The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 9, 2006, 11:12 AM   #1
castnblast

Bulk Brass Prep

I never had bought bulk brass for rifles before because when I was younger I didn't know any different, and when I got older and new different, I was reloading 300 win mag, and 7mm rem mag. I had plenty of once fired factory brass and didn't shoot enough to "need" to buy bulk brass.

I bought my first "varmint" caliber, 22-250, and love to shoot it, since it doesn't beat me up. I now have the "need" and have bought 500 pieces of fresh brass...

O.K...I'm very familiar w/ case prep. I have measured COL on all cases and they are consistant, (I bought remington brass, and was somewhat surprised based on comments about it) after running them through the full lenght sizer die. I have chamfered the necks inside and out. I'm debating annealing. Has anyone had issues w/ cracked necks on remington brass? Is there anything else I should be doing to prep this brass prior to loading?

I'm not poping p-dogs, just yotes, and an occaisional hog and Javelina. I'm getting 3/8-1/2 inch groups w/ remington once fired brass, so I figured why switch. That's pretty dang good as far as I'm concerned.
Old October 9, 2006, 12:04 PM   #2
rwilson452

22-250 brass

The annealing is done at the factory. They then clean it up. I have used up a lot of brass. the neck does get weak after a bit but I note the accuracy goes first before there is any damage I can see. I just buy new brass when my accuracy gets below .5 MOA. I'm using a Rem. 700 VLS Mostly on groundhogs with an occational other varmint that shows up. Yotes, crows, skunks and the like. I have found that OAL is critical and my remmy has a very deep throat so to get close to the lands I need to load 55 gr bullets. In my rifle the Sierra 55gr BTHP and BlitzKings work best. As always your mileage may vary. The best accuracy I ever got was with 39 gr of H380 and the Sierra 55gr BTHP. Ten rounds one ragged hole at 100 yards. Unfortunately the next lb of H380 didn't work as well. 35 gr of IMR4895 works well too for that bullet weight.
Old October 9, 2006, 01:53 PM   #3
Ben Shepherd

The comments you heard were most likely some of mine regarding remington pistol brass.

Oddly enough, I've had very good results with thier rifle brass.

One thing you might consider is deburring the flash holes. It's a one time thing. Then you're done with it. I do this with ALL my new brass, be it pistol or rifle.

NRA certified rifle, pistol and shotgun instructor.
Hunter education instructor
Old October 9, 2006, 03:58 PM   #4
castnblast

Thanks guys. While you're at it, I was at Cabela's this weekend and bought lots of stuff. My 3 year old was with me, and in my haste, I picked up the Sierra Game King 55 gr boat tail FMJ instead of the Spitzers Boat Tails. They must have been on the shelf wrong. Anyway, I can only blame myself. Will this open up at high velocities on bone or stay intact? I know it's designed to stay intact but I was curious what happens when that puppy hits bone at 3700+fps. I'm using 36.5gr. of IMR 4064 w/ Sierra Game King 55 gr. Spitzer Boat Tails.