The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 23, 2015, 05:59 PM   #26
armedleo

Visit Sig's website. They have some kind of product recall alert on the P238.
Old August 23, 2015, 07:15 PM   #27
Ibmikey

The alert mentioned was after the first few production pistols were released in 2009 and had to do with the thumb safety, corrected at that time. To my knowledge there have been no other concerns by Sig.
Old August 24, 2015, 05:34 AM   #28
redhologram

I love my p238. It's easy to shoot, manipulate, and conceal. There isn't much in the way of a lot of recoil. It's an excellent platform and definitely made to be carried in the "locked and cocked" position. I've dropped mine a few times on concrete and other hard surfaces in that position and the world didn't end.
I don't carry mine that often anymore, (mostly I carry my G19 or G26 off duty and Beretta on duty) but on days I want to pocket carry in a pair of 5.11's, I'll pull her out and in she goes in a DeSantis holster. I rarely purse carry but we attended a formal event a couple of times and she fit perfectly, in her pocket holster, down inside a small, sequined, clutch. (Gun, ID's, lipstick, you know, the essentials).
I always tell the people that hate on .380's to come stand in front of me and let me shoot them with it. I've yet to have any takers. They are great for what I call a "get off me gun".
Old August 24, 2015, 10:17 AM   #29
TailGator

My wife has a P238. I agree with the many who have said it is a soft shooter. Very nice pistol, with excellent sights, and very accurate and easy to shoot for its size. The safety clicks on and off decisively, but it is not what anyone would call difficult or stiff - just about right, IMO. The trigger is a bit heavy as SA goes, but pretty crisp. It is not the lightest of the .380s around, which of course helps with recoil management. My wife says she can tell the difference when it is in her purse, and she doesn't carry small purses. We mere males don't get it about purses, I am convinced. She also carries it IWB, and it doesn't take much to hide the little bugger.

Overall a fine little pistol, and nicely suited for the way a lot of women carry. I pretty much like everything about it except the price.
Old August 24, 2015, 11:13 AM   #30
Big4Freedom

The p238 would be perfect for her, imo. I own two, the SS and lighter desert model. Their both great but slide is like butter on SS model and a little more weight so super low recoil. The safety is very positive too. Wouldn't slip on or off with good holster. Hogue rubber grips are great on it too. It won't beat her up practicing on range with it like other .380's.
Old August 25, 2015, 12:29 AM   #31
Mosin44az

Agree with the above folks who say the P238 has mild recoil and is very accurate.

Agree also that single action is a bit of a challenge and may not be the best idea for someone not dedicated to it and not having a dedicated holster which prevents the gun from moving around.

I remember practicing at the range and drawing and pulling the trigger on my P238 at least a couple of times and wondering why it wouldn't fire. You have to LEARN to snap that safety off.

Incidentally, I don't think the safety slips off easily, it has a pretty positive detent.

My two P238s were also a bit finicky in their feeding, a bit too much for me to rely on with confidence.

I have read bad things about the CCP here. Not really a Walther.

Not sure if Ruger is still offering the LC380. It's an LC9 rechambered for the milder caliber, with the idea that it would be easier to shoot and easier to rack the slide. The heavy trigger could be an issue. If Ruger ever introduces an LC380s that would be your answer for sure. Doubt they will

Last edited by Mosin44az; August 27, 2015 at 11:31 PM.
Old August 25, 2015, 12:03 PM   #32
Bob Womack

After trying it out at the range, my wife has fallen in love with the P238. She finds it easy to rack the slide and the recoil is very soft and tame. The grip size is perfect for her and she is petite. Her hands are too small for a traditional 9mm including double stacked mags. We'll have to work her up on the Condition 1 carry, but she'll be fine.

Bob
Old August 25, 2015, 02:34 PM   #33
Bill DeShivs

The 238 is perfectly safe to carry hammer fully down on a live round (contition 2,) and thumb-cocked when ready to shoot.
If you choose this method of carry rigorous training is a must.

Now, someone will jump in and say condition 2 is dangerous- you have to lower the hammer on a live round.
Learning to properly lower the hammer is part of gun safety. If you don't know how to do it, or are scared to do it-you shouldn't be handling a single-action firearm.

Then, someone will say the gun was designed to carry cocked. It wasn't. The gun was designed to be carried whatever (safe) way you want.

Do not carry with the hammer on half-cock, as this is very unsafe.
Old August 25, 2015, 10:22 PM   #34
Ibmikey

Bill you are right on the money, so many folks go into meltdown if a properly engineered firearm is carried with a round in the chamber and hammer down. With an inertia firing pin there is no contact with the cartridge primer, also some designs have the pin blocked until the trigger is drawn all the way to the rear adding a modicum of safety. I normally carry my P238 cocked and locked but that certainly is not the only safe way.
Old August 25, 2015, 10:42 PM   #35
Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty620
She doesnt have the hand strength to pull the trigger on a DA revolver and she cant rack slides on compact guns.
Kudos to you on helping your girl to find a gun suitable for her and also for knowing enough to ask for advice.

