The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 20, 2008, 12:26 AM   #1
freakshow10mm

How many load shotgun?

Just curious. Saw a few shotgun loading threads recently.

I load 20ga on a MEC 600JR (pre '82).
Old April 20, 2008, 12:35 AM   #2
AF_Reloader

I load 12 ga on my MEC 8567, and 20 ga on a little Lees Load All (on the side). I go through around 300 12 ga a week at the local range, so 90% of my reloading time is spent filling those empties back up.
Old April 20, 2008, 08:23 AM   #3
steve4102

I load 20ga, 12ga and 410.
Old April 20, 2008, 08:33 AM   #4
VaFisher

I load mostly 28ga., also load 20ga and 12ga. Also make my own shot which helps lot's on the overall cost.
Old April 20, 2008, 10:27 AM   #5
Edward429451

I load 12 ga on a MEC Grabber (8567?)

Mostly slugs and a few shot. Pretty good so far!
Old April 20, 2008, 10:42 AM   #6
Sevens

Years ago I loaded hundreds and hundreds of 20 gauge on a MEC-650 using #9 shot and Win 473AA powder and Winchester AA and Remington Premier hulls. I was a regular skeet shooter, 8-10 rounds weekly. (in all those rounds of skeet, I shot a straight only once. That was a nice moment that I figured I'd repeat but I never did manage to repeat it. I think I was 16 or 17 when I did it.)

I took the MEC off the loading bench in 1990 and placed it in it's box and it hasn't seen the light of day since then. Not because it didn't work or I didn't like it, but because I didn't have the time or a place to shoot skeet anymore.

These days, there are a couple places to shoot skeet somewhat near me, but I haven't had the time to check them out. I keep telling myself that I will do exactly that one day, but I don't know when.

My shotgun is a Browning Citori Skeet. Beautiful shotgun, shoots and handles like a dream, but it was one of the first of the over/unders that Browning made in Japan. Not that it's not a terrific shotgun, but it's not Belgian and it won't ever be, so that's a bit of a bummer.
Old April 20, 2008, 10:43 AM   #7
Bboomer

Well I used to load 12 ga. Thats before things went nuts. The last bag of shot I bought was less than $20 and its still un-opened.

The last time I did reload was for some #5 hunting loads.

I guess I burned out my young son, he doesn't want to shoot much anymore as he's into paintball now days. I myself enjoy pistol and rifles.

At any rate, why reload shotshell when its cheaper to go commercial.

My machine is the Mec 600jr btw.
Old April 20, 2008, 10:43 AM   #8
Sevens

Quote:
Also make my own shot which helps lot's on the overall cost.
Having seen the process that the big manufacturers use to produce lead shot, I wonder how on earth you do it?

I would think it helps more than a lot on overall cost-- I'd think it helps TREMENDOUSLY!
Old April 20, 2008, 10:49 AM   #9
Edward429451

Quote:
why reload shotshell when its cheaper to go commercial.
As a hedge against inflation of commercial? As a hedge against the possible unavailability of commercial in the future?

If you cast your own shot or slugs, reloading them is very much cheaper than commercial even at this time.
Old April 20, 2008, 05:40 PM   #10
VaFisher

Quote:
Having seen the process that the big manufacturers use to produce lead shot, I wonder how on earth you do it?

I would think it helps more than a lot on overall cost-- I'd think it helps TREMENDOUSLY!
I make it by using the better shot maker, works great and I save lot's on the cost of shot. When shot took a big jump I decided it was in my best interest to make my own using wheel weights.
Old April 20, 2008, 06:31 PM   #11
cobra81

VAFisher,
Is that the Littleton shot maker you are using? I have been giving some serious thought to making my own shot. I have a lot of lino and wheelweights just sitting around, and I haven't been able to bring myself to pay the $50 for a 25# bag of shot. Could you please give me some info on the shotmaker you are using and the results you are getting? Thanks.

