The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 3, 2006, 11:14 AM   #1
kingudaroad

Questions about Jewell on Rem 700

I put a Jewell trigger on my rem 700 VLS this morning and I have a couple of questions.

1)After removing the factory trigger I had three parts. The trigger,a shiny peice of metal that was held in with one of the pins, and a small spring. It looked to me like the Jewell did not require any of these parts, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

2)The trigger is a little lighter than I would like it.Do I need to re-adjust all three of the settings or am I ok to just adjust the trigger pull screw only.

3)The part # of the trigger(bought from Midway) ended in a "-A".There is a little envelope with 2 small springs in it marked "B,C" that came with the new trigger.What are these for?

I read about this job taking 10 minutes but I guess they didn't account for all the filing of the stock that I had to do to give room for the safety mechanism to operate. Guess I should get a Dremel tool.

Love the trigger though.This gun has never been fired. Just got it last week chambered in 6mm remington. Can't wait to see how it shoots.
Old July 3, 2006, 06:14 PM   #2
johnbt

You should be able to get the pull weight where you want it by adjusting the pull weight screw.

I have my Sako Finnfire .22 down to 1.47 ounces using the C spring according to my digital scale, but haven't tried to go any lower yet.

www.snipercountry.com/InReviews/JewellHVR.asp

"Jewell HVR adjustment ranges/spring weights
Spring "A" 8.0 oz. to 56.0 oz.
Spring "B" 2.0 oz. to 16.0 oz.
Spring "C" 1.5 oz. to 3.0 oz.
Optional weights above 56 oz."
Old July 6, 2006, 11:11 AM   #3
Ausserordeutlich

I'm really surprised that the trigger was shipped without instructions.
Old July 6, 2006, 03:43 PM   #4
kingudaroad

The instructions did not address the extra screw issue, and the adjusting instructions only gave a full blown adjustment. I just wanted to know if I could skip the sear and overtravel adjustments and just adjust the pull.

Thanks so much though for taking the time to respond.
Old July 6, 2006, 05:01 PM   #5
Ausserordeutlich

I've read on other forums about what the extra springs are for, so I am/was surprised that you didn't get better instructions. Jewell, of course, is supposed to be about as good as it gets. I'm sure that you'll be pleased when you get it set up like you want it.

I'm using el-cheapo Timney triggers...can get them safely down to just under 1# pull. Can usually get Remington 700 triggers safely to 2.5#.
Old July 8, 2006, 12:08 PM   #6
Boyd Allen

You don't need the parts from the old trigger (but your should keep them with the trigger in a zip lock baggie), and yes you can just adjust the one adjustment without redoing the other two.
Old July 8, 2006, 04:14 PM   #7
kingudaroad

Thanks a bunch guys.Came from Midway at 1# and got it up to 2.75 which is good enough for my hunting application and my kids to shoot. My first time messing with a trigger but it went smooth and is working very well.