The best advice I have for you is to have both of you check out the web site "CorneredCat.com". It is the creation of Kathy Jackson (who posts and moderates here as "Pax") and is an excellent resource for people new to shooting (male and female) and is written with the female perspective in mind. Pax has excellent advice for how people with limited hand or upper body strength can manipulate slides by using adaptive techniques.

Quote:
“I’m not strong enough to do the slide …”

If I had a nickel for every time I have heard variations on that theme, I’d be a wealthy woman today. Despite this, it is my contention that healthy adult women who really-and-truly cannot be taught to rack a slide are very, very, very rare. I’m almost tempted to say there are none at all.
Read the whole article here:
http://www.corneredcat.com/article/r...ack-the-slide/

My second-best advice is about a Sig P238 I made the mistake of showing to my friend's wife when he was talking to her about having her own gun. Totally unsuitable for this particular person for reasons I will not go into (hand strength not being one of them). I am embarrassed every time it comes up.

Lost Sheep
Old August 26, 2015, 10:59 PM   #36
Prof Young

Like mine a lot . . .

I've had a Sig p238 for a couple months now and have about 300 rounds though it. For a short barreled gun I've been very surprised at the accuracy. I get very tight groups at seven yards. If I "work" at it I can get a six shot group in about three inches. Will try to remember to take some pics next time I go.
Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old August 26, 2015, 11:20 PM   #37
Bill DeShivs

Barrel length has nothing to do with inherent accuracy.
Short sight radius makes a gun harder to shoot accurately.
If you were to Ransom Rest that gun to remove human error, you would probably find that those groups wouldn't be much bigger at 35 yards.
Old August 29, 2015, 12:56 AM   #38
DannyB1954

The heavier the gun the less perceived recoil.
Maybe a heavier 380 would work. Bersa Thunder 380 PLUS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xz7e2XwSmYor
Walther PPKS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wA0h7VH_aA

Last edited by DannyB1954; August 29, 2015 at 01:19 AM.
Old August 29, 2015, 03:56 AM   #39
HisSoldier

The P238 is safe to carry cocked and locked, the safety is the Spanish "lift and block" design. Actuating the safety lifts the hammer rearward off the sear so that even with the sear broken it cannot drop the hammer while the safety is engaged.

At the same time it is lifting the hammer off the sear it simultaneously blocks the hammer as well, the only way the hammer can drop is if the safety is pushed off.
And, further, though I'm not a fan of them in a 1911, in these little pocket pistols the firing pin block is another barrier against an accidental or negligent discharge.
If that were not enough (I don't know why it wouldn't be) they also incorporated an "Accidental hammer drop" ledge. If you have your finger pulling back the trigger so the FP is not blocked somehow, and somehow jar it so it knocks the hammer off the sear but don't actually pull the trigger all the way back, the hammer will fall to the ledge and it won't fire.
Between the original designers in Spain back in the 60's and the FP block I just cannot imagine having a ND with these guns.

But history proves that there is nothing that is fool proof.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old August 29, 2015, 07:55 AM   #40
baddarryl

How about a slightly larger gun, but smaller than a 19 like the classic Browning and Beretta 380's? Beautiful guns. Not sure is the models, maybe someone can chime it.
Old August 29, 2015, 06:40 PM   #41
GeoJelly

baddarryl - I think that slightly larger pistol would be Sig's 938 - at least if I understand you correctly. I have a 938 and really like it. It's definitely heavier, I think, then a Glock 43 but it's also smaller. I don't have a Glock 43 so I could be wrong about the weight.
Old August 29, 2015, 09:28 PM   #42
michael t

[QUOTEShow her a Keltec P32. Be prepared to buy it for her.][/QUOTE]
I agree with bill on this all the women in my house have a P-32

Their also the Bersa thunder It has a easy slide to rack and is a DA/SA pistol
They shoot mine but like the p-32 for carry
Old August 30, 2015, 06:42 PM   #43
dlc0027

Usually carried in my front pocket, about the same weight loaded as an Airweight J Frame, but much easier to shoot due to the locked breech design. Fits in my pocket w/ 6 or 7 round magazine. Haven't had any ammo issues. I carry it cocked and locked, and I'm of the opinion that if it's not going to be carried that way then get something else.

Last edited by dlc0027; August 30, 2015 at 07:06 PM.
Old August 31, 2015, 07:58 PM   #44
lefty620

thanks everyone. She does really like the P238 when she's handled it (also it had pink grips and a polished blued slide). We're going to try to rent one soon. I was able to go and look at the LC380 which does have an easy to rack slide I'll see if we can find one of those for her to shoot. The older beretta 380s are an option, but they're pretty hard to come by around here Southwest Houston. She's living at UH and I'm wanting her to get something (they just had an assault this week go figures) so when campus carry is available next august she'll be prepared and proficient with her platform.

Tags
380 , carry , sig p238