The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 7, 2000, 08:45 PM   #1
David Blinder

Any thoughts on a good IWB for my MK9? I generally prefer leather over Kydex but am open to ideas. It will generally by used around Atlanta which gets pretty balmy in the summer and clothing can be minimal.
Old May 8, 2000, 01:53 AM   #2
John Grey

I have an IWB rig from AKJ Concealco for my Smith Shorty-Forty. The belt loop is actually placed behind the trigger gaurd, which helps minimize the holster's bulk. Although it took about six weeks to get the holster, I am extremely pleased with it.
I also have a ARG from Mitch Rosen for my Smith 4586. Expensive! Not particularly comfortable either. It shifts around too much. Stay away from 999 Holsters and Gear. I ordered a Kydex IWB for my G23 and a paddle for my G21, after being suckered in by the low price...The paddle conceals about as well as a cement block and the IWB makes my G23 look like a 6" long hunk of 4X4 post. They're not particularly secure either.
Other good bets: I have a Tauris IWB (with rough-side out)for my Sig P229 and a Galco Royal Guard for my P220.
For the money and the craftsmanship, I'd have to say the AKJ and the Tauris are my favorites.

Old May 8, 2000, 10:30 AM   #3
Bullwinkle

For 20-30 bucks a belly band is a good cheep accessory for a gun like the MK9. Its not much for range use but for carry it works well as a strong side IWB (tuckable if you like), appendix cross draw, higher on the waist, or up like a shirt holster.
Old May 8, 2000, 03:57 PM   #4
Jeff OTMG

IMHO the best IWB on the market is the YCS made for IWB only by M/D Enterprises.
www.customholsters.com
Old May 8, 2000, 04:21 PM   #5
ClubLab

I had Kramer make one for me, took them two tries but they got it right.

The problem: there is not a lot of the gun's barrel below the belt level, when you can still get a good firing grip. Make sure whatever you consider has a good 3" of material below the end of the barrel or it will flip on you given it's size/weight.

[This message has been edited by ClubLab (edited May 08, 2000).]
Old May 8, 2000, 10:17 PM   #6
Dr. J

The Pager Pal works very well with the MK9 here on the gulf coast of Texas, where it's much too hot and humid for a jacket most of the year.
Old May 10, 2000, 06:45 AM   #7
Edd Harbin

Try Springbokinc.com , they make great kydex, they answer all questions, thay accept almost any way to pay , and they shipped my holster in 2 days.
Old May 10, 2000, 01:23 PM   #8
M1911

I have an IWB for my K40 and another for my Mk9 from Rusty Sherrick http://www.c-rusty.com Great work, reasonable price, quick turn around. Jared.
Old May 12, 2000, 10:18 AM   #9
Mikul

I had a clip-on IWB leather holster, but found it bulky, hot, and really annoying when I had to drop my pants in the bathroom (if you're not careful, you can drop the gun too). I don't even want to think about that in a public bathroom.

After reading some recommendations on here (thanks to the search feature), I ordered the Defender holster/belly-band from http://www.action-direct.com

It's very comfortable, and versatile. It would be perfect if there was some way to keep the rough grip surface of my gun from rubbing my skin when I walk, but I'm very happy with it, and it kept me from buying a smaller gun to carry in the summer.
Old May 12, 2000, 01:48 PM   #10
faiello5

I have a tuckable Springbok coming for my MK9. I dealt with Stephen. If the holster is 1/2 as good as Stephen was responsive, it will be one heckuva holster. Stephen responded to my email questions immediately (I first contacted him yesterday), made my holster yesterday and is shipping it today. All of this without even receiving my check! Will post a report when it comes.

Frank