The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 21, 2016, 03:20 PM   #26
bn12gg

I happen to own a Capitan -- like it. Just fits well.

David
Old June 21, 2016, 03:57 PM   #27
WVsig

For me no other 9mm fits my hand as well as the BHP. My latest one is an MKIII that I sent Jim Garthwaite for full house custom work. It should be back to me mid next week.

SIGHTS
Heinie Original 300/Slant Pro fixed sights
Machine Heinie Slant Pro sight for one hand clearing
Garthwaite 10 Karat-.080 Gold Bead insert

FRAME MODIFICATIONS

Texture (stipple) front strap
Texture (stipple) back strap
Bevel magazine well (standard)
Machine boarder around factory front strap serial numbers

THUMB SAFETIES

Garthwaite custom thumb safety

TRIGGER JOBS

Complete trigger job using Garthwaite Tool Steel Commander undercut hammer, hard sear, and Garthwaite straight trigger (includes frame and slide fitting)

BARRELS/BARREL WORK

Throat factory barrel, polish feed ramp and profile extractor
Lathe turn barrel flush with slide face, recessed 60 degree recrown
Craig Spegel Presentation Grip Panels
Wolff recoil/firing pin springs
Checker slide rear 40 LPI
Flatten and Serrate slide top 40 LPI

FINISHES

Matte blue rounds with polished flats.

Radius/deburr/soften all sharp edges prior to finish
Old June 21, 2016, 04:17 PM   #28
RickB

Also, from the perspective of competition, or anyone who values speedy reloads, it's surprisingly difficult to reload the HP.
There's something about the sharp corners of the magwell opening, and the angle of the taper at the top of the mag tube, but a surprisingly small misalignment will prevent the mag from going in.
Generally, hi-cap mags are thought to self-center and guide themselves in, but the HP is not that way.
I've always indexed single-stack mags by putting the flat rear of the mag tube against the flat rear of the magwell, and that works well with the HP, as it minimizes rotating the magazine out of "square" with the opening.
Old June 21, 2016, 04:49 PM   #29
Sevens

Anothing thing to love and marvel at with the Hi-Power is it's distinguished, long and wide/varied service record across the globe. So many built and used for so many different nations.

I also thought the "safety clicked in to hold for field strip" was a fantastic idea that should have been replicated in other pistol designs.
Old June 21, 2016, 06:08 PM   #30
rock185

I share the passion. I've owned a succession and variety of FN/Browning Hi Powers since the '60s. I'm kinda embarrassed to admit that I'm down to only three now, GP, T-Series and an '89 MKIII....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 left.JPG (114.4 KB, 39 views)
Old June 21, 2016, 06:18 PM   #31
RickB

Quote:
Anothing thing to love and marvel at with the Hi-Power is it's distinguished, long and wide/varied service record across the globe. So many built and used for so many different nations.

I also thought the "safety clicked in to hold for field strip" was a fantastic idea that should have been replicated in other pistol designs.
I think (Browning's) Colt Vest Pocket .25 uses the safety to lock the slide for disassembly? So does the Beretta 34/35? I have both, so you'd think I could state it authoritatively, but haven't stripped either in a while.
Old June 21, 2016, 06:20 PM   #32
tipoc

This is true and well put...
Quote:
Also the mag disconnect that nothing to do with European police departments. A mag disconnect was part of requirements for the French Military pistol trials of 1922 which FN submitted a JMB prototype for. This was known as the Grand Rendement. The French never adopted the pistol but the Belgians put the Saive designed Grande Puissance into service as the P35.
It was also a requirement for a good many armies and so it was retained except for special orders that did not want it.

On a few objections, some of which come under the category of "I don't like those shoes because the laces are the wrong color" or "I won't buy this house because the walls are the wrong shade of white".

Hammer Bite is a problem for some shooters. It has never been an issue for most though. It is also easily and inexpensively (a few minutes and a file) corrected. Or a commander style hammer is available for the gun as well.

The magazine disconnect can be removed.

The trigger can be improved on and is not overly expensive to do so. Stephen Camp's website has some discussion of that and ideas for it.

