The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 8, 2012, 09:15 AM   #1
OldSoul

Mossberg 835 Stock

I have a mossberg 835 and the length of pull is a little too long. Shooting 3in mag turkey loads is not a problem but when I step up to 3.5 i can really notice it. I want to shorten the stock by about and inch. If I shorten the stock rather than attaching the recoil pad back to it could I just put a slip on recoil pad or would the edges of the stock be to sharp?
Old December 8, 2012, 09:20 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

You could rasp off the sharp edges easily if you are dealing with a synthetic hollow stock...

Brent
Old December 8, 2012, 09:25 AM   #3
OldSoul

Yeah it is a hollow synthetic stock. Appreciate the input.
Old December 8, 2012, 09:34 AM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Yer welcome...

I think that would serve you... You could go all redneck, like I would do, and add a band of electrical tape over the end edge before installing the slip on too...

Brent
Old December 8, 2012, 09:59 AM   #5
OldSoul

Sounds like a good idea for me. Now I have another question. Are there any parts of the gun that should not be painted. I'd like to take the redneck a step farther. This of course is a gun of function not a safe queen. The barrel has scratches and the matte black is scratched and I want to protect it from rust. Thinking a nice camo pattern would do wonders.
Old December 8, 2012, 10:08 AM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I would fully strip it down... tape in the safety tab indent as paint cannot lead to a smooth Mossberg safety...

From the inside, tape off the trigger group opening and ejection port leaving just the mag access port and barrel hole to be filled with tissue to keep paint out of the receiver where it could also bugger up in the action etc...

Screwing your stock bolt back in gives a good place to hold it while painting as well as fills that hole too...

As for barrel, you will see the close tolerance areas on the mating surfaces that go in the gun...

Brent
Old December 8, 2012, 07:37 PM   #7
SHR970

To shorten the stock you can also get a reduced LOP Mossy 500 stock and drop it on. 500 and 835's are interchangeable there. Even if you currently have the Viking Green stock it won't matter much if you're going to paint it anyway.

Besides, shortening the plastic stock is more of a pain than doing the wood ones....BTDT.