The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 3, 2008, 10:35 AM   #1
TDrift

Benelli SBEII or Beretta Xtrema2

I have had my eye on SBEII and started saving funds for it.
I finally got enough funds for SBEII then I heard many good things..., actually my whole police department was talking about Xtrema2.

My use is for primary turkey hunting and I use 3-1/2 inch magnum loads.

Which one do you think the wise choice is?

Thanks
Max
Old March 3, 2008, 11:22 AM   #2
johnbt

For 3.5" shells, the heaviest one. I don't know a thing about Benellis except that that the SBEs I've handled are pretty light.

I use a 3.5" Win SX-2 and it's not only fairly heavy, it's a gas gun. Then again, I only weigh 205 so YMMV.

John
Old March 3, 2008, 06:49 PM   #3
BigJimP

The biggest difference is the Beretta is a gas operated gun / the Benelli is an inertia operated gun. With the comfort tech system - the Benelli I think will give you about the same recoil as the Beretta - maybe a little less - but they are both soft shooting. I think the Benelli will go into battery on the
2nd and 3rd shell a lot faster ( at least 25% ) than the Beretta or most gas guns. With my Benelli - I pull that 2nd shell just the same as an over under (no hesitation ) and with a gas gun, I always feel like I need to wait just a portion of a second while I hear the gun cycle.

The Benelli's will all shoot a lot cleaner than any gas gun / making them a lot easier to clean thoroughly and put back in service. Thorougly cleaning a gas gun is a 30 - 45 min proposition. Cleaning a Benelli is a 10 min operation ( taking trigger group, bolt out, etc ). For me its the Benelli. The model I like the most is the Super Sport ( but its not available in 3 1/2" chambers). I think the Beretta is a little cheaper - selling in my area for around $ 1,000 and the Benelli is closer to $ 1,500 but I think the Benelli is worth the extra money.
Old March 3, 2008, 07:07 PM   #4
waterhouse

If recoil is an issue for you, go with the Beretta. If recoil is really an issue, go with the Beretta with the KO system. It works really well.

If recoil is not a problem, its a toss up, both good guns, get whichever fits you better and that you like more.
Old March 3, 2008, 08:21 PM   #5
TDrift

I totally forgot about cleaning part.
Is recoil issue? - Oh yes, it comes to 3.5 magnum shells.
(It comes to .300 Win Mag and up or 3.5 magnum shell, yeah it hurts my shoulder.)
I have a R1 ComforTech in .308 Win. And I like my rifle.
A few hundred bucks extra is not the issue than regretting later that I should have bought this or that.
I know both are good shotguns. Since I am spending over $1000.00, I want to make a decision without any regret.

Thanks for the inputs. You guys are helping me already.