The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 15, 2013, 11:15 PM   #1
Martowski

Gun Shop 1911 Observations: Wilson Combat, Kimber, and Sig

I have a S&W Performance Center 1911 (the 5" full size model) coming my way, so I've been on a bit of a 1911 kick as of late. The S&W has not yet arrived (I should be picking it up on Monday), but in my current stable I have an STI Spartan and a Kimber Classic Custom Target. The Classic Custom Target is an older pre-1998 model with serial number below 25,000.

Today, I stopped by a very good local store to look at some different 1911's to serve as a "baseline comparison" for me to evaluate against the fit, finish, and feel of the S&W once it arrives. Of course, I was only able to look at one sample of each type of 1911 listed below so my observations may not be representative of the entire model line, but here's my perceptions (in the order I looked at each pistol):

Kimber Grand Raptor II: overall finished nicely; I actually liked the odd texturing on the front strap more than I thought I would. Trigger breaks somewhere around 4 lbs. However, the trigger had a bit of perceptible grit/creep before break. While this may work itself out in use, I was a little less than impressed to feel this in what should be one of Kimber's finest offerings. When working the slide back and forth, it felt somewhat gritty and rough. I wouldn't have been turned off on it if it had been on a low-end pistol and, again, I know this would smooth up with use. But, I expected it to feel smoother. I would not have paid the price they were asking for this specific pistol as the impression I got was that the looks were more impressive than the feel.

Wilson Combat X-Tac: smooth... everywhere. Slide feels like butter moving back and forth on the frame. Trigger breaks right around 3.5 - 4 lbs and it's a crisp, no creep, no grit break. Hefty price tag... somewhere around $2,700 I believe, but this pistol felt wonderful. Of course, one would expect a Wilson Combat to feel as such. Some lucky customer will be happy to take this one home.

Sig STX: the slide had very noticeable overhang over the frame at the rear, which surprised me. It was even what I would consider sloppy in appearance at this point; my STI Spartan is more nicely mated in this area. There was a very visible step between the extended mag well funnel and the frame; it was apparent that no attempt at smoothing this transition had been made. The slide didn't feel as gritty against the frame as the Kimber, but didn't feel what I would consider overly smooth either. Trigger seemed to break around 4 lbs. w/o any perceptible creep. I liked the look of the Sig, but was honestly surprised by the lack of what I would consider finishing touches.

After this, I came back home and looked at my "lowly" Custom Classic Target again. I think I've been taking this pistol for granted, as it feels extremely smooth in cycling, has nicely radiused edges, shows careful mating between the slide and frame at the rear, and has an outstanding trigger that breaks clean and crisp at exactly 3 lbs.

Again, these are very non-scientific observations and are not meant as reviews or to be reflective of what someone might see in another example of each specific 1911. However, I just thought I'd share since it's top of mind and, well, sharing is what we do on TFL! I'll post observation on the S&W Performance Center once it has arrived.