The design of the trigger is "ridiculous" someone said. This was the first double stack pistol to be made and distributed internationally. Neither Browning or Saive could make a straight copy of the 1911 due to the magazine design, patents on the 1911, and military requirements. Despite it's being mechanically a bit more complicated that some more recent designs it's held up very well in hard service globally. It can be made smother and assist in accurate shooting. Not as good as a 1911? Well what else is? It can be better than many others out there or at least as good.

Sharp edges on the mag well. This is easily addressed with a set of Swiss files.

Someone here said that they shouldn't have to make such corrections on their own on a gun. If one needs to make changes and does not want to, then another gun is in order. Like most older designs it was intended that shooters who wanted to make changes did that on their own. Most folks did. When you bought a piece it was expected. That attitude had mostly changed recently, for good and bad.

It's completely normal and acceptable that some folks really like some guns and others don't. If a gun fits you, your hand and your eye then get it and learn. If not it's OK to move on.

tipoc
Old June 21, 2016, 07:24 PM   #33
jaughtman

Love em'!

I knew WVSig would be on here, making us all envious. The closest thing ergonomics-wise to just pointing your finger and saying "bang" like as a kid. I have two - one is my main (non-deep-concealed) carry, will post pics once I get home.

J
Old June 21, 2016, 08:09 PM   #34
rodfac

Very, VERY, Very, nice WVsig. I'd gladly accept any or all of them...no kidding.

Many years ago, 1970 to be exact, I carried a much used Hi-Power for 7 months while flying as a FAC in lll Corps, Rep. of Vietnam. I loved it then and still do....would gladly pay nearly any price to have it back...relied on it many a cold drizzly night laying in a mud bottomed slit trench, listening to the beer cans rattle in the concertina, and hoping to God that the claymores hadn't been turned around toward us again.

It worked every time, carried a half a box of ammo in two magazines! It was strapped to my chest or waist so I"d have it if I used the nylon elevator. What a pistol....no handgun has ever fit me better.

I got it from my predessor, another FAC who believed the BS that some REMF would sieze it out of our hold baggage on the way home...and we'd be Article 15'd for trying to bring it back. The same BS was going on when I DEROS'd a year later and I passed it along to one of the Special Forces guys that I lived with. Never saw it again...alas.

Best Regards, and thanks for the memories, Rod BTW: my #1 son gave me a beautiful .40 S&W Hi-Power for Christmas several years ago. And it's a great shooter...but it's not THE HI-POWER of my youth.
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old June 21, 2016, 08:32 PM   #35
jaughtman

Here's One....

[IMG][/IMG]

My main open or under a jacket CC - MKIII. Pretty much stock except for the Speigle grips. I have a much more customized one I will try to get on here if I can snap a quick pic......

J
Old June 22, 2016, 12:31 AM   #36
BushRat

It is an awesome gun, but...

I do have a secret love for the Browning HP. Yet there is one little "problem" for me. I hate magazine disconnects. But I see that as the only BHP failing.
Old June 22, 2016, 03:53 AM   #37
1969Colt1911

The BHP is a fantastic gun, one of his last I think. I read no posts, but some of the beautiful pics. Nice guns and pics. I went out shooting with a work pal many years ago, I had one of my 1911s of course.

And he was having some failure issues, I said let me look. The gun at this point was a natural to me. Knowing JMBs 1911 I figured the issue, I really don't remember what it was. But also I remember it ran perfectly afterward I made easy fix. I just want to have same experience with a 1905 .45 or a 1903 .38ACP.

Would be cool to help with an older then 1911 design by the great. And yes my dad has a High Power also. Its like new, but been fired. I make offers now and then.
Old June 22, 2016, 06:37 AM   #38
Sparks1957

Some great posts and photos, guys! Thanks for sharing them.
Old June 22, 2016, 07:05 AM   #39
Ibmikey

I have only five Hi Power pistols: FN pre war tangent, Inglis, post war "E" series, Mk II, MkIII. Although I love my 1911's there is little so satisfying than to send rounds into tin cans, dirt clods etc. with your favorite Hi Power. Thank you Mr. Browning and Mr. Save for your expertise.
Old June 22, 2016, 07:41 AM   #40
Seven High

Deleted

Last edited by Seven High; June 24, 2016 at 08:54 PM.
Old June 22, 2016, 02:36 PM   #41
SIGSHR

My first handgun which I have since 1967. Will get an adjustable sight slide "someday". Meanwhile I have been shooting it with my Ciener conversion unit.
I have found mine accurate with lead bullets.
Old June 22, 2016, 02:53 PM   #42
Sparks1957

Speaking of the Ciener .22 conversion kit, what do you all think of it?

