The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old June 6, 2012, 08:03 PM   #26
Technosavant

Quote:
Women can kill you too.
Yeah, but then again, very few women are out there just killing cops at random. I think the point was that if they were looking for a MALE robber, why cuff all these random women too?

Maybe the Aurora cops had received a shipment of new cuffs and were looking to try them out, but this is looking more and more like a massive violation of the law and the civil rights of everybody at that place and time than it is a legit police move.
Old June 7, 2012, 05:04 AM   #27
deguello

Am I really the first one to think of this? What if the robber was the one that sent in the tip, so he could have an easier escape route in another direction? Anyway, if I was one of the people there and I was suing for millions, I'd be willing to settle for $1 if the city fired the people responsible.
Old June 7, 2012, 07:08 AM   #28
thallub

Judge Napolitano on the Aurora, CO cops:

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2012/06/06...d-bank-robber/

Quote:
The big picture here is that the police in this small Colorado town applied tactics that are forbidden by the U.S. Constitution, and which were perfected by the SS in Nazi Germany, in order to make their job easier. Nazi Germany had the lowest crime rate of any modern society; but it had no freedom. The cops and the SS regularly arrested groups until they found the person they wanted. We fought World War II in large measure to prevent such behavior by the government.

Here is the law. The government may stop a person temporarily–for a few minutes and in public–and ask questions of the person only when it has “articulable suspicion” about that person. The suspicion must be based on objective observations, not immutable characteristics (such as race or gender) or group characteristics (such as location or beliefs).
Old June 7, 2012, 09:40 AM   #29
geetarman

This is starting to get VERY interesting.

Geetarman
Old June 7, 2012, 12:18 PM   #30
BlueTrain

I don't know what the crime rate in Nazi Germany was, nor what it was in the US at the time. But I also know that in spite of many people being afraid of the secret police and the SS, there were also many people who supported them, happily turning in their neighbors. After all, where do you think the SS and the Gestapo were recruited? Same with your neighbors.

Life in the 1950s may have seem idylic from the distance of a half-century but you all fail to remember the perceived breakdown in both the social order and in real law and order, although it was worse in some places than in others. People generally wanted the police to act and mostly, I'd say they still do. You people may be afraid of government (in a vague way) and the police. Other people are much more afraid of other people, perhaps with some justification.

Another thing people prefer to ignore or maybe aren't even aware of is the pressure that some have to live under. A bank is robbed, someone is killed, and there is a lot of pressure on the police to do something.
Buy War Bonds.
Old June 7, 2012, 12:35 PM   #31
BGutzman

Clearly a civil rights violation that should result in criminal charges against all officers involved and the city should be sued out of existance...

I truly believe in supporting law enforcement but this is not acceptable for any reason..
Old June 7, 2012, 01:25 PM   #32
hermannr

I think this is going to cost that city a lot of money. Very clearly illegal. When they cuffed everyone, that scaled it up to arrest, and it will cost them dearly.
Old June 7, 2012, 02:24 PM   #33
icedog88

Quote:
When they cuffed everyone, that scaled it up to arrest,
Once, I was cuffed and the police report stated at that time I was not under arrest, I was being detained and placed in handcuffs for my protection!
Old June 7, 2012, 03:05 PM   #34
Conn. Trooper

You can be detained, even in handcuffs, and not be arrested.
Old June 7, 2012, 03:18 PM   #35
icedog88

Conn. Trooper;
That's my point to a degree. But, detaining EVERYONE? Without a description of the suspects? Seems a bit out of line to put it diplomatically.
Old June 7, 2012, 03:27 PM   #36
Conn. Trooper

I don't even have as big an issue with the detention if the information that the robber was at that loaction at that very minute, and that information was credible and reliable. I have an issue with the 2 hours. What could possibly take 2 hours to sort out?

I have detained people in good faith, thinking they may have been involved in an incident, only to find out through further investigation they were not involved. I can see that, I can't see the 2 hours.
Old June 7, 2012, 03:58 PM   #37
aarondhgraham

For your protection,,,

Quote:
Once, I was cuffed and the police report stated at that time I was not under arrest, I was being detained and placed in handcuffs for my protection!
I hate that "for your own protection" excuse,,,
And that's all it really is,,,
A lame excuse.

It's so the officer can feel safer or establish easy control of a situation,,,
The only one I need protection from is the man with the handcuffs.

