The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 1, 2013, 04:28 PM   #1
UncleEd

The Laughing Colt Gorilla

Best money I've spent recently is to get some slotted Hogue grip screws for the 1911.

I was really getting mad that Remington used Star shaped screw heads, i.e., its Carry, while Colt used the Hexagon shaped screw heads, i.e. its XSE. Why, oh why!!!!?????

This current "problem"---I own a Gunsmith 36-piece bit set, which was a godsend--reminds me of the good old days with Colt, especially the Series 70.

Back then, Colt had a laughing gorilla in its employ, who would set the screw bushings at varying tightnesses, some loose, some rock solid. Then the laughing gorilla with a hydraulic screw driver would set the stocks in with loose screws and screws that would bind in the loose bushings.

Changing stocks was a pain. Sometimes the stocks, or the bushings were destroyed, not to mention the screw slots, in trying to extricate everything into different pieces.

Yes, methods for undoing the laughing gorilla's work did evolve, but each night he could go to sleep, knowing he had screwed at least some Colt buyers.
Old November 1, 2013, 05:47 PM   #2
RickB

It's interesting that the primitive old G.I. 1911s could be completely stripped without any tools, but the new, improved, "modern" 1911 might need a half-dozen different hex keys, torx bits, etc., to take them down.
I've even seen mag catch locks that need an allen key; too much to expect that it's the same size as the one needed to adjust the trigger stop?
Old November 1, 2013, 08:14 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

The laughing gorilla (or his sons) is now working for a tire shop near you, performing the same legerdemain on your car's lug nuts.
Old November 1, 2013, 09:07 PM   #4
Sharpsdressed Man

Tis true. I had to remove grips with the bushings attached to the screws, then apply loctite to the frame threads, and rescrew the bushings back in to dry, and THEN remove the screws normally. It USUALLY worked........
Old November 2, 2013, 03:09 PM   #5
KyJim

The Laughing Colt Gorilla must have moonlighted over at Sig. I've had the bushings come loose (and crack) on my Sig 1911.
Old November 2, 2013, 04:30 PM   #6
UncleEd

KyJim, nope, not the laughing Colt gorilla. He's retired.

That's the Sinister Sig gorilla.
Old November 2, 2013, 05:44 PM   #7
Sharpsdressed Man

Sigorilla?
Old November 2, 2013, 06:14 PM   #8
DG2244

I remember that dam laughing gorilla at Colt. He screwed up the bushings on my Gold Cup back in 1988. What a pain getting the grips off!
Old November 2, 2013, 06:57 PM   #9
tony pasley

He retired from Colt and got Elected to public office in Washington D.C. (district of criminals)