The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 2, 2012, 11:36 AM   #26
Glenn E. Meyer

IMHO, my other valued staff moderators:

1. Revolvers are great pocket guns. I love my J frames for situations where belt carry won't be as comfortable with concealment. Shorts and a T shirt.

2. If I belt carry - then tupperware. G19 or 26. Had a Glock in 40, traded it. My 1911 - fun gun but too big for little old me for constant carry - although I did yesterday.

3. My Model 19, if in the country where there are lions, tigers and bears (well, not tigers) for backup of the long gun.

I am going to shoot a revolver next week in IDPA for grins. I shoot them reasonably accurately - but reloads are a hassle but it's a game and I just want the trigger time with them for practice. Maybe my J - 327 mag.
Old December 2, 2012, 01:14 PM   #27
mrt949

Revolvers dead ? Heck I decided to get rid of my tupperware .Because I shoot revolvers easier . No picking up brass off the ground ,no magazines to load or wondering if they will work, .You can ger revolvers in 5,6 7 or 8 round capacity .LONG LIVE REVOLVERS.
Old December 2, 2012, 01:28 PM   #28
Skadoosh

Revolvers, specifically snubbies, make great CCWs. Besides, a good snubbie is way cooler than any tupperware pocket pistol.

Except for the LCR...which is the fruit of a night of wild indiscretion.

Old December 2, 2012, 02:13 PM   #29
TeamTurpin

I'll shoot anything, but I only own revolvers.
Old December 2, 2012, 02:27 PM   #30
weblance

I go back and forth with what I carry. J Frame Airweight, LCR, or Keltec P32, LCP or LC9. Its funny, I own exactly the same number of Autoloaders as Revolvers. I like both. My LCP and P32 are not as reliable as my revolvers or LC9. The LC9 has been perfect with reliability. So have the revolvers. I only pocket carry, so it has to be light. Most of the time, its a revolver. A J Frame sized snub with 8 shots would be perfect.
Old December 2, 2012, 02:43 PM   #31
pete2

I carry a 642 or an LC9. I shoot a 625, 586, 15. 92FS and 1911 guns. Don't really care for any of the plastic guns for shooting. I really haven't made up my mind between the 642 and the LC9, the 642 may be more comfortable and it's a couple ounces lighter.
Old December 2, 2012, 02:57 PM   #32
buckhorn_cortez

In the concealed carry class I took, everyone was required to shoot both an automatic and a revolver as in NM you have to qualify with the type (semi-auto or revolver) that you are going to carry, and the largest caliber you're going to carry.

The qualification was with .45 semi-autos and .45 ACP revolvers - that way you can carry either a revolver or semi-auto and in any caliber .45 or smaller.
Old December 2, 2012, 02:58 PM   #33
JohnKSa
Staff

In TX, you won't see many revolvers in CHL classes because taking the class with a revolver limits you to carrying only revolvers while taking the class with a semi-auto allows you to carry both.

I have seen people who own only revolvers borrow a semi for the class just so that they don't end up with the limited permit.
Old December 2, 2012, 03:00 PM   #34
Joe_Pike

I usually carry a 642, but I'm about to switch. I just traded a S&W model 13 for an XDs. Show me a revolver that will hold 6 rounds of .45acp that will fit in my pocket.
Old December 2, 2012, 04:05 PM   #35
jmortimer

I can show you a .357 revolver that weighs 13 ounces. For me every ounce counts.
Old December 2, 2012, 05:04 PM   #36
Crankgrinder

I do not know what is behind the ccw law here in texas about revolvers/semi autos. Not everyone who shoots only a semi can shoot a revolver well, but i know when i started shooting revolvers DA my sooting with both got better. No one wants to adress the issue im sure because we all know what will happen is if you want to carry both then theyll make you qualify with both, perhaps pay more on top of that. Dont want to be giving people ideas, so id just qualify with a semi, then carry my revolver if i want to.
Old December 2, 2012, 05:15 PM   #37
dahermit

I prefer revolvers because I am somewhat of a traditionalist. I know that my revolvers will pass down to my son and hopefully, his son. I need not be concerned that they will need new springs after x number of rounds to remain functional and reliable. Unless a revolver spring breaks (they rarely do), they will be go to go indefinitely; not so with autos. Revolvers are heirlooms. I have only three autos at this point, Colt Commander .45 ACP, Colt .38 Super circa 70's Combat Commander, Browning HP. They are all steel however.
Old December 2, 2012, 05:20 PM   #38
Hawg

