The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 22, 2002, 07:10 AM   #1
LAH

Bullet Casting Question

Anyone using the Magma Master Caster or Master Pot?
Old June 26, 2002, 10:38 AM   #2
Snake Jenkins
Registration in progress

I use a Lyman mag 20

Snake
Old June 26, 2002, 10:45 PM   #3
LAH

Any problem with spout freeze Mr. Snake?
Old June 27, 2002, 08:26 PM   #4
Snake Jenkins
Registration in progress

Yeah if I slow down my casting time the spout will "freeze" and the best way I have found to free it is to heat it with a torch (very low flame and not to long ) just long enough to get the lead flowing again. If you cast at a "good" rate of speed it won't freeze.

Snake
Old June 27, 2002, 08:47 PM   #5
LAH

I've heard over the years from people that Lyman had a spout freeze problem. Wonder if the new ones are still like that?
Old June 28, 2002, 12:28 AM   #6
David Wile

Hey folks,

I've had my Lyman furnace for a dozen or more years, and I have never had the bottom spout "freeze" until after I pulled the plug and let it all cool down. When casting, it is a continuous process for me, but there are times when I let the pot sit for five to ten minutes while I change moulds on handles, and I still do not get a "freeze" as you have described. Then again, I keep the temperature quite hot for my casting - hotter than what is usually recommended.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old June 28, 2002, 06:49 AM   #7
LAH

Thanks David. I used a Saeco 10 pound pot starting out. Pot freeze wasn't a problem with it either. I've had several complaints with the Lyman though. Maybe it's the casting temp. used by the operator.
Old June 28, 2002, 07:14 AM   #8
BigG

I never had a fancy pot w/ spout. Just a pot and an iron ladle. Get em to the right temp and go to town.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old June 29, 2002, 06:00 AM   #9
LAH

While the Saeco mentioned above was my first bottom pour pot, I started with an iron pot and ladle on the kitchen stove.

I have a friend in Tx. who ladle casts commerically. It can be done and like him you can produce a lot of bullets but I set up my shop to use bottom pour pots. So nothing wrong with a ladle.
Old June 30, 2002, 10:37 PM   #10
David Wile

Hey Big,

Don't hold my bottom pour electric furnace against me. I started casting bullets in the 1960s with a Lyman cast iron pot over a Coleman stove and a Lyman ladle. I made many thousands of bullets that way for maybe twenty years or so. I hate to use words like "love" on a forum such as this, but, when I finally had the money to get a Lyman electric furnace with the bottom pour, I have to admit that I fell in love with it. I do not regret all my years with the pot and ladle, but the big furnace and bottom pour spout sure do make the casting process a lot easier. I would not, however, tell anyone they should start out with an electric furnace - that is a big expense if you find you do not like bullet casting. An old fashioned pot and ladle is still the best way to make one's start in casting if money is a concern. I may prefer my electric furnace, but I could still go back to the old fashioned pot and ladle over the Coleman stove if the electricity ever goes out. I can make excellent bullets either way.

The one thing I do not understand is how folks get good results from cast bullets without the use of a sizer/lubing machine like Lyman or RCBS. I know folks lube unsized bullets in a pan filled with melted lube and then cut them out with a "cookie cutter," but that just does not seem either effective or worth the effort. I especially prefer gas checked bullets for use with rifles, and a lube/sizing machine makes it a lot easier to lube, size, and apply a gas check in a quick operation. The sizer also allows one to get a range of sizes from one type of cast bullet.

If I had to make a choice between buying a furnace or a lube/sizer, I would definately get a lube/sizer first. For me, I cannot imagine making cast bullets without one, but I know I could still cast with my old pot.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old July 1, 2002, 10:44 AM   #11
Steve Smith

I use the tall version of the Lee Pro 20. Works well for me.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old July 2, 2002, 10:51 AM   #12
Snake Jenkins
Registration in progress

I agree with David a sizer/lubricator such as the lyman 450 is a much needed piece of equipment to a cast bullet user.

