The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 28, 2009, 03:11 PM   #1
ks_wayward_son

A3 rear sight

Oops. I think I may have messed up the 1/16" allen screw for the rear sight on my AR...probably stripped it. You know that tiny screw where you are supposed to be able to loosen the elevation drum from the elevation wheel, and is visible through the "witness hole". Here is a picture showing the procedure and where its located.

http://grburnett.us/guns/ImprovedBattlesightZero.pdf

Anybody know where I can get this part and what its called? I bet it has a technical name for it, not just "1/16 in. allen screw". Also, is there a specific tool I may be able to use that has more "bite" to loosen the screw? Its like I messaged this other fellow: I sometimes seem to flub up the most uncomplicated tasks, it seems like. If it weren't for guys like me, there probably wouldn't be a need for gunsmiths.
Old December 30, 2009, 04:54 PM   #2
ks_wayward_son

FWIW...if anybody else needs that part, I found out the "technical" name for it. Just type in "base index screw" while searching in Brownell's or Midway USA's websites. There will be what you are looking for.