The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 19, 2013, 07:18 PM   #51
KMAX

OP here. Some interesting responses. I don't believe there are any necessarily right or wrong answers to this question. It is more of a question of opinion or point of view. I believe it would have to be a comparison of calibers rather than labeling one as high powered. Compared to what? I suppose there would have ONE accepted standard or a set of standards to compare to to actually be able to categorize a cartridge. As far as I can tell there are no such standards, but we still have opinions.

Also, it wouldn't sound as terrible to say someone was shot with an intermediately or moderately powered rifle or a low powered low capacity handgun.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old July 20, 2014, 07:46 PM   #52
Fingers

High Power - The Definitive non-definition.

It exists as law for air powered rifles and pistols. In some states as the legal size for hunting various animals. The rest is meaningless propaganda and re-defining to fit an agenda. Along with other words and definitions ill used in modern pop illiteracy such as clip for magazine, decimate, perSON to replace a term deemed sexist when a perfectly accurate gender non specific term is always available. Chair for Chairman or Chair woman, Helm or Helmer for Helmsman and OMG Jarhead for Marine. Let's see podium used instead of rostrum, desk, lectern and the grand daddy of them all a silenced revolver. Newest terms is two party system and balanced budget.

In my near 70 (YIKES) years high power was anyting larger than .22LR by customary use. But others chose larger than .22Long or the use of a center fire primer.

Explosives is easy. TNT has a value of 1.0 anything less such as dynamite is a low order or low power explosive anything above that number is high explosive.

Don't look to the military too much for help. There it's anything the General says is the meaning such as insure when they mean ensure. Berm hower depends on whom. To a non-engineer it's pile of dirt. To a ditch digger it's the bank resulting when digging said ditch or canal. to an engineer it's the space at former surface level between the excavation and the excavated material that keeps the latter from sliding back into the former. Engineers also differentiate between rocks and dirt.

When is a rifle or pistol high powered enough? When it does the job. Same as any tool.

The rest is just Hollywood BS.

Fingers (Formerly Sergeant Fingers)

I suppose now I should go post the answer to the M16 controversy.

Salutations
Old July 20, 2014, 08:52 PM   #53
Bart B.

44amp, the NRA has specific rules for rifles (caliber, weight, magazines, sights, etc.) used in High Power competition disciplines that are different than Service Rifle ones. You cannot use a bolt action rifle with a scope in Service Rifle matches. But you can use a military service rifle in almost all High Power matches. People running NRA sanctioned matches have to follow NRA's rules.

Last edited by Bart B.; July 20, 2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old July 20, 2014, 11:41 PM   #54
HiBC

I'll toss a pickle in the pie:
When I hear a media moron trying to describe a centerfire rifle,they often call it "high caliber' rather than high power.
They apply it equally to a 5.56.
Its kind of like the common media term "high capacity magazine clips"

Yawn. Drama.

I think we should probably accept that among the media and the crowd they appeal to,it is fashionable and politically correct to use these inaccurate terms.
In other words,if you use the language of the gun culture,you are suspect.

To speak with ignorance implies"I'm not one of those gun people" so I'm hip.
Old July 23, 2014, 04:55 PM   #55
Unlicensed Dremel

Wasn't the gun Gerald Bull built for Saddam Hussein bigger than the Paris gun? At least longer if not bigger caliber? But I don't think it was ever used, other than test firings. After it failed to work, he tried to figure out how to launch satellites into low-earth orbit with these giant guns. Didn't work either - equipment was too sensitive to handle the massive acceleration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Babylon (512 foot long barrel - that's 6,144 inches, or the length of 280 standard 22" rifle barrels, and it's almost 5 times the length of the Paris gun).

Although .... had the Israelis not assassinated Bull, who knows what he might have done.

Oh, and don't forget that the Browning "Hi-Power" is chambered in the behemoth known as 9mm luger... confused yet? Clearly, there isn't any right, wrong, or standard definition. "Magnum" is similar.... just arbitrary really.

Last edited by Unlicensed Dremel; July 23, 2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old July 24, 2014, 11:40 AM   #56
44 AMP
Staff

Yes, its all rather arbitrary, but certain standards have become the accepted norm, being generally accurate when used by shooters and wildly inaccurate when used in the press and video media.

The Browning Hi-Power is a "hi-power" not because of its cartridge, but because of its capacity. In an era when auto pistols held 7 or 8 in the magazine, 13 was hi-power. High firepower.

"Magnum" is also arbitrary, and really only means the case is "bigger than standard" for the caliber. How much bigger, and what the standard is varies a lot, depending on the caliber being looked at, and the time era of comparison.