gunpowder - Moving Sale??

I'm (thankfully) moving from New Jersey to beautiful Colorado in 4 weeks and am having some trouble relocating my "guns 'n stuff."

I've gotten some good advice and already confirmed with the local UPS Customer Counter that I can ship my handguns and longguns without a problem.

Ammo I believe I can ship without a problem too, packaged and with the proper ORM-D Small Arms, Cartridges label.

What I don't know about is the large amounts of powder (Bullseye and Varget mainly) and primer that I still have. From the best of my knowledge, I can't ship any of it because its hazmat. It would seem that the big companies (Natchez, Midway, etc.) ship it common carrier (ground) since they are "licensed" hazmat shippers (which I'm not).

Anyone with experience in this area?
Old December 6, 2007, 07:20 AM   #2
Thesenator

Is there a local gun shop with a hazmat shipping certification that might do it for you? Worth a try.

If not, you might think about selling it locally and just replace it after you move.
Old December 6, 2007, 07:39 AM   #3
Martyn4802

Just a thought to add. If you will be driving your car out to Colorado, you might want to transport the powder along with you in your car.

Martyn
Old December 6, 2007, 07:49 AM   #4
remshooter

Is there a reason you can not send it with your other belongings?
Not that it really matters I don't guess.
Old December 6, 2007, 08:08 AM   #5
billindenver

I would box it and ship it with the furniture.

By the way...welcome to colorado. You have no idea the upgrade in living you just made. Where are you moving to?
Old December 6, 2007, 04:23 PM   #6
goosevr1

Moving to Boulder.

Any tips on getting my CCW? It's my understanding I'm a permanent resident after living in CO for 90 days or being employeed (whatever is first). That being the case I'll be a resident right away, which means I can get my Colorado DL and apply almost immediately for CCW?

I've been carrying a FL CCW for a while now, but haven't had much use for it. Moved to NJ and turned it into a out of state FL CCW, which hopefully will be turned soon into a CO CCW.
Old December 6, 2007, 04:38 PM   #7
tomh1426

I thought places like midway shipped primers seperate from anything else u may order.
Old December 6, 2007, 05:32 PM   #8
Alleykat

Quote:
I thought places like midway shipped primers seperate from anything else u may order.
That's only because Midway ships from two different locations for powder and primers. Many companies ship powder and primers together. I'd box all that stuff up and ship it along with the furniture, like the other guy said. (Of course, I'm not the kind of guy who'd ever live in NJ or CO, either!)
Old December 6, 2007, 05:43 PM   #9
crowbeaner

Just box the powder and primers seperately and pack it with your normal stuff. Just be sure to put it in the truck towards the last end so you can get it out in case of a fire emergency. You won't be able to replace it at the same price you paid for it unless you bought it rather recently anyway, so why lose more money because of New Jerky. Serious upgrade moving west of the Big Muddy anyway. Send us some pics of the Rockies. UPS will ship hazmat stuff, but you have to have an address for them to deliver to. It helps to have someone there to get the package when it arrives anyway. CB.
Old December 6, 2007, 07:06 PM   #10
billindenver

Boulder? I wouldn't be surprised if they threw you out of town for suggesting a CCW in boulder. Your life is about to get really interesting, that much is certain. Listen, please do not judge the rest of colorado by the people you are about to meet and live near.

When they make you crazy...move 15 miles outside of boulder where the laws of physics begin to work again and reality comes back into focus. There are strange forces at work in that town.

Bill
Old December 6, 2007, 09:43 PM   #11
langenc

I was wondering who would lower the boom on Boulder??

In the late 70s the BIGGEST Weatherby dealer was in BOULDER-specifically 'The Bank of Boulder'. They had the Weatherby gun for a CD plan. Have not heard of anything like that for many years now.
Old December 6, 2007, 11:38 PM   #12
billindenver

However, when you get in town....post up and I'll show you some good ranges to play at. Have you heard about the oh so wonderful animal...we like to call...Elk? Not many of those in Jersey I imagine.

You are in for a treat, colorado is an amazing state. Boulder, while not my cup of tea, is without question the most beautiful of our nearby towns. Close enough to denver to be within civilization but far enough out. I very seriously considered moving there. It is a beautiful area.
Old December 7, 2007, 09:32 AM   #13
Mach II Sailor

when i moved FROM Colo. to the Great state of Arizona, i took all my guns, gear and reloading stuff in my own vehicle, why don't you ??
Old December 7, 2007, 12:05 PM   #14
goosevr1

I might just make the drive - I was somewhat hoping to avoid the long stretch between NJ and Colorado (1800 miles seems somewhat long).

Again, perhaps not a bad time to reflect on leaving NJ for a much friendlier state in regard to firearms.

So...Boulder is somewhat hippy-ish and liberal. Are there other towns in the same county (since CCW permits are done by county in CO)?

How's the town of Longmont? Can I still apply and easily obtain (shall issue) a CCW in boulder?