The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 21, 2011, 10:17 PM   #1
Miata Mike

case trimming

I am considering reloading .270 Win at the minimum, and maybe other rifle cartridges yet to be decided. I was wondering what might be considered one of the better/best trimming setups. I have mostly Lee dies and classic cast press, but have also sprung for a RCBS 1500 loadmaster powder/scale combo.

What do you consider a good flexible trimming set up? Thanks!
Old April 21, 2011, 10:25 PM   #2
COSteve

It really depends upon the volume of cases in each caliber you want to trim. If it's like <100 per year per caliber, the I'd opt for a Possum Hollow Kickcase Trimmer and power adapter. You'll only need one per caliber and they are about $25 each. If you plan to trim 1000 at a time, then a Giraud or Dillon trimmer is more your speed because they both shine for long runs of brass.
Old April 21, 2011, 10:42 PM   #3
Miata Mike

As it sits right now it will be <100 cases at a time, unless I would decide to trim the bazillion .233 cases I have right now, (with no .223 rifle at the moment).
Old April 22, 2011, 01:18 AM   #4
Eagle0711

Iv'e been using the LE Wilson. You have to buy a shell holder for ea. caliber unless it's the same parent cartrige. For ex. 30:06, 270, and 25:06 will all use the same one.

It's adjusted by a allen screw, then set it at the desired lgth. by turning the case stop to the correct length.
Old April 22, 2011, 06:44 AM   #5
PA-Joe

Get the Lee case gauge and trimmer head. No thinking or adjusting.
Old April 22, 2011, 11:04 AM   #6
Miata Mike

I ordered a Lee zip trimmer and case gage/holder for .270 Win. Thanks for the replies.
Old April 22, 2011, 01:56 PM   #7
mehavey

Quote:
have also sprung for a RCBS 1500 Chragemaster powder/scale combo.
Like that Chargemaster (from which you will never look back), the Giraud trimmer is another lifetime investment which years from now you will ask, " ...how will I ever do without it...? " as you give it to your son.

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com...e-trimmer.html

... and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X1Zdwnm9Fk
Old April 22, 2011, 05:21 PM   #8
Clifford L. Hughes

Clifford L. Hughes

Mike:The Wilson was my first case trimmer and it worked perfectly. However, I switched to a Forester (might not be spelled right). It is not only capable of trimming length you can, with attachments, turn necks both inside and out side and a 1/4 inch drill can be attached.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergent
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired
Old April 27, 2011, 12:12 AM   #9
Marco Califo

Lyman and Wilson trimmers

I have used a Lyman trimmer, my first. Pretty sloppy, loose and wobbly; and had lots of parts to lose.

I recently bought an L.E. Wilson and case holders for 223 and 308. I like it. It is a much more precisely manufactured machine, and will trim each case within 1 or 2 thousands the first time you use it, and it is my choice now. That said,

1. It is slow if you are doing 50 or more cases at a time.
2. It is shipped without a mountable base, and they recommend a vice to hold it in. OK, I bought a $15 drill press vice at Harbor Freight. The 4' vice is a perfect size and weight. http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-...ise-30999.html So far, it stays in my living room. I set it on a cutting board in my lap and watch TV.
3. The Wilson instructions say something about a power adapter and "keeping drill speed down".

So, like everyone else, I suggest you consider your volume.

Last edited by Marco Califo; April 27, 2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old April 27, 2011, 06:55 AM   #10
4runnerman

Another vote here for LE Wilson. Best accuracy in my opinion. One case at a time but if accuracy is what you are after???... I use mune in a vise that has a suction grip on it,so i can take the vise and stick it on coffee table and watch TV while i trim or sit out on deck and trim. I just finished 2500 223 cases and was very amazed at the accuracy of the thing. All cases measures either 1.752 or 1.7525.
Old April 30, 2011, 07:08 AM   #11
Peter M. Eick

RCBS Power trimmer with a 3 way cutter. Once you set it up, you just drop the brass in and it does the work. Simple fast and effective. Unfortunately not cheap.
Old April 30, 2011, 07:13 AM   #12
m&p45acp10+1

I use the lee with a cordless drill. I can trim while watching tv. Fewere moving parts, and it works every time.
Old April 30, 2011, 07:28 AM   #13
alloy

Using a Hornady Cam-lock electric powered, and an old benchtop lathe for prep, chamfer, primer pocket cleaning etc....case prep is still a 3 or 4 step chore.

The anality of trying to stay caught up makes it far worse.
Old May 2, 2011, 04:56 PM   #14
rsnell

L. E. Wilson makes a very good case trimmer but I have chosen to use a Forster original case trimmer and have a classic base I use with this trimmer. It is very good at trimming cases to length and can be used to chamfer military primer pockets, clean primer pockets, and inside or outside neck turn.

Bob Snell