The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 31, 2014, 02:48 AM   #1
Bill Akins

The Ruger 10/22 "BB" bolt/firing pin fix

Some people already know about this, some don't. So for those that don't, here it is.

The "staked" area on top of the Ruger 10/22's bolt, that is supposed to keep the firing pin from rising up, doesn't really do its job and is in my opinion, a design flaw. If you take the bolt out of your 10/22, you can move the tail of the firing pin so that the front of the firing pin rises up and down. You can actually move it to where the firing pin would not contact the rim of the cartridge case to fire it. This can cause misfires when the bolt if flying back and forth.

There are aftermarket bolts available (expensive) that fix this by having a crosspin thru the bolt and over the top of the firing pin so it cannot rise up as the bolt flies back and forth. Of course the crosspin hole was drilled before the aftermarket bolt was hardened. If you have a drill press or a mill, and if you don't mind breaking a few carbide bits and chancing getting a broken bit stuck in the hole, here's a tutorial on doing that
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=251029

An easier, quicker and cheaper fix is to file an all steel or copper coated BB equally on each side to where it is just a tad wider than the slot in the top of the bolt over the firing pin. The best way to do that is to grip the BB in your vice with the area you want to file up higher than the vice. File that. Then turn the BB over and do the same thing. Then tap it into the slot on the front of the bolt with a hammer so that the bottom of the BB rests just above the firing pin, keeping it from rising up. Then file the top of the BB flush with the top of the bolt. That's it. Below is one I just finished doing. (Red arrow in one pic points to BB).

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; March 31, 2014 at 03:39 AM.
Old March 31, 2014, 10:11 AM   #2
Pahoo

Excellent tip !!!

Great tip and will inspect my bolts at each cleaning and will use your tip as required. .....

Thanks and;
Be Safe !!!
Old March 31, 2014, 12:28 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

Thanks for sharing.

But I'd rather just cross-drill and install a roll pin, if I thought it was a problem.