The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 24, 2001, 07:11 PM   #1
Rusty S

I have a pair of pre-GCA'68 Browning 380's with invisible ( to my eyes ) sights. I'm assuming it's possible to mill the slide for a rear sight and to stake a front.

I'd prefer to find an adequate set of sights off, say, a Colt Mustang, PPK, etc., that are quickly visible but still remain small, and just order them. The sights on the Scott, MacDougall & Assoc. ( Novacks ) Colt 380's I could find myself in lust for, but a ten buck rear would do.

One other thing: the safety on both disengages far too easily for me, which makes me leary of carrying cocked and locked, even with a grip safety. Anyone know how to make it a bit stronger?
Old March 25, 2001, 07:33 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Rusty, it shouldn't be a problem. Dependent on how much meat there is in the front of the slide I'd probably recommend a dovetail front rather than staking one on. Less machine time so the cost would be less. If you have someone local who can do the work talk it over with him. If not feel free to e-mail me. I'd be be happy to discuss it with you. George