The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 23, 2011, 06:07 AM   #1
rickyrick

stalking/ground hunting with more than one long gun

Some of you do it, how do you do safely? I routinely carry a pistol as a second gun and I feel comfortable with that. What are some suggested techniques to safely carry a second long gun? Would you leave the chamber empty until you stopped somewhere or are you confident enough with the safety? when I carry just one rifle I am in control of the muzzle the trigger ect...I know the rich guys have a gun caddy guy LOL.

Hope this question ain't too dumb LOL
Old November 23, 2011, 06:57 AM   #2
cws515

I've given this a passing thought when hunting as well. But in the end I always conclude that carrying two long guns while stalking/hunting would be too much of a pain. I do however carry a pistol along with my muzzleloader when deer hunting as a quick follow-up shot if necessary, which seems I seldom need. I could see having a couple of long guns in a blind or if on a stand when you are in a mixed shooting situation. To carry two, one gun would need to be slung across the back or over the shoulder to keep it out of the way of the one you're carrying. However, when stalking through brush I almost always have to take the gun off my shoulder due to it catching on low branches. Dealing with brush and branches while carrying two guns? Maybe this is why Savage (and some others) came out with their combo rifle/shotguns. The .22/410 version makes an excellent small game gun.
Old November 23, 2011, 08:17 AM   #3
shortwave

Illegal in the State of Ohio to do so.
Old November 23, 2011, 08:36 AM   #4
Daryl

I've tried it on predator calling stands, since a shotgun and a rifle might seem appropriate, and the distances walked to a stand tend to be short.

I can't imagine trying to stalk this way. The second firearm will invariably get in the way, bump against the other one, and left me wishing that I'd left the 2nd gun in the truck. I carry a handgun always, but long ago settled on one long gun when hunting.

Some things just aren't6 worth the hassle.

Daryl
Old November 23, 2011, 08:45 AM   #5
L_Killkenny

I've learned a few things in the field over the last couple decades and about top of the list is............ Carrying 2 guns is a just about waste of time and energy. I don't care if it's 2 long, 2 short or 1 of each. Only reasons I have ever found for carrying 2 guns is:

1) Carrying a centerfire handgun for protection from critters that might eat me if my primary is a .22lr (not applicable here in Iowa)
2) Carrying a .22lr handgun to finish game with teeth when my primary is a centerfire or a shotgun.

Basically, make a decision and go with it. Ya, no gun will cover every circumstance, oh well. Better than the alternative.

LK
Old November 23, 2011, 10:42 AM   #6
Hog Buster

Be sure to tune in next week to “ The Big 2: Semi-Dangerous Game?”......... When Mobutu asks, “Bwana Rickyrick, the .17 HMR or the .458 Winchester, or both?.....

Last edited by Hog Buster; November 23, 2011 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old November 23, 2011, 11:17 AM   #7
rickyrick

Lol that's funny,

Any how I heard of coyote hunters doing it so I thought I'd ask cause it did seem like a hassle just thinking about it.
Old November 23, 2011, 11:28 AM   #8
Hog Buster

While it might work for some varmint hunters, it sure wouldn’t work for me, unless Mobutu was available. I just can’t conceive any reason for lugging two long guns around in the woods.
Old November 23, 2011, 11:52 AM   #9
FrankenMauser

I did it on last year's Antelope hunt.
I was headed for some sketchy terrain, where the only shot you get is the one you see when you come out of a ravine.
Since I wanted to use my 1895 Krag, I was carrying it. But... I wanted something in case the only option was a longer shot. So, I had my scoped .270 Win slung across my back, as well.

It didn't really cause any trouble on that hunt, but I was in the middle of the Wyoming plains. The tallest vegetation I had to deal with was about 14" tall.

Even so; I won't do it again. It's just a giant pain in the butt to haul two long guns, two (or more) types of ammunition, and move around with all of it.

I generally just try to take the best 'compromise' rifle I have available. On rare occasion, I might actually pack my .44 Mag around.

Last edited by FrankenMauser; November 23, 2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old November 23, 2011, 12:38 PM   #10
doofus47

I have a caddy who carries my extra rifles.

"Hmm, Doofus, that looks like a 300 yard quartering shot with a 10 mph cross wind from the left. I'd say the 30-06 with the 9x Leupold is the right call for this one."

:-)
Old November 23, 2011, 01:30 PM   #11
Daryl

quote]Any how I heard of coyote hunters doing it so I thought I'd ask cause it did seem like a hassle just thinking about it.
[/quote]

Well, now you've heard from a dedicated predator caller who thinks it's a giant pain in the backside. As I said, I tried it. Many yeares ago, in my rookie years as a newbie coyote caller, I thought the shotgun might give me a better chance at close-in coyotes. In the end, I learned to shoot fast in-close with a 'scope sighted rifle, and called it good.

I always carry a handgun...always. To the grocery store, and while I'm hunting. Why?

Well....lets say sometimes it might pay to have an ace up your sleeve.

Old November 23, 2011, 06:35 PM   #12
rickyrick

Thanks, my attempts at coyote hunting Yields a couple a year, more or less, and I still have a lot to learn. I finally got the right call, Camoflage, and scent control I think, and I am looking forward to getting even better. But by the time I get into calling, my attention gets taken over by dealing with pigs.
Old November 23, 2011, 07:34 PM   #13
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I know guys who carry two muzzleloaders. I don't see any safety issue. Carry one, sling the other on your shoulder. Pretty simple.