BTW, I load for 12 and 28 gauge on MEC 9000's, and use a Lee Loadall for 16 gauge.
Old April 20, 2008, 07:05 PM   #12
clayking

I load 12, 20, 28, and 410, all on Mec 9000 G's. I once shot 1,000 12's in a Thursday to Sunday sporting clays & five stand shoot. Although loading 12's aren't quite the cost saver anymore, I have over 30 bags of shot bought at less than $15 per, so I have the current cost beat. Hulls, powder, wads galore. The big cost with shotgun shooting is the cost of a skeet, five stand or sporting clays round.

I sometime wonder with all the lead shot & lead bullets in my garage if it's safe to be in there................ck
Old April 21, 2008, 06:41 AM   #13
VaFisher

Hey Cobra, the one I use is called the Better Shotmaker. The difference is the littleton is made of cast Aluminum and the Better Shotmaker is made of cast iron which holds the heat better and more even which makes it easyer to control. They are also 240 volt to mantain the heat like they should & built very well.
Took a look and found one for sale by a private buyer.
http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/...ges=46#1074303
Here is the website for The Better Shotmaker.
http://www.thebettershotmaker.com/
Old April 21, 2008, 08:45 AM   #14
freakshow10mm

Quote:
At any rate, why reload shotshell when its cheaper to go commercial.
I load 20ga for less than $4 a box. Find me quality shotshells for that price. Even WalMart target stuff is $8/box now.

Quote:
I haven't been able to bring myself to pay the $50 for a 25# bag of shot.
I get shot for $36/bag. It will run you $9 shipping per two bags plus a $5 drop ship fee that I get charged.
Old April 21, 2008, 10:15 AM   #15
briarthorn

How many load shotgun???

I load 12ga. from a Texan press and 12ga. from a Lee loadall, 10ga. is done form a Mec - I'm a "river rat" and shoot those honkers - water pheasants lol a great deal of the time which has pushed me into a Mag10 ga. Ithaca not that a 3 1/2 twelve can't hold its own there, just my choice - as for the reloading its cost and the ability to roll my own whatever the situation calls for Hevi shot, steel,
lead - store bought just can't cut the mustard for me. With the cost of shot per bag I'll be buying a shot maker in the near future, I sources for lead so its my next move to maintain my reloading cost.
Old April 21, 2008, 10:59 AM   #16
amamnn

Before all my surgeries I loaded 12 and 20 ga. for trap, clays and 5 stand use. Yes it is still cheaper to load target grade hulls. I sold all my equipment and leftover components, but still have about 1700 rounds. My son is working his way through them a couple boxes at a time. Since he works and also shoots rifles and handguns, I figure he's got about 5 year's worth of shells.
Old April 22, 2008, 11:35 AM   #17
MrApathy

setting up for shotgun loading. I have a Mec 600 Jr
need shot and wads.
A repeat of history, That's how it goes
Old April 22, 2008, 12:01 PM   #18
BigJimP

I load 12, 20, 28 and .410 all on MEC 9000 HN hydraulic machines ( electric motor drives hydraulic pump on floor of shop ) and a foot pedal on the pump/motor activates the press leaving your hands free to put hulls and wads on the press as it cycles. I've used MEC Grabbers, and 9000 GN in the past. The "N" denotes the new primer system MEC developed a few years ago - and its a much better system than the older chain pull operated tray system. Its still a tray - but it has a sliding pushed that drops a primer into the feed tube that doesn't jam nearly as often as the older system.

I use Remington hulls in 12 and 20, old style Win hulls in 28ga , and Reminton STS in .410 . I use Duster wads in all 4 gagues / Hodgdon powders ( Clays in 12ga , Hodgdon International in 20ga, Hodgdon Universal in 28 and LilGun in the .410 ). I use Remington 209 primers.

The trick on loading shotguns - is to buy in bulk so you can keep your costs down - but it is possible to load a very high quality shell compared to a new Remington STS or Remington Nitro that retails for at least $ 8 a box right now - and my cost on 12ga reloads (with premium components) is under $4.50 a box even with shot at $35 a bag bulk buy in my area now.

Reloading is a great part of the shooting sports hobby - and I think its fun. Its also a good way to get kids and grandkids involved in shooting and spending some time with them getting them to do some reloading, participating a little - and there is something about shooting your own shells - that I just like. Its not all about saving money.

Last edited by BigJimP; April 22, 2008 at 12:03 PM. Reason: added note