The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 14, 2008, 03:38 PM   #1
siv

What grain?

I recently purchased a savage .30-06. I hope to do a little bit of coyote hunting this winter with it and I was just wondering if there was a specific type of ammo that would optimize my accuracy.
Old October 14, 2008, 03:53 PM   #2
davlandrum

You are going to have to try some different ones and find what your rifle likes. I prefer ballistic tips, but your results may be different.

2 of the same model rifle may shoot different ammo better. If it was as simple as 1-size-fits-all, the world would be a lot easier.

As for grain on an -06 for coyotes, Art will probably wiegh-in. I have never used my -06 for coyotes. At least, not purposely hunting them. Targets of opportunity, however.....

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old October 14, 2008, 04:01 PM   #3
samsmix

What really makes the difference on yodel pups with the .30-06 is this: Do you intend to sell the hides? If the answer is "yes" then you really only have one choice: The 150 grain full metal jacket. I have used this load with minimal pelt damage, and I have a buddy who shoots upwards 40 'yotes per winter with it. You MUST hit them in the vitals.

If the answer is "NO" then you can use whatever accurate load tickles your fancy. I would steer you towards the 150 & 165 grain bullets, as they are the flattest shooting, but out to 300 yards they are all within a few inches of one another. If you do not mind the cost, Federal loads the 168gr Sierra Matchking, and it has a reputation for accuracy. For lightning kills, but lots of pelt damage, try the Ballistic-tip/Silver-tip/Bronze-point, in 150gr weight.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old October 14, 2008, 04:07 PM   #4
siv

Thanks for the info guys. Yes, I would like to either keep or sell the pelts, so I will probably go with the 150 grain. Thanks again.
Old October 14, 2008, 04:22 PM   #5
taylorce1

Quote:
If the answer is "NO" then you can use whatever accurate load tickles your fancy. I would steer you towards the 150 & 165 grain bullets...
If the answer is "NO" then I'd suggest the 125 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip! With a MV of 2500 fps out of a .30-30 AI pistol they did horrible things to a prairie dog at 200 yards. I can only imagine how bad they would be on a coyote at over 3000 fps out of a rifle. Plus the recoil will be less allowing you to shoot it more often, but you will have to handload your own to use these bullets or find someone to do it for you.
Old October 14, 2008, 05:15 PM   #6
FrontSight

+1 to the "yes" that samsmix wrote & to the "no" that taylorce1 wrote
Old October 14, 2008, 05:21 PM   #7
siv

speaking about handloads, I would like to get into that myself. I guess I'm wondering what a decent quality set up would cost me. I'm not looking for state of the art, but not a piece of crap walmart special either.
Old October 14, 2008, 05:55 PM   #8
Daryl

Quote:
If the answer is "yes" then you really only have one choice: The 150 grain full metal jacket.
While the FMJ's can and do take animals, they aren't legal in all states. Arizona won't let you use FMJ's for hunting.

So, check your game laws before you use 'em. Some of the game rangers are sorta picky about such things.

All that said, just about anything you shoot from an '06 is going to ruin some hides. I've tried a bunch of different cartridges/bullets, and now I pretty much stick to using the .17 Remington for hides.

Daryl
Old October 14, 2008, 07:08 PM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

If I had to use a .30-06 and didn't mind the $$ I'd shoot 'yotes with the .30-06 Accelerator. Which is a rather pricey sabot round with a .22 caliber bullet.
Old October 14, 2008, 07:58 PM   #10
taylorce1

Quote:
While the FMJ's can and do take animals, they aren't legal in all states. Arizona won't let you use FMJ's for hunting.
Are they not legal for any hunting in AZ? I know in CO they are not legal for hunting "Big Game" but coyotes are small game and I don't remember reading any rules banning the FMJ for small game. I'll have to go check now, you got me thinking!

Yep just read the Small Game regulations, and no mention of FMJ bullets being illegal here in CO. Of course check your State for their regulations YMMV.
http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdonl.../smallgame.pdf

Quote:
speaking about handloads, I would like to get into that myself. I guess I'm wondering what a decent quality set up would cost me. I'm not looking for state of the art, but not a piece of crap walmart special either.
I bought my RCBS Master Reloading Kit from Wal-Mart, and that isn't a piece of crap special for around $200 several years ago, but mine came with a case trimmer as well.http://www.grafs.com/product/195104
Check Cablea's, Midway, and Graf & Sons for a reloading kit. You can start out with a Lee Anniversary Kit for around $90 with shipping. http://www.grafs.com/product/190196 If all you ever load is one or two cartridges the Lee is a great deal. The bad thing about the Lee is you will want to upgrade, and the RCBS will last you forever. What ever you buy you will have to purchase the Die Sets as well so and about another $35 dollars to the cost on average.

Another thought would be to handload some 180 grain Round Nose bullets to around 2200 fps. Sure they will go clean through but I doubt that they will cause a terrible mess on the exit side of that coyote. Plus they will kill faster and cleaner than a FMJ.
Old October 14, 2008, 08:22 PM   #11
Buzzcook

You might want to try these Federal 125gr softpoints
http://www.federalpremium.com/produc...fle.aspx?id=18

Most any bullet will do. The variable is distance.
Old October 14, 2008, 10:12 PM   #12
banditt007

expensive, but there is a company (possibly others?) that i've seen that produces 180 or so grain round nose cast bullets.... think africa. for the 30-06 that would most likely punch a clean hole in and out, but you got to watch cause that thing is prob going to go for a long ways once it exits.
Old October 14, 2008, 11:57 PM   #13
bclark1

Cast bullets, wouldn't that basically have the same effect as FMJs? I was going to recommend the 55gr accelerators myself. I've got a few boxes of them laying around that I purchased before I had a .223 - I don't recall it being unreasonably priced in comparison to most premium ammo.
Old October 14, 2008, 11:58 PM   #14
guntotin_fool

try remington accelerators, they work wonders on yotes in .308 and 30-06.

