The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 1, 2008, 07:27 AM   #1
roy reali

28 Gauge vs. Chukar

I have several shotguns to chose from when I go bird hunting. I usually take one of two, a 20 gauge or a 28 gauge. They are both self-loaders. I take the smaller one for quail and the larger one for bigger birds. While I am by no means a good wing shooter, I have become fairly good with my 28. I have been doing pretty well hitting quail with it. I do better with it on small birds then with my 20 gauge.

I now want to try my 28 gauge on chukar.

Has anyone here used a 28 gauge on chukar? What were your results? Can it handle the task?
Old November 1, 2008, 08:40 AM   #2
VaFisher

Sure it will, the 28 ga. has the same power but uses less shot so it would have a smaller shot cloud over all but just as deadly.
Old November 1, 2008, 10:09 AM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

It only takes one pellet of proper size for the game animal at hand to execute a clean kill I am also aware that it is often easier said than done thus a "LOAD" of shot rather than a .08cal. rifle I guess...
Brent
Old November 1, 2008, 10:45 AM   #4
PT111

The only problem with a 28 gauge is the same problem that I have with my 16 gauge guns. Finding shells to shoot! Both are almost impossible to find and then only in a limited load range. If you don't reload it's even worse. The 28 is fine for almost anything that the 20 will handle but since it is a smaller number of pellets you may have to be more accurate with your aiming. Try it and see if you like it. Note: This advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.
Old November 1, 2008, 11:16 AM   #5
Waterengineer

+1 everything PT said. Plus, 28 guage shells are outrageously expensive. We do a group buy once or twice a year at the club to make the price reasonable.
Old November 1, 2008, 06:30 PM   #6
VaFisher

I do reload myself and use my 28ga exclusively when game bird hunting to include birds up to phesant.
Old November 2, 2008, 07:37 AM   #7
Murdock

My bird hunting in the West has been limited, essentially using it to fill the time between putting a deer down and waiting for the plane home from Cody.

IIRC chukars are a kind of grouse that frequent western hillsides, yes? I've seen 'em but not shot any, as I usually have a rifle in my hands when I run across them. I do hunt ruffed grouse extensively, however, a very similar bird in terms of size and speed.

At home (Maine) I've been using a 28 gauge O/U exclusively on ruffed grouse for the past 5 years, with excellent results. Many of the shots I get are close, but I've had excellent performance from the gun out to 35 long paces.

I concur that the 28 will do just about anything the 20 will do, usually in a lighter package.
Old November 3, 2008, 01:38 AM   #8
Scorch

The 28 will work just fine. Besides, it's easier to carry than a heavier gun. And when you go after chukar, you will be climbing hills. Guaranteed.
Old November 3, 2008, 02:19 AM   #9
.300 Weatherby Mag

"And when you go after chukar, you will be climbing hills. Guaranteed."

Yes hills and more hills... The chukar seem to select only the best hills to climb... By best I mean, steep, rocky and downright nasty... Then you get in gun range and then they run up another hill, better than the last... Chukar make you earn it....