Is it worth my time checking into it? It sure would be nice to have an option for shooting .22 with the BHP platform.

Do any other conversions exist?
Old June 22, 2016, 03:07 PM   #43
SIGSHR

There is an Argentine (?) conversion unit, on another board someone mentioned it has its own slide stop, he was looking for a replacement.
I wholeheartedly recommend the Ciener. I approached handgun shooting backwards, centerfire first, then 22. It is well made, finished and fitted, it is quite literally a drop in unit. Only flaw is the slide does not lock back on the last round. I recommend the CZ with their Kadet as a factory unit for a new shooter, learn to shoot with the Kadet, the transition to centerfire is smooth.
If I could find a Peters-Stahl unit for the S&W M-639 I have I would buy it ASAP. I also have one for my Colt Mark IV and will get one for my Combat Commander.
Old June 22, 2016, 03:23 PM   #44
Sparks1957

Thanks. I have a Kadet conversion for my CZ 75 and P-01, and I love it. I also have a conversion for my Sig 220, which functions well but I prefer the CZ unit.

Thinking it would be nice to have one for the BHP too.
Old June 23, 2016, 05:04 PM   #45
Rembrandt

BHP is my favorite for a full sized carry gun. Ciener conversion is flawless, also have a Peter Stahls BHP conversion. May have to get a Capitan some day.

Old June 23, 2016, 05:37 PM   #46
highpower3006

Jeeze compared to all these purdy Hi Powers, mine looks like it was rode hard and put away wet. It has certainly been carried a lot and shot a bunch over the last 47 years.

Old June 23, 2016, 05:55 PM   #47
mete

IIRC it was Browning who thought that a double columb magazine was not possible .Saive showed that it was !

Mine had S&W J frame adjustable sights. Fruit wood grips, checkered front and back straps. Mag safety removed , all trigger parts polished . Matt finish.

If you don't care to remove the mag safety .You could polish all the trigger parts AND the front of each magazine where the mag safety rubs. That will help !

Fine gun for sure . I eventually traded it for a HKP7
Old June 23, 2016, 06:15 PM   #48
WVsig

Quote:
IIRC it was Browning who thought that a double columb magazine was not possible .Saive showed that it was !

Mine had S&W J frame adjustable sights. Fruit wood grips, checkered front and back straps. Mag safety removed , all trigger parts polished . Matt finish.

If you don't care to remove the mag safety .You could polish all the trigger parts AND the front of each magazine where the mag safety rubs. That will help !

Fine gun for sure . I eventually traded it for a HKP7
It is not that JMB did not think it was possible he considered it unnecessary.

These days the OEM phosphate mags are so slick that the polishing does not change the feel of the mag safety as much as it did in the past. IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpower3006
Jeeze compared to all these purdy Hi Powers, mine looks like it was rode hard and put away wet. It has certainly been carried a lot and shot a bunch over the last 47 years.
Yours show honest wear and I personally love it. It is a very nice 1969 C series!
Old June 23, 2016, 06:40 PM   #49
tallball

I got one of those FEG clones almost 30 years ago. It was my first 9mm pistol. IIRC the only time I managed to make it malfunction was when I tried to feed it a $5 box of Chinese ammo. I still have it, and it is still a good shooter. Like several others have said, it sure does fit nicely in my hand!
Old June 23, 2016, 06:51 PM   #50
larryh1108

The BHP always has been and always will be a class act. The Inglis has a special place in history. I have one more, unfinished, that I want to have the deep blue polish done to. The original epoxy isn't sexy enough for me.

Before:

During:

After:

Not museum quality but it was my project, done my way. It shoots as nice as it looks. Not bad for a 70+ year old pistol. It will last another 70 years.