The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 27, 2000, 01:45 AM   #1
tuc22

I have a Leupold 3-9x40 Vari-xII and would like to try these target knobs that replace the dust caps. Are they a good product?
Old March 27, 2000, 01:27 PM   #2
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
I bought two and they work fine. They won't give your Vari-X II any clicks, would have been cool if they did. -- Kernel
Old March 28, 2000, 03:03 PM   #3
tuc22

I just checked out the Leupold web site www.leupold.com/tiret.html Leupold will install click adjustable target knobs on the Vari-XII for $81. Of course you have to ship it and wait.

[This message has been edited by tuc22 (edited March 28, 2000).]
Old March 28, 2000, 03:17 PM   #4
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Yes, but the Stony Point knobs go on-and-off. The Leupold knobs are permanent. With S.P. knobs you can switch the knobs from scope to scope, use one on the elevation, one on the windage, or both. And you can take them off when your hunting, since they stick out so far they'd easily get banged up, and getting your adjustment knobs whacked will do nothing to improve accuracy. Of course, anything that got broken Leupold would fix for free, that's the great thing about a Leupold. -- Kernel
Old March 29, 2000, 05:47 AM   #5
tuc22

Thanks Kernel,
Sounds like you know Leupolds very well. I like Leupold quality and trust they would do a good job.I am a bit concerned about the vulnerability of the knobs but then again this is for a precision or tactical .308 rifle not subject to the rigors of hunting.At this point I'm undecided,SP or factory knobs?