LE in general is slowly assuming authority that is not legislated to them,,,
I truly want Aurora (I lived there in the 70's) to suffer some financial damage here,,,
And if possible I would like to see the FBI come in and levy some charges for civil rights violations under color of authority.

But their argument will be that "it worked",,,
Thereby justifying a negative means with a positive outcome.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old June 7, 2012, 04:10 PM   #38
zxcvbob

Can anyone tell if this is a real picture or if the kid was photoshopped in?

Old June 7, 2012, 04:26 PM   #39
Salmoneye

Quote:
A bank is robbed, someone is killed, and there is a lot of pressure on the police to do something.
What did I miss?

Old June 7, 2012, 04:44 PM   #40
carguychris

Quote:
Can anyone tell if this is a real picture or if the kid was photoshopped in?
I think the cops with the shotgun and the shield were photoshopped in. They are in sharper focus than everything around them.

Where did that picture come from?
Old June 7, 2012, 06:10 PM   #41
zxcvbob

I saw the picture all over the place yesterday, but today it's mostly gone. I've also seen basically the same picture zoomed in just a little closer without the kid (but not close enough to crop the kid out of the shot.) The one I linked is at lewrockwell.com
Old June 8, 2012, 10:29 AM   #42
BGutzman

The pic does seem to bare the artifacts of photoshop...
Old June 8, 2012, 10:37 AM   #43
NJgunowner

Photoshop, and it's only passable by my standards
Old June 8, 2012, 11:45 AM   #44
Fishing_Cabin

I had withheld my comments earlier because I thought they "had to have a concrete" tip to base this on. To quote the story:

Quote:
A GPS tracking device hidden with stacks of cash allowed police to track a suspected bank robber before a controversial traffic stop Saturday, according to testimony this morning.
Source: http://www.aurorasentinel.com/news/c...k-bank-robber/

Unsure of the exact details of the system, but while GPS is good at getting a rough immediate area to locate something, such as this tracking device, what this case will come down to is exactly how large of an area would be reasonable for the officers to detain and possibly search.

A rough rule to go by is if a LEO goes out with specific information in hand to find a suspect in a crime that already happened, the LEO is more solid in court. I feel this case may have a chance of going up the ladder to decide of where to draw the line.
Old June 8, 2012, 01:27 PM   #45
Aguila Blanca
Staff

It may have to go up the chain a level or two but I don't think there's any question that the actions of the police were unconstitutional. The Supreme Court has made it very clear that a "brief" detention is allowable if there are specific, clearly articulable facts to support a reasonable suspicion that the person (or persons) being detained might be the criminal actor. I think "We got a GPS signal that he's somewhere in the area" is pushing the envelope of "reasonable suspicion based on clearly articulable facts" on its own, but when you factor in that everyone was detained for two HOURS I think it clearly crosses the line into unconstitutional detention.
Old June 8, 2012, 01:27 PM   #46
Don H

Good thing this robbery didn't take place at, say, the Town Center Mall in Aurora or the police would have happily inconvenienced a few thousand people with their "innovative" tactics.
Old June 8, 2012, 03:03 PM   #47
Salmoneye

Don't suppose they could have let the guy just drive a mile down the road till they were sure it was THAT vehicle, huh?

*facepalm*
Old June 8, 2012, 03:22 PM   #48
BlueTrain

Well, the Hardy Boys, who only used guns in two stories, would have tracked them down by their tire tracks in the dust.
Buy War Bonds.
Old June 8, 2012, 09:30 PM   #49
MLeake

Salmoneye makes a very good point.

If they were tracking a GPS locator, one would think they'd track it to an area with fewer cars, fewer bystanders, fewer potential hostages and bullet sponges...

So I'd say this was not only constitutionally unsound, but tactically unsound.
Old June 8, 2012, 10:28 PM   #50
Fishing_Cabin

Frankly I can understand the LE side of darned if you do, and darned if you dont. Looking at this from the outside it is a no win situation no matter what is done really. If they try to take them at the intersection we have what we have. If they tried to take them down the road, who knows what could have happened. We can go on with "what if's" for a long time...

I unfortunatly dont know of an easy answer that is always right. I am going to be watching how this case proceeds in the court system.

Last edited by Fishing_Cabin; June 8, 2012 at 10:59 PM.
Closed Thread