Makes your 06 into a .22-250. its really the only way to go if your hide hunting. If your just leaving them for crow bait, then anything that is accurate in your gun, and probably something lighter in weight, say 130 or so
Old October 15, 2008, 12:44 AM   #15
SWMAGMAN

The Accelerators, which are a saboted 55gr projectile at about 4080 MV are a bit spendy and have a reputation of maybe 12" accuracy at 100yds, though may be worth trying as your rifle may vary - the typical 30-06 twist rate, however, would not be ideal for that bullet.
Old October 15, 2008, 11:53 AM   #16
Daryl

taylorce1 said:

Quote:
Are they not legal for any hunting in AZ? I know in CO they are not legal for hunting "Big Game" but coyotes are small game and I don't remember reading any rules banning the FMJ for small game. I'll have to go check now, you got me thinking!

Yep just read the Small Game regulations, and no mention of FMJ bullets being illegal here in CO. Of course check your State for their regulations YMMV.
http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdonl.../smallgame.pdf
You got me curious about which animals the law was in affect for, so I looked up Arizona's version.

For Arizona, under rule R12-4-303 (prohibited devices, methods, and ammunition (page 108 in the current hunting regulations)), it states that tracer, armor piercing, or full metal jacketed ammunition designed for military use is unlawful for taking any wildlife in Arizona.

So, if you can find 30-06 FMJ ammo that's designed for hunting, then it would likely be considered legal. Trying to find that might be tough though.

Some states allow FMJ's, but many don't. I meant no offense by my post; just wanted to make the point that some states don't allow FMJ's for hunting, so it pays to check.

Good hunting to ya!

Daryl
Old October 15, 2008, 03:35 PM   #17
siv

I went out and bought a box of those Remington 55gr accelerators. I haven't had a chance to go out hunting with them yet (i'll have to wait a while) however, i do like how accurate they are coming out of my rifle.
Old October 15, 2008, 06:01 PM   #18
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Me being the cheapskate that I am, a lot of my reloading gear was "good used" when I bought it. Guys at gunshows often have stuff they're selling because of upgrading, or dies they no longer use.

Absent serious stoopid, you can't wear out a press. And you can disassemble a sizing die to see whether or not it's scratched on the sizing surface.

You can check out powder scales by using known-weight bullets, and recalibrate as necessary (I've never had a problem).

Lots of the little handy accessories sometimes show up on gunshow tables.

The thing about handloads is that you can load way down, below the expansion point. If you're calling, that would work fine, as the shots are pretty close, commonly.

I've never used the Accelerators, but most any standard load in an '06 does horrible things to coyotes, spreading body parts over a lot of countryside. Maybe a "Texas heart shot"? A buddy of mine did that with a .25-'06, and there was no visible exit or anything. It was a perfect "centerpunch", as well.

I've not tried it, but it seems to me that calling Ol' Wily in close and then trying to cut his throat with the shot would be the least wasteful of the hide.
Old October 15, 2008, 07:28 PM   #19
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
...but most any standard load in an '06 does horrible things to coyotes, spreading body parts over a lot of countryside.
That is a fact, but you have to admit it's funny if you're not trying to sell them.
Old October 16, 2008, 12:45 AM   #20
nra_guns_winner

Well as a reloader I must say to get the best accuracy you must match the barrel twist rate to the weight of bullet you will be shooting. Start their plus or minus 10 grains and you'll never notice any changes. Another thing to keep in mind is what you plan to do with the dead ball of hair if you get one. A heavy bullet will blow quit a nice hole out the side. FYI when I coyote hunt I usually carry two rifles. A 12ga with 3" turkey or goose shells Maybe #4. The other gun a good centerfire like my .308 with a scope. You just never know where that target will be at. Jan 07 I shot two at 12 noon off my back porch.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12491565@N07/2945698737/
Old November 1, 2008, 08:53 PM   #21
Colorado Redneck

Texas heart Shot??

Art---what in blazes is a Texas Heart shot?
Old November 1, 2008, 10:03 PM   #22
HiBC

Different strokes for different folks!!
My way to look at it : I pick a good load for a rifle,sight it in and learn to use it.For me,in a 30-06 that would likely be a 180 gr,or maybe a 165,depending.
In either case,a Sierra Matchking would likely perform like a ball round on a coyote.
Y'all do it your way,but to re-sight in with varmint bullets for one thing and medium bullets for something else,etc leaves me with a rifle that is never ready to go for what is coming next.Its still set up for what I did last,and all the different loads and components!!!AAAhrgh! I prefer simple.

If I was using my 30-338 to shoot prairie dogs,I'd do it with the same 200 gr Accubonds its sighted with,more than likely.
But thats just me.
Old November 1, 2008, 10:42 PM   #23
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Art---what in blazes is a Texas Heart shot?
I don't know how this shot got its name, but it refers to shooting at the heart--from the BACK of the animal.