The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 14, 2009, 08:28 PM   #1
454 Super Redhawk

tight group powder

I was wandering if Tight Group powder works good for 9mm and 45 acp
Old May 14, 2009, 09:09 PM   #2
wingman

yep.
Old May 14, 2009, 09:13 PM   #3
D. Manley

Not my favorite in either but yes, works very well in both. Sorta just disappears in them big ole' .45 cases so be careful.
Old May 15, 2009, 06:01 AM   #4
Xwrench3

actually, i am thinking that the next time i buy powder, i am going to buy an 8 pound container of it, and eliminate a bunch of others i have been using. so yes, it works quite well. i load 380, 40 s&w, 45 acp, and 44 mag. i will keep a pound of h110 around for the real magnum loads though.
Old May 15, 2009, 06:52 AM   #5
Sport45

I thought about eliminating a lot of pistol powders too. But I bought 8# of Universal to use when I finish my jug of Unique.

It's hard to see a double charge of Tite Group in a large or tall case. I've gone through several pounds in .45acp and .38spcl.
Old May 15, 2009, 07:16 AM   #6
Sevens

Titegroup has a reputation of running warm compared to similar powders used in the same calibers. That's not a problem for me as I don't do a lot of rapid fire and full-speed reloads and emptying of pistols.

I think it's a good powder, has a low price and a decent charge weight that makes it a fine choice where economy is concerned. Also meters consistently, which is important. I also found, to my amazement, that it actually showed me better accuracy with a supply of suspect cast bullets that otherwise wouldn't shoot well with my normal charge of Bullseye.

IMO though, it's a bit of a red flag many times when someone gets the wild idea to buy 8 pounds of something so that he can use it in everything and eliminate other powders from his bench. We have so many powders to choose from because we have a lot of different calibers and uses for them. Trying to get one powder to do everything is going to end up giving you one powder that is "okay" for many different things but not great in all of them.

If you chase down data for Titegroup you can find some loads for some of the big calibers, .44 Magnum and up. But IMO, it doesn't make it (even close!) to the right powder for those calibers. High pressure and low performance when you try to use it outside of it's comfort zone.

All I'm saying is this: I went through the stage a few years back where I wanted to have like three powders and no more. Save money, not have a zillion different cans, etc. And eventually I came to realize that having a dozen different powders is much, MUCH more the way to go. This way, I always have lots of options any time I want to build a new caliber or simply try a new bullet/powder combo. And the cost of powder? We are talking 20 bucks for a can that lasts a long, LONG time.

I love having the options. Titegroup in an 8 pound bottle? Sure, if the deal was right. But not so I can kick Bullseye and Power Pistol and Blue Dot from my bench, that's for sure.
Old May 15, 2009, 08:39 AM   #7
wingman

I've cut back to two powders for pistol, Titegroup and AA5 both produce
accurate loads meter well for target shooting they work for me.
Old May 15, 2009, 01:07 PM   #8
Emerson

Titegroup is the ONLY powder I am currently loading in 38 Special, 357 Mag, 45 ACP, 44 Special, & 44 Mag. While it may not be the absolute best powder in each of those cartridges it works well in all of them.
Old May 15, 2009, 06:26 PM   #9
CrustyFN

I use a lot of Titegroup in 9mm and 45 auto. I am very happy with the powder but am going to try some WST because I have heard some great things about it.
Rusty
Old May 15, 2009, 06:38 PM   #10
zxcvbob

I'm trying to use up a pound of Titegroup because I don't like it, but it keeps going and going...
Old May 16, 2009, 07:34 AM   #11
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

i use titegroup in 9mm, 38spl, 357 mag, 45acp and 45 colt and have had great results.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old May 16, 2009, 08:34 AM   #12
madmo44mag

When I discovered Power Pistol all my auto loader rounds got switched.
It even works well in 38spl, 357 mag and 44 spl.
I'm working a load up for light 44mag now.
Sure cut my cost way down in powder.
Old May 17, 2009, 09:25 AM   #13
Ozzieman

I recently started using Tightgroup for 9mm with heavy bullets (147GR) in 9mm. It works,,, but the difference between minimum and maximum is very close and for that I don’t like it.
I normally use Win 231 for all my auto's since it’s very clean and does a good job of filling the cases but for heaver bullets in a carbine 231 is just to fast for heavy bullets.
Like I said tightgroup works,,, but I wouldn’t trade one pound of 231 for 3 pounds of tightgroup.
Old May 17, 2009, 05:38 PM   #14
putteral

You must try AA #5. Works great in .45 and 9mm
Old May 17, 2009, 09:16 PM   #15
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I works "good" in 9mm and .45ACP if you're using the right bullet weight. I personally don't like it due to felt recoil is a bit higher and I HATE the fact it doesn't fill the cases very well. I does the job for general plinking. It will work in both cartridges. It is safe to use in the proper charge levels. It meters VERY well. It is easily discernable between othe powders.

There are other powders I like for use in both: HP38, AA#5, HS6, Win231 are ones that come to mind, if you're asking.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old May 17, 2009, 09:18 PM   #16
DiscoRacing

works great in .40 and .38 spcl i know
Old May 17, 2009, 11:21 PM   #17
fatboy02

I am new to reloading but I have been using Titegroup for .45, .40 and going to start 9mm. It has produced some very accurate rounds for me.

The Titegroup does not fill cases as much as other powders so you need to pay attention for double charges. It was sugested to me by another member here to double charge a case and set it to the side so that you have a visual on what to much powder looks like. I did that for a few times but now I know what it should look like.

Titegroup meters great in my lee powder measure.

Try a 1lbs can first but I think you will like it.
Old May 22, 2009, 02:54 PM   #18
Ozzieman

Well I have used Titegroup today for the last time,,,, at least in an indoor range,,, I was asked by the owner to stop shooting. Too many complaints of the smoke.
25 rounds of 9mm,
The stuff was very accurate but reminded me of blackpowder.
I'm just glad I only picked up one pound.
Old May 22, 2009, 03:02 PM   #19
glokmunkee

Ouch! It was that bad? I only shoot outdoors and the winds here make even blackpowder disappear so I have never noticed that it smoked but I had heard that it did. BAD. But asked to stop. Wow. I am going to use it for match rounds till it runs out then use the imr 700x for a while. Any thoughts?
Old May 22, 2009, 03:12 PM   #20
Emerson

The only time I ever had any problem with smoke was when I loaded some really light loads for my .44 Special. I load it towards the warm side now and it smokes less and makes it easier to clean my gun.
Old May 22, 2009, 09:11 PM   #21
Ozzieman

Glokmunkee, I was using titegroup for a special heavy bullet in 9mm and it was the only powder I could find that I had loads for. Personally for any auto my all time favorite is Win 231 but it was just to fast for a 147 gr bullet in 9mm. I have never used imr 700x so I can’t comment.
I also loaded some 200 GR in 44 special with a VERY tight crimp, these were upper pressure loads and they were just as smoky.
Again VERY accurate.
The 9mm I was shooting out of a 9mm carbine and at 25 yards. I warmed up with REM green box and did a 3 inch group.
With the 147 and tight group I held under 2 inches.
I’m going to load some more and try them at 100 yards OUTDOORS.
Old May 23, 2009, 04:04 PM   #22
glokmunkee

+1 on the accuracy. I think i would hate that. Having someone ask me to stop shooting? *crush* Which carbine may I ask? (not ATF!! promise )