The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 5, 2016, 10:32 AM   #1
4V50 Gary
Staff

Homemade cannon explodes

and kills its maker with shrapnel. If you're going to make a black powder cannon, use the right material and enough of it. Use a sane amount of powder. You're not fighting off a cavalry charge, advancing infantry or engaged in counter-battery fire.

http://www.9and10news.com/story/3236...newaygo-county
Old July 5, 2016, 11:29 AM   #2
Bill DeShivs

I see "cannon" made of pipe on Ebay all the time.
I see cannon with welded breeches.
This type of crap may work for quite some time before it explodes-but eventually, it will let go.
Sometimes it happens soon.
If you want a cannon to shoot-big or small, get one that is properly made, and load it correctly.
Old July 5, 2016, 02:37 PM   #3
SIGSHR

Just a giant zip gun. He never heard of the Parrott gun obviously. Or the Bulgarian Cherry Gun. The USS Princeton disaster in 1844.
Old July 5, 2016, 02:53 PM   #4
TXAZ

While the loss of life is tragic, it's another warning to those who fail to research reality, often with Darwin Award wannabe written across their forehead.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old July 6, 2016, 06:22 PM   #5
Captchee

Eventual they all will go . that’s why the military took and still takes them out of service .
Welded breech and cast barrels were common in original form . Today a lot of folks even line the barrels and make sleeved breech s that are welded . But to do it right its not just one weld , its more like creating a weld that uses a whole spool of wire .
Some how I get the idea though that this was a homemade job probably using what ever he had laying around .
type of powder and charge is also a good thing to know about .
Old July 6, 2016, 07:05 PM   #6
Model12Win

It's really sad when innocent bystanders get killed by these accidents. I've heard of several children and women who've died from these guys living out their crazed fantasies or whatever.
Old July 6, 2016, 10:41 PM   #7
flyer898

A long time ago in a galaxy far a way, my best shooting buddy and I decided we could burn more powder and have more fun if we built ourselves a couple of cannons. Now this was in the early 1980s and Dangerous Dave, the Old Western Scrounger (Dave Cumberland) still had two muzzle sections from 3 inch .50 caliber naval guns salvaged from decommissioned Liberty Ships in stock. We bought the last two (6' long muzzle sections, rifled with a chrome bore 24 grooves, one turn in 96 inch twist). We proceeded to machine a breach and put trunnions one the first one. After some heavy math (I was extracting cube roots on a pocket calculator - not one with root functions) we came up with a projectile weight and a likely maximum charge of smokeless powder. We worked up to that and when we first fired it, we both took cover in a ditch while it went off.

Eventually we were sending 8 lb. lead projectiles down range at an estimated 1600+ fps. A solid hit would pick a '58 Plymouth up a food and set it back three. We did not shoot at close range. But by using the barrel as a peep sight, with the breech plug out, and estimating the hold-over from experience, I could hit a 2' diameter target with the first shot at 300 yards. It was some fun!

The biggest difficulty was building a carriage that would withstand the recoil - we broke everything we ever made to pieces, except the gun itself.

We were careful and never blew up the gun, and I am here to tell the tale. I have a spent projectile in my office that went through a 6' fir stump and slid 300 yards up a dirt road. Like I said it was some fun. The first time we took this monster to a cannon match, and ran after lighting the fuse for the first shot, was an event.
Old July 6, 2016, 11:25 PM   #8
Hawg

I've got a small one I built out of a 45-70 barrel. It has a breech plug out of an 1861 Springfield with the tang cut off. I don't shoot smokeless out of it tho.

Old July 7, 2016, 10:15 AM   #9
mete

All too common ! We had one here this last weekend.Man blew his hand off .A grusome injury Serious injury with his hand gone .Told to me by someone who had seen the injury.Don't have info about other details .
Old July 7, 2016, 10:59 AM   #10
NoSecondBest

One man's cannon is another man's pipe bomb. In this case, it was a pipe bomb with predictable consequences. I'd never call this an accident. An accident is when something happens that can't be predicted.