The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 2, 2012, 08:02 PM   #26
Rifleman1952

My son owns a Beretta PX4 sub compact in 9mm. I was able to fire about 200 rounds out of it and actually carried it concealed a few times. It's a little smaller than the compact version. I found it to be highly reliable and accurate. I normally carry a S&W J-frame with 5 shots, so it was a comforting feeling to be carrying 13+1. Beretta is a great firearms maker and has been around for a long time. I think you will enjoy the compact version very much. Great choice!
Old November 3, 2012, 03:52 PM   #27
ShootingNut

Value

With the 50 buck rebate now from Beretta, the PX4 compact would
be hard to beat imho.
I have seen NIB that nets 359 after the rebate, a lot of quality for
that money.
SN
Old November 3, 2012, 09:15 PM   #28
t-sig

my wife has a px4 compact 40 and I LOVE IT.accurate and reliable
Old November 3, 2012, 10:13 PM   #29
Aristides

I have more than a dozen semiautos and revolvers, and can afford any gun that I want. I like each of my pistols for various reasons, but I carry my PX4 Compact 75% of the time. You can pay more for any number of pistols, but in my opinion, they won't be any more carriable, shootable, accurate, reliable, or handsome than your PX4.

If you like the features and it feels good in your hand, it will make an excellent gun, whether it is your only one, or one of many.
Old November 5, 2012, 08:24 PM   #30
Diesel77

Thanks for all the feedback and encouragement!

I guess I got more supporters than anything due to my thread's subject line... One last time - any other pistols I should consider?
Old November 6, 2012, 12:55 AM   #31
Justice06RR

Hello and welcome to the forum.

For your budget and requirements, the PX4 should serve you very well.

If you want to drool on it some more while watching a good movie, watch INCEPTION
Old November 6, 2012, 10:59 AM   #32
JFootin

Have a look at the Walther P99. Very dependable and absolutely great ergonomics.
Old November 6, 2012, 11:36 AM   #33
tahunua001

Quote:
Have a look at the Walther P99. Very dependable and absolutely great ergonomics.
the walther is a striker fired gun which the OP is not interested in and is nearly twice as much as the PX4.
Old November 6, 2012, 04:04 PM   #34
MLeake

With the OP's requirements, the other gun that leaps to mind is the Cougar (Beretta or Stoeger). It's the all metal gun on which the PX4 was based.

A used 3rd generation S&W would also be worth considering.

Both the Cougar and the S&W would be heavier than the PX4. This may or may not be a big deal.
Old November 11, 2012, 10:58 AM   #35
chaim

Quote:
any other pistols I should consider?
There are a ton of good guns out there in the $500 and under range right now.

Based on your criteria, I'm guessing you are looking for a gun that would be good both at the range and for CCW (you may be asking for a compact due to small hands, so I may be guessing wrong).

I do think the PX4 Compact is a good option here. From all accounts from those who own them, they are accurate and reliable. If it feels good in your hand, it is a good gun. Right now the price is right (look at Buds, $399 plus FFL fees), and there is a $50 rebate. They are big enough to be a decent range gun, and they are small enough to carry about 85-90% of the time.

You state you like the SIG 229. New SIGs can be found in the $800 range, not all models of the 229 are over $1K. Used, you should be able to find one right around your price range. I had a 229 in .40S&W and it was one of the best guns I've ever owned.

CZ is another maker that is incredible. Finding one with problems is rare (though it happens with all guns), so many people (me included) find the ergonomics to be perfect, and they are quite accurate for most shooters. My CZ 75 is one of my most accurate platforms for me (it is neck and neck between that and the 1911). I have well over 10K rounds through my CZ 75B (I stopped counting years ago) and could count the number of hiccups on one hand. The 75B is a full sized pistol, and these days finding one for $500 or less would be near impossible (though you might find one used). However, the polymer CZ P07 seems to have all the merits of the 75B (based on what I read online) and can easily be had for under $500.

I am also in the market right now for a .40 or 9mm in the $500 range (+/- a little) that is sized right for both CCW and the range and I am looking at:
-The CZ P07
-Going over the budget for a CZ P01 or PCR
-Going over budget, just a little, and getting the 33oz full sized CZ 75B (or another 75B in my case)
-Getting a used SIG P229 or P228.
-At the top of the budget, I really like the S&W M&P (yes, it is striker fired)
-SIG 250
Taurus PT809 or 809 Compact (I have had good luck with Taurus, and this is hammer fired)
-Taurus 24/7 (striker fired)
-Ruger P95. Yes it is a bit bigger, but it could be carried and it is priced quite reasonably.
-Ruger SRc or SR series (striker fired)
-Of course, the PX4 Compact. I really want the CZ or Taurus options right now, but that $50 rebate puts the Beretta $70-80 under the CZ P07 at Buds (and $210 under the P01) and that price difference makes it hard to resist.

For me though, I'd look for the "Constant Action" (I assume that means DAO) or decocker only versions. I'm not a fan of the Beretta safety/decocker (I'm a 1911 guy, I don't want a safety which works "backwards"- down should be fire, up should be safe IMO).

Last edited by chaim; November 11, 2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old November 12, 2012, 01:17 PM   #36
Diesel77

Thanks for the recent bunch of replies, especially to chaim for his detailed response.

-D
Old November 17, 2012, 04:12 PM   #37
Famas

I enjoyed the information provided by members on this thread. I too, have been wanting a Beretta PX4 Storm Compact 9mm myself, and after reading the input here I think I may buy one for myself for X-mas!