But, but, but a Glock sucks.
Old December 2, 2012, 05:29 PM   #39
Rifleman1952

Snub nosed revolvers have been doing the job since the 1920s. I mostly carry a 5 shot S&W j-frame, because it is so easy and convenient. In the most common self-defense scenarios, in my neck of the woods, the snubbie is more than enough to get the job done. Will it be effective in all potential multiple attacker scenarios...of course not, but what handgun is? I believe in the old saying that a handgun is for when you're not expecting trouble and long guns (rifles or shotguns) are for when you are expecting trouble.
Old December 2, 2012, 05:52 PM   #40
WIN71

Semi auto for ccw

And revlovers for everything else. The last 3 handguns I bought, a S&W mod 48, Colt Officers Model Target in .22, and a Colt Police Positive Target in 22 WRF. All six inch and all shooters in excellent condition for their age. The Police Positive was made in 1919.
Old December 2, 2012, 07:14 PM   #41
Stevie-Ray

Meh, I must have seen it coming long ago. Still to this day I own only one revolver, a Ruger Redhawk. Been an auto guy since the beginning. Have some tupperware, also, but many steel and alloy autos as well.
Old December 2, 2012, 07:39 PM   #42
mitchntx

My spread is considered diverse, I guess.

I have about as many revolvers as I have metal semis as I do poly semis.

I have consolidated calibers, though. No 38s, 380s, 40s or 44s any more.
Old December 2, 2012, 07:50 PM   #43
Warrior1256

Most of my handguns are semis but I have three revolvers. One of my most frequently carried handguns is a S & W 642 .38 Airweight loaded with +P. I don't think revolvers will ever become extinct.
Old December 2, 2012, 08:24 PM   #44
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Take your 3" K-frame versus my Glock 33
Bah! I shoot the K-Frame far better than I do the Glock. I can shoot a Glock reasonably well, but the gun doesn't point well for me, and I have to think when I'm shooting it.

If I've got a problem I can't fix with 6 rounds of .357...well, I've got a heck of a problem. BTW, I want mimes at my funeral.

With the right belt and holster, the weight isn't a problem for me.
Old December 2, 2012, 08:44 PM   #45
Joe_Pike

Quote:
I can show you a .357 revolver that weighs 13 ounces. For me every ounce counts.
And, shooting .357 out of a 13 oz wheelgun doesn't sound like any fun at all.
Old December 2, 2012, 08:57 PM   #46
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Bah! I shoot the K-Frame far better than I do the Glock. I can shoot a Glock reasonably well, but the gun doesn't point well for me, and I have to think when I'm shooting it.

If I've got a problem I can't fix with 6 rounds of .357...well, I've got a heck of a problem. BTW, I want mimes at my funeral.

With the right belt and holster, the weight isn't a problem for me.
You ought a be able to shoot it well. It's like holding a small car. Need a bipod to hold it up.
Old December 2, 2012, 09:03 PM   #47
G.T. Smith

revolvers for me!

I carry a .38 special. A model 37 J frame. I carry it most every day. Some days I do carry a 4" model 65 .357 occasionally and don't mind the extra weight. Gotta have a good belt and holster though. I just don't trust semi's to go bang every time. I have never owned one that didn't malfunction now and then. I do own a 1908 Colt vest pocket that was made in 1922. It will not shoot Blazer ammo very long without stove piping frequently. Shoots S&B and Remington just fine, but is only a .25 and just to nice to carry. Probably try to trade it for a revolver one day.
Have a good one,
G.T.
Old December 2, 2012, 09:14 PM   #48
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
You ought a be able to shoot it well. It's like holding a small car. Need a bipod to hold it up
Well, at least it's made of metal.
Old December 2, 2012, 09:16 PM   #49
dahermit

Another reason I like revolvers better than autos is the fit in the hand. An auto has to have a shape that is able to house the magazine, therefore the grip shape is somewhat limited. On a revolver there is much more latitude in the shape of the grips, especially in a Ruger double-action where the frame is but a small projection of steel. This restriction on autos make them very unnatural for me to grab hold of. Whereas a revolver grip especially hand-shaped, subtle finger grooved ones, seem to be able to be grabbed quicker than an auto's grips and even allow adjusting the hand faster if the grip was not perfect. None of my autos seem to be like that, regardless what grip panels I try.
Old December 2, 2012, 09:59 PM   #50
STW

The first class my wife took, just the NRA basic pistol class, everyone in it used a revolver. My wife only owned an SP101 and, since she was using a revolver, I took the class with her using a SW 686.
Once she got into more advanced classes, where the round count was 300-500 for the day, a semi just made more sense. The classes seem designed around semis so she switched to an M&P9.
Only one other time have I taken a class where someone used a revolver and then it was a SW 625 set up for competition. I, personally, don't have enough speed loaders for a revolver only class but I've toyed with the idea anyway.
For just plain fun a Blackhawk in .45 Colt is hard to beat while a semi is more about business. When I'm concerned about people I carry a semi. When critters are the bigger concern, this is grizzly country, I carry a revolver.