The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 1, 2006, 04:04 PM   #1
Warhorse

AR-15 Trigger Replacement?

My Bushmaster DCM Competition AR-15 rifle has a 5+ lb trigger pull that feels a lot harder than that for some reason. For example, my Garand has a 6 lb pull but feels much smoother. ??? The rifle is new and only has about 700 rounds through it so far. I am having a very hard time getting a smooth trigger release on this rifle only, not any of my others, and can't figure out why. (Yeah. I am aware of the possibility that the problem is me.)

All replacement triggers I have seen listed in Midway have the statement "Gunsmith installation required" or "Gunsmith installation recommended." I seem to be missing something here. What's so hard about it?

I am very mechanical minded and have been something of an amateur gunsmith for about 40 years - primarily handguns. All the interworking parts seem obvious to me even though I have only recently had any involvement with an AR-15, this one. I can see the possibility of a "creepy" trigger due to manufacturing tolerances in the AR lower plus those of the replacement trigger. That's a nuisance factor, not a big difficulty.

Can this just be the manufacturer playing the CYA game in the event springs do their thing and go "sproing" when and where they shouldn't or am I simply displaying my ignorance? What am I missing?

Any recommendations? (No! I won't go THERE!)

Warhorse
Old July 1, 2006, 04:18 PM   #2
hodaka

I have installed JP and Jewell triggers in AR's. Pretty easy. The Jewell is the best trigger of the two but their instructions are not that clear. I can't picture a trigger working much better than the Jewell. I wish I could put one an all of my rifles. Make sure you do all of the safety checks that are outlined in the instructions.
Old July 1, 2006, 04:50 PM   #3
DnPRK

The warning is for the bubba who drinks a six-pack and convinces himself he is a gunsmith. Later he blows a hole in his leg because he improperly installed the trigger in his drunken stupor.

If you are mechanically inclined and understand the relationship between the trigger nose, hammer notch and disconnector, then you should have no problem installing an aftermarket trigger and getting it to pass engagement and safety tests.
Old July 1, 2006, 05:27 PM   #4
Daniel BOON

Mckormick trigger

I saw an ad that shows mckormick triggers just dropping in; but have no practicle experience with them.
Old July 1, 2006, 07:39 PM   #5
Warhorse

Thanks

Thanks for the responses and vote of confidence. I couldn't figure out what the big deal was for trigger installation.

For anyone planning to install a Jewell trigger into an AR-15 for the first time, go to this site for a pretty good set of instructions. These include the factory directions (pretty murky) and a supplemental set of instructions that are pretty clear.
http://www.highpowerrifle.com/Jewell.htm

It's a little dated, 2001, but that should make no difference at all in this case.

BTW, I posted on this site rather than AR-15.com because I anticipated intelligent responses without a lot of blather. It seems that I was justified.

Warhorse
Old July 1, 2006, 09:02 PM   #6
Lycanthrope

I'm very pleased with my Jewell. So much, I also use one in 3 gun.
Old July 2, 2006, 08:46 AM   #7
Toolman

I haven't tried the Jewell yet. I put a Rock River National Match trigger in my Bushy. One of the easiest changes I've ever made. Works great too!
Old July 2, 2006, 02:40 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

Some trigger changes on some guns require machining, so I think the warning is put on all triggers automatically, even when it isn't true. Just because of the liability issues DnPRK mentioned.

My Bushmaster was built by Compass Lake Engineering. Frank White's trigger design is very effective, putting most of the drop weight in the first stage take-up so that what remains to let off the shot is very little. The guys weighing triggers at Camp Perry are always sure, after snapping it, that it is going to fail to pick up the weights, but it never does. One guy doing the weighing looked up at me afterward and said, "that's a Frank White trigger, isn't it?" I nodded. He went on to say that only Frank could make them feel that light and still pick up the weights. I figure he's seen every kind made.

I recommend it. The instructions even say that any mechanically competent shooter can do it. They have various options from $90 to $120. Call and ask them what you need. They like building on Bushmaster receivers, so they will know exactly what you need? (850) 579-1208.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 2, 2006, 07:55 PM   #9
moose fat

If you shoot DCM matches this won't apply.

Put in a JP trigger in my standard "bushy" A3. The trigger is single stage. Very good directions and a DVD showing all the steps.

Have you called Bushmaster?
Old July 2, 2006, 08:01 PM   #10
Toolman

Thanks for the link Nick. I'm gonna check into that trigger. I like the RRNM trigger just fine, but I'm alway open for improvement.