The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 22, 2014, 05:09 PM   #1
1stmar

Any tricks for eye fatigue

Struggling to maintain a clear sight picture when shooting more then 30-45 min. My focus just isn't there. I wear prescription glasses when shooting. I always take them off between groups. Any thoughts of tricks on improving focus for a longer period of time?
Old June 22, 2014, 05:26 PM   #2
jmr40

Do you close one eye? It will be less strain if both are open. Some guys struggle with this, but both should be open for a variety of reasons if at all possible. If you simply cannot do this a piece of paper over the lense of your glasses of the non shooting eye will allow you to keep it open and still see the sights.
Old June 22, 2014, 05:32 PM   #3
1stmar

Generally I do shoot with one eye. I have been experimenting with two eyes open. I think I can do it with rifle, tried for years w pistol, can't do it.
Old June 22, 2014, 06:45 PM   #4
taylorce1

A piece of scotch tape on the eyeglass lens of your non dominate eye will work as well.
Old June 22, 2014, 06:52 PM   #5
TXAZ

Inside and outside or just outside?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old June 22, 2014, 07:22 PM   #6
Slopemeno

I found that longer practice sessions were counter-productive. More frequent, shorter sessions made a positive difference.
Old June 22, 2014, 07:23 PM   #7
mete

Within the 45 min you should occassionaly close your eyes or at least not intently focus on a point
Old June 22, 2014, 07:29 PM   #8
1stmar

Almost exclusively shoot outside. Patch is worth a try. I'm lucky to get out once a week, usually 2-3 times a month so I try to get in as much as possible. Sometimes it's iron sights, (usually) sometimes it's scoped but usually it's both.
Old June 22, 2014, 07:47 PM   #9
TXAZ

Outside also bothers me more particularly when very bright. I got some very dark polarized sunglasses that helped a lot.

Good luck.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old June 22, 2014, 08:00 PM   #10
bt380

I don't know how true this is, but I was told that taking off and putting on glasses causes eye strain as your eye has to adjust. That is why we see better in the morning than later in the day. If your eyes are fatiguing, may be you need a new prescription. At any rate that is what the eye doc told me. I bought some new glasses and my eyes were less tired. May be it was all in my head (or his pocket). But I see better with my new specs.
-
PS: Coffee, sugar can cause issues as well.
Old June 22, 2014, 08:20 PM   #11
HKFan9

Practice till you get it wrong... short sessions where you think you are doing good do nothing for you in the long run. Longer sessions fatigue anyone... what matters is your ability to perform under that added stress... whether in competition, a long day of hunting, or in combat.

Like others said, you can help by throwing some medical tape on your shooting glasses. I have the opposite of you, shooting an AR or handgun two eyes open is fine and feels natural, sometimes when behind a scoped rifle I want to close an eye, but I found the tape helps get over that. Now I can shoot two eyes open with a scope with out much thought.

If you are out doors, and long sessions... especially in the sun... bring a snack... nothing huge that will weigh you down, but a granola bar or something, and hydrate. It sounds stupid, but it can make all the difference in the world. I was at work for a range event in the high summer heat and humidity on the shooting range for nearly 10 hours. You couldn't give me enough water or gatorade that day. At some points I found it very hard to focus on my sights or targets when I started to feel hungry or dehydrated.
Old June 22, 2014, 08:30 PM   #12
1stmar

I think part of it is use of the spotting scope. When shooting irons, I frequently bounce back and forth between the irons and the scope so I can see the hits.
Old June 22, 2014, 08:50 PM   #13
HKFan9

Do you normally wear perscription glasses daily? This puts a strain on the eye even but I have glasses but they are only for driving at night really due to an issue with my eye. So I rarely wear them doing anything else, only when allergies act up and my eyes are really bothering me.

If you are taking them off n on between strings and aren't used to wearing them all the time, this can give the same effect as using the spotting scope.
Old June 22, 2014, 08:53 PM   #14
1stmar

I have two sets of prescription glasses. 1 for reading and 1 for driving. I only wear them when I need to (reading,shooting or driving at night)
Old June 23, 2014, 09:00 AM   #15
wogpotter

Look away from the scope & target frequently using both eyes.

Just let your vision roam randomly about between shots. This allows the muscles controlling focus & position to "take a break" from the one "locked in" positions & gives them a break. Its a bit like standing to attention for long periods. if you slightly rock to the toes & back you don't get tired because the muscles get to have a change, however slight.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old June 23, 2014, 03:47 PM   #16
Erno86

Don't use a cheap spotting scope or binoculars --- they'll just give you a headache. Buy the best spotting scope you can afford.

Vision will get blurry...due to lack of breathing {which can happen during a long respiratory pause while aiming the rifle or pistol}--- but don't over oxygenate, or you might get dizzy or faint. If you do get dizzy...you can breathe in a paper bag.

Don't stare at your target for long periods of time...especially before you're going to shoot. Give the rods in your eyes a break --- by breaking-off staring tunnel vision like at the target --- by turning your head an eyes to an fro; while accessing other possible targets or wind doping; even after a shooting string.

Get 8 hours of sleep before a shooting session. Eye supplements do help {other than the possible foods that carry them}, like: bilberry, lutein, zeaxanthin and astaxanthin.

--- George Orwell

Last edited by Erno86; June 23, 2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old June 23, 2014, 06:19 PM   #17
1stmar

Thanks for the tips guys. 8 hours of sleep?? Hell I'll need some tips for that too! Haven't seen 8 hours in 30years. Maybe 8 hours in 3 days.
Old June 24, 2014, 12:11 PM   #18
Erno86

Magpul labels the head turning after a shot string as "search an assess."

--- George Orwell

Last edited by Erno86; June 27, 2014 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Spelling error from access to assess
Old June 25, 2014, 09:08 PM   #19
Boncrayon

Any tricks for eye fatigue

Make sure you are using your dominant eye in direct line of the sights. Also, with prescription glasses, the curvature of the lens can distort on the outer edges, calling for a direct straight forward look-see to the center of the lens. I close my non-dominant eye because of an astigmatism. I you have the same problem, try closing the non-dominant eye. Bi-floccules can also strain the eye depending on your direct line of sight through the lens.
Old June 26, 2014, 02:33 AM   #20
1stmar

I am right handed and left eye dominant. I shoot w my right eye. Im not sure I could get into a repeatable rest position w my left eye. That feels awkward.
Old June 26, 2014, 02:59 AM   #21
1stmar

So if I wear reading glasses I should leave them on throughout the session, ie going down range to change targets etc.. even if I don't normally wear them.
Old June 27, 2014, 01:13 PM   #22
Erno86

Shooting left handed may feel awkward at first --- especially with a right handed ejection port along with right handed safeties --- but learning to shoot ambidextrous, should add another plus in you're shooting form.

I'm training to shoot ambi myself.

--- George Orwell
Old June 27, 2014, 03:43 PM   #23
Deja vu

Sun glasses when not shooting. Also looking at close up things and really far things a few times will help. I recommend a book (I use a reloading manual) Then occasionally looking at the clouds if out doors. try to take a break as long as you shoot. If you shoot 45 min then take a 45 min break where you read and look at the clouds (or what ever you pick) I find it helps me as do the sun glasses.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old June 27, 2014, 05:09 PM   #24
1stmar

Going to try some of this tomorrow. Getting a patch, will try some of the other recommendations.
Old June 27, 2014, 10:37 PM   #25
skywag

See if you need cataract surgery. After that, you will see better than any time in your life.