Snake
Old July 3, 2002, 05:53 AM   #13
LAH

A good sizer-lubercator sure makes the job easier. My first was a Lyman 450. I still use it at times. I broke the handle and replaced it with the new type. Also the pressure screw broke a few years back. They are a tough machines.
Old July 3, 2002, 03:24 PM   #14
Poodleshooter

BigG: I use a Coleman stove, crappy Lee ladle and a cast iron skillet. "We doesn't need no fancy lead-melters!"
Old July 3, 2002, 05:11 PM   #15
LAH

Poodleshooter and BigG

No reason not to ladle cast or use your stove. I have both a Lee and Lyman ladles but don't use them much these days. I fine the bottom pour furnaces are quicker for me. I have a friends who ladle cast using both electric and gas heat supplies. They say their way is quicker for them.
Old September 2, 2005, 07:45 AM   #16
Gary H

The Answer Must be "NO"

Wow, speaking of a non-responsive thread. Here we sit a few years later. Anyone more responsive to the original question?
Old September 4, 2005, 08:05 PM   #17
LAH

Not many people use the Magma. I was just fishing. Like you say, sometimes the answer doesn't come. Anyway here's the bottom of my pot:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Master Pot.JPG (47.2 KB, 353 views)
Old September 4, 2005, 10:03 PM   #18
PDshooter

I use a old lyman 10lb bottom pour unit.....Drips, but I can crank out about 500rds in 2hrs, of H&G68 bullets.

I use it maybe 2 times a year.
Shoot Shovel Shut-up!
Old September 5, 2005, 11:57 AM   #19
LAH

PDshooter
That is a great bullet.
Old September 5, 2005, 12:30 PM   #20
Edward429451

People must not use the Magma much. At 600 bucks, no wonder I have an old cast iron pot and a ladle. (Warming up as I type).

Snagged her old grill awhile back, contaminated it, bought her a new fancy one and now have a casting station deluxe.
Old September 5, 2005, 01:46 PM   #21
LAH

675.00 Master Caster.
395.00 Master Pot
375.00 Cast Master Pot

Not cheap but one can do lots of bullets with them. I have no ideal what a new RCBS or Lyman pot is, anyone know?
Old September 5, 2005, 06:25 PM   #22
Gary H

Master Caster

Many spend $650 on a progressive press. How much more on dies..on and on. Why aren't more lead casters going for a more automated approach to casting? Perhaps it is money. For me, I'd rather spend a bit more if it mean an easier, safer and more efficient time spent casting. The question is, is this what the Master Caster is about? Does it make things faster, safer and easier?
Old September 5, 2005, 08:28 PM   #23
LAH

The Master Caster is easy on the hands, wrists, and forearms. It's not really fast. A couple of 4 cavity moulds running at once can clean it's clock. I have a 38-147-RN double cavity mould I can dump on 12 second cycles so it's not really slow either. What is it? Easy on the body and easy to repeat. The older I get, the more I like mine.
Old September 5, 2005, 08:47 PM   #24
Unclenick
Staff

LAH,

I've owned the RCBS pot with inconel liner for about 20 years. Nothing sticks to it very seriously. I also own the RCBS lubicator/sizer. It is a little beefier than the Lyman. I bought a heater for it awhile back when Midway had a clearance, so I can use LBT blue commercial lube in it. Good combination.

Gary,

If you really want more automation, look at the Magma Bullet Master Mark 7. It's only $6,600.00 and has lots of features. For example, the 115 lb pot will let you run about 10,000 150 grain bullets without a refill. I really like the idea of filling the pot only a couple times a year.

Nick
Old September 5, 2005, 10:14 PM   #25
CaptainRazor

Spout freeze

For what it's worth, I have a Lee production pot (the 10 pounder), one trick I found to slow down the spout freeze is to let it drip while casting. The Hot lead constantly dripping seems to help with this.

I found the extensions to raise the pot up 4 inches at a local shop some years back. Without them, this trick was impossible. The pot and the base are to close together.
I put an ingot mold under the spout, and cast over top of that, all the while, I don't drop the pour handle down to hard and let it drip the whole time.
I just keep moving the ingot mold, and when it gets piled up to high, I dump that lead into the sprue can.

Maybe not the best approach, but it has helped in the past.