The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 5, 2005, 11:01 AM   #26
shamus005

It was a very prudent course of action.
Old November 5, 2005, 12:16 PM   #27
Limeyfellow

A sensible thing to do. Its also good to take someone along with you. I have done the same thing before carrying a tommygun, so don't feel too bad.
Old November 5, 2005, 01:03 PM   #28
riverkeeper

Yes. Roscoe needed a walk.
Check out the book "Gift of Fear". Not what you think and much much good.
Old November 5, 2005, 01:13 PM   #29
progunner1957

Paranoid? No. Refuse to be a victim? Yes.

Kilroy -
You did the right thing, absolutely 100% right thing without a doubt. You did what you had to to make sure you and your mother were safe. Good man!!

They say that "crime is at a ___ year low" (fill in the blank) but watch the 11 PM news for a week and you'll see that even if the above statement is true, we still live in a nation where criminal predators walk the streets and more are released from prison each and every week.

Home invasions seem to be a growing crime these days; last week on the local news, a man in Indianapolis answered his doorbell at 9 PM (I wouldn't have) and was bashed in the head with a brick and robbed; his wife watched in horror and begged the 911 operator to send help. He died from his wounds.

The scumbag was caught, but that does not make it all okay (contrary to the thinking of The Sheeple). The man is still dead and his wife is still a widow.

Whenever my door bell rings, I go into either Yellow Alert (day) or Red Alert (night) with my Kimber 1911 within arm's reach. Am I paranoid? No. I refuse to be a victim, PERIOD!!!

I would suggest a longer jacket or a shoulder holster for your 1911; they are heavy for belt carry, and require overtightening of the belt to the point of being uncomfortable to keep them and your pants in place. Another option would be an inside-the-waistband (IWB) holster. They keep the gun in place pretty well, and the end of the holster is inside the waistband of your pants where it is concealed.

Keep up the good work, never let your guard down and refuse to be a victim!!
Old November 5, 2005, 08:23 PM   #30
sjstill

progunner1957 wrote;

"...they are heavy for belt carry, and require overtightening of the belt to the point of being uncomfortable to keep them and your pants in place."

Then you're wearing too wimpy of a belt. Lot easier to blame the gun, though....

The primary target is what we call the thoracic triangle. Shots to this area tend to make people FDGB (“fall down go boom”).
Old November 7, 2005, 01:51 AM   #31
schorched

Paranoid? I don't think you are. I carry a gun for a living and have undoubtedly pissed off more than one person during the course of a normal work day. I also live out in the sticks. In the woods to be exact, and have been known to take many a #2's with my pistol laying on the cloths hamper in front of me while I push. If we're paranoid man, than it beats being dead. I think you where totally within reason to arm yourself.
Old November 7, 2005, 11:48 AM   #32
Kilroy08

Now that I've had a couple of days to mull it over...

My initial doubt and asking for a verdict on it was due to the fact that this is the first time I've had to deal with a situation like this. I feel that I handled it well. While not exactly carrying concealed, I was carrying discreetley. Heck, I doubt he even saw the holster sticking out. I always had my maglight pointed at him and was never backlit.

One area of clarification though. He was at the end of my driveway, Mom found out he was there as she was pulling into the driveway. Not the most pleasant of surprizes. We also share a driveway with some neigbors who's house is right on the road. Their schedule varies so much that I couldn't really count on them for support if something brown hit the fan. So in conclusion, I'm not going to be in the open with no reasonble cover or backup nearby without my firearm.

I feel that I have handled it well and will continue to do so until new experience dictates otherwise.

Kilroy, too cautious but rightly so, was here

Btw: In reference to Mr. Dust Devil's remark about "At least you didn't come out pointing a shotgun at him." Could've been worse... How 'bout my '03-A3 with 18" of bayonet hanging off the end of it.