The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 7, 1999, 12:45 PM   #1
Josh

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it is difficult to load for the AR10?
I was worring about it being a semi and being picky.
I have loaded for years for bolt action rifles and wanted to know if there is anything I should know or any differences that makes loading for a semi different than a bolt action.
Thanks.
Old June 9, 1999, 03:31 AM   #2
Unkel Gilbey

From my experience in reloading for my M1 Garand, and also for the M14 Match rifle that I shot with the Marines, I've learned a few things. First off, standard chambers such as the type that you'd find on factory or Military surplus weapons tend to be right near the middle of the industry standard if not a tad looser on the military side. Tighter chambers are possible, but as a rule, they are near standard. This means that the ammo that you load with Std dies should feed with out any hitches. If your AR10 has a match chamber (as my M14 did) then you might run into some chambering and locking problems. A set of Small Base sizing dies would help in this case, as the SB dies size the cases down to the absolute minimum specs, and were designed with autoloaders in mind. The only problem (as I hear it) is that the SB dies work the brass so much, that case life is reduced from normal. I haven't seen this though. The military stuff we "reloaded" was "Mexican Match" and we only reloaded the cases once. My Garand likes what ever I feed her, so I've yet to use the SB dies with her. Bolt actions, with the powerful camming action of the closing bolt, are a bit more forgiving then autoloaders are as far as reloads go. Ammo which chambers and fires in the trusty old Bolt gun might not allow the bolt to go completely home with your AR10. Does the AR10 have a Forward assist? Not that this would help much, just curious. Small Base dies are available from RCBS in a set, or just the sizer. MidwayUSA sell them both ways. Try the normal loading dies, and if there are problems, look into the SB dies. As far as loads go, I'd suggest asking Armalite, and I'd hesitate at telling you what my pet load was because I don't know anything about the strength of that action. Good luck and hold the Ten ring!
Unkel Gilbey
Old June 9, 1999, 01:16 PM   #3
ronnerad

I have a AR10A4B which I relaod for.
First off, do not contact ArmaLite as they will disavow any cartridge for the weapon that is not commercially produced. - Legal Libiality.
I have nothing to add to Mr Gilby's post except to say that all good practices for reloading for a gas-gun apply.
Next, pick up the book "The Competitive AR-15"by Glen Zediker. You may wonder, but nearly everything about loading for, and shooting an AR-15 well applies to it's bigger brother. And the general reloading insights that Glen outlines for AR-style gas-guns
in his book are INVALUABLE to the beginner.
Now, you are wondering, why doesn't somebody give me a decent load? Well, okay.
I get sub-MOA groups @ 100 yds. with this:
168gr Hornady BTHP Match, seated to 2.800" OVL 41grs AA2520, WW primer in mixed cases trimmed to 2.005 after full lenght sizing.
I use Lee dies and their "Factory Crimp" die *really* does improve accuracy.
This [Lee factory crimp die] was written about in one of last years "Shooting Times"
[? I think] magazines in an article about accurate reloads and the AR15.