The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 12, 2011, 12:08 PM   #1
UtahGrouse

Putting a sling on a SG w/ out swivels

I am looking at buying a Rem 870 Express 20 ga for my better half, she has decided she wants to go upland game hunting with me. There are not any sling swivels on this gun, is there any relatively easy way to attach a sling? (ie, won't need a gun smith)

Also $225 for a used but in very good condition 870 seems reasonable. Am I correct?

Thanks.
Old November 12, 2011, 01:14 PM   #2
tominct

They make slings that have loops at each end, like a noose that tightens at the wrist and the forend. I've seen them in Cabela's and other catalogs.
Old November 12, 2011, 02:19 PM   #3
jaguarxk120

Brownells has what your looking for.
Old November 12, 2011, 03:04 PM   #4
TheKlawMan

Google 870 sling attachment and choose what you like.
Old November 12, 2011, 04:13 PM   #5
tAKticool

just FYI- I did not have the actual parts necessary for my M930SPX so I ghetto rigged it, I used zip ties and it worked brilliantly!

I put a ziptie (AKA flex cuffs) on/around the magazine tube (all the way near the bottom) and then another one on the stock, near the thinnest part (the 'handle' area)...

On the TOP zipte, I attached a little loop of cloth (actually procured from a key chain) , it has a loop stiched top (which the flex cuff passes through) and a loop stiched bottom) which the sling connector passes through.

then the bottom , the piece on the stock, I had put a standard but heavy-duty-type quality key ring, through the flex cuff/zip tie before I fastened it. Then I attach the other end of the sling, with the sling connector, to that end .. Trim the ends of the flex cuffs real short and you're golden. IS this the best ideal connection? PRobably not. but it's 100% effective. Especially my shotgun, I generally habe in my hands. IBut I am a FIRM Believer in all longguns having a sling JUST IN CASE.. my Savage Mark II had studs included, so the sling mounted roight on it. The Rem 597, I had studs installed, so a sling was good for that... But the M930SPX just didn't have good sling stuff so I made do, and its all good...Really unique and really effective. Again, not PERFECT, but perfect for me. I could now use it for slinging my shotgun on my shoulder temporarily, I can put it across my back for longer term or say I was carrying my AR, i also want my shotgun with me, I'm all good.

You can also do this for ARs and others.. my S&W M&P 15-22 had no sling attachment.. if I want to use my Magpul MS/2 single point sling I can zip tie on the rear stock area and use a keyring, instant single point sling attachment point.
Old November 12, 2011, 05:48 PM   #6
Pahoo

Another application for Uncle Mikes

Uncle Mikes make a set of studs and swivels for your express with directions on how to install. You can buy a new magazine cap with that front stud installed or you can get studs for the cap and buttstock. The only thing you have to determine is how old your express might be. The newer expresses, have a gear tooth shaped insert under the cap. The older express take a different type. If you are half way handy, you can do the work yourself. Not a problem. ....

The following link show the kit for "Internal Rachet" you will have to define what you have. ....

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/611...t-1-steel-blue

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; November 12, 2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old November 12, 2011, 09:34 PM   #7
TheKlawMan

I missef that this was an 870 Express with a synthetic stock. I have one in 12 gauge and it has a place on the stock to hook slling hardware on. Add a mag cap with a sling swivel and you are in business.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...6&d=1293858392

The particular model has a sling swivel which comes with a factory exntended magazine. I wouldn't expect your wife to get a 20 g with one, but look at the swivel on the stock. While that one is an actual swivel, you may find that an 820 synthetic has something similare molded into the stock.