The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 10, 2011, 01:58 PM   #1
relictrader

M855 POWDER REPLACEMENT For 223

Opened up and weighed several Green Tiped M855's and cannot match powders by looking and comparing.
The Military M855 is a Supper Fine Flake Powder at about 27+ grains.
Can someone suggest an good replacement?
Old April 10, 2011, 02:43 PM   #2
jb683

the SS109's that I have loaded have been with H335 powder. About 25.5 grains will funtion well in AR's and mini14's. Hard to find data on military rounds. I have no crony so mv remains unknown, but it does work well. Have tried Varget, H4198, and H4895, but the H335 seems to meter better/consistant as it is a ball powder.
Old April 10, 2011, 02:57 PM   #3
medalguy

5.56mm military ammo uses WC 844 powder. This is available as pulldown surplus and I've used a lot of it. I bought 100 pounds a few years ago when it was cheap and that's all I've used for 5.56.

You do need to understand this is not a cannister grade powder like most reloaders are accustomed to purchasing. Military ammo is loaded with bulk grade powders. This powder is made in large lots and each lot is tested for burning rate and velocity and pressure. The load is adjusted to yield the desired velocity and pressure. With commercial grades of powder, the powder itself is adjusted to yield the desired velocity and pressure,so every can burns at exactly the same rate and yields the sale pressure, just the opposite of what the military does.

WC 844 is an excellent powder, but if you don't want to use an unfamiliar powder, H335 will yield practically the same velocity and you can easily repeat it with each can of powder.
Old April 10, 2011, 04:01 PM   #4
relictrader

EXCELLANCE....I thought it would not be simple,so had to ask?
27 + grains of WC844 produces better than most velocity,so need to
consider how they got there?
Old April 10, 2011, 08:24 PM   #5
Loader9

If the brass is headstamped as NATO ammo, it probably is loaded with Ramshot TAC. NATO started to specify this powder a few years back. It's extremely temperature stable and produces same velocities at extreme temps. It also burns exceptionally clean and exceptionally cool which makes the gas system operational for longer periods of time. The normal loading for it is 26.7 grs under the green bullets.
Old April 10, 2011, 09:01 PM   #6
goose2w1

Don't know if they still use the WC844, but I bought a good amount years back, and use H335 data. They stuff is a great all around powder as far as I can tell. It's the only rifle powder I use and I load .30-30, .223, .303, 7.5 french, and 7.62x54 with it, and get very good results.
Old April 11, 2011, 07:44 AM   #7
trixter

[If the brass is headstamped as NATO ammo, it probably is loaded with Ramshot TAC. NATO started to specify this powder a few years back. It's extremely temperature stable and produces same velocities at extreme temps. It also burns exceptionally clean and exceptionally cool which makes the gas system operational for longer periods of time. The normal loading for it is 26.7 grs under the green bullets.]

Just got back into reloading after a 30 year hiatus. Loading for AR-15. using Ramshot TAC, and loving it. Took a little while to get the powder thrower all lubed up with the graphite in the powder, but all is well now. I am also using the TAC for 300 Savage and in my 30-06. nice stuff. For the .223 I am using 24.7 gr under Sierra 55gr BT/HP Amazing accuracy.