The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 13, 2010, 10:08 PM   #1
liberty1

gsg fake silencer now illegal ?

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=505187
Any truth to this ?

Last edited by liberty1; February 13, 2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old February 13, 2010, 11:40 PM   #2
Lurch37

Well it seems as if there is some truth to it by looking thru those links. I would hope that lots more info would be provided before everyone gets too worked up. It does not look good for those owning a SD Model of the GSG right now but things could change for the better or worse.
Old February 15, 2010, 08:42 AM   #3
hayes1966

Dealer in CT removed all his from the racks after an ATF audit. Not sure what is happening yet as there are several other gun shops with them for sale.

Excellent communication from the ATF on the product.
Old February 15, 2010, 09:02 AM   #4
Skans

I'm interested to know what was problematic with the fake suppressors. Were they easy to convert to real ones? Or is this a ban based simply on the look of it.
Old February 15, 2010, 09:03 AM   #5
gyvel

Not one word about it on their website.
Old February 15, 2010, 09:13 AM   #6
LukeA

As far as I can tell, this whole episode has been caused by a single email.
Old February 15, 2010, 09:17 AM   #7
Willie Lowman

Till I see a copy of the ATF letter I am gonna call bull**** to this.
Old February 15, 2010, 12:43 PM   #8
full.tang.halo

Massive update from Chris @ ATI on the above mentioned ar-15.com forums.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...=305635&page=2

Quote:
gyvel: Not one word about it on their website.
Chris says in the post that the web admin is out sick and they are going to try to get it up tomorrow

Last edited by full.tang.halo; February 15, 2010 at 12:48 PM. Reason: stuff
Old February 20, 2010, 07:45 PM   #9
RobsImprza00

Quote:
(GunReports.com) — In the wake of a recent ATF reclassificaton of its GSG 5 SD barrel shroud as a suppressor, ATI has initiated an immediate recall of all barrel shrouds on its GSG 5 SD firearms.

A letter issued by ATI states:

To all retail customers:

On January 2010 American Tactical Imports Inc received official notification from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and explosives that the original barrel shroud (aka: fake suppressor) supplied with your GSG 5 SD model must be replaced. It has been determined that this shroud is regulated under the National Firearms Act. American Tactical will provide a replacement shroud at no charge for each GSG 5 SD model sold or currently in inventory.

Consumers in possession of a GSG 5 SD model with the original shroud in place on the firearm are now in violation of the NFA. To avoid continued violation of the NFA, ATI asks that all persons in possession obtain a replacement shroud as soon as possible. We anticipate arrival of the new shrouds to begin by the middle of February 2010.

IMPORTANT: THE ORIGINAL SD MODEL SHROUD MUST BE RETURNED ACCOMPANIED BY THE FIREARM SERIAL NUMBER BEFORE A REPLACEMENT SHROUD IS ISSUED. THE DIAMETER OF THE SD SHROUD IS 1-9/16”. DO NOT RETURN THE SMALLER CARBINE SHROUD.

WHAT TO DO:

If possible return your old shroud to the dealer where purchased and show him this notice. The shroud will be returned to ATI along with a list of serial numbers from the guns that the shrouds were removed. ATI will send replacements to the dealer for pick up at your convenience; ATI will be sending replacements as fast as logistics allow. If your dealer is out of business or difficult to reach, or you purchased your gun used, from a consumer, return the shroud directly by US mail or UPS to American Tactical Imports Inc. 100 Airpark Drive Rochester, NY 14624.

PLEASE TRY NOT TO CALL US. We will provide comprehensive information on our web sites: www.AmericanTactical.us, and www.AR15.com or by e-mail to [email protected].

REMEMBER, INCLUDE THE FIREARM SERIAL NUMBER WITH EACH SHROUD OR A REPLACEMENT WILL NOT BE ISSUED.

This action IS NOT being instituted through any fault and is strictly due to NFA compliance. American Tactical will assume the responsibility to satisfy the requirements in an effort to minimize the impact on our customers and protect your investment.

We at American Tactical Imports Inc. sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused by this unfortunate situation.

Sincerely,
Anthony DiChario
President C.E.O. retailcandoc.021210

My question is i have the 1st anni edition and it came with a 1-1/4" fake suppressor, im guessing this doesnt fall under their specs so i would be good?
Old February 20, 2010, 08:33 PM   #10
full.tang.halo

if your gsg 5 looks like this

Then you need to get it replaced, any other gsg-5's are ok as it sets right now, but you know the atf can always change it's mind......
Old February 20, 2010, 09:36 PM   #11
liberty1

Dropped mine off at the dealer yesterday. I guess we will see how long this takes.
Old February 21, 2010, 01:48 PM   #12
RobsImprza00

Not quite like that, i have the narrower barrel cover and it doesnt have any writing on it.

I told the guy at my range today about this, considering he sold 2-3 of them he now needs to get in touch with those customers.
Old February 21, 2010, 02:52 PM   #13
Venom1956

Wow that is the stupidest **** I've ever heard. really? really? :barf::barf::barf:
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old February 21, 2010, 02:56 PM   #14
Skans

I'd like to know BATFE's basis for demanding a recall. This thing isn't a silencer or suppressor by any definition. If BATFE is requiring this action, it should state WHY it is requiring it. Otherwise, if I had one, I'd take my chances.

I don't get it - BATFE says "TURN IT IN, OR ELSE" and no one else is questioning this???
Old February 21, 2010, 03:07 PM   #15
Venom1956

Definately. I would love to see someone that is able and willing to give the ATF a hell of a time over an aluminum tube.

But what bothers me the most is the principle... Like you can have these send em in or... I mean W T _ is that? THEY work for US not the other way around. I wanna see how much the actually 'Suppress' a .22lr I wanna see proof as well. No pro gun rights people blew a whistle on this?
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug

Last edited by Venom1956; February 21, 2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old February 21, 2010, 04:36 PM   #16
David Hineline

My guess would be that people did form 1ns on the fake silencer and made it real so the ATF take on that is that it's too close to a real silencer hence regulated.
Old February 21, 2010, 08:41 PM   #17
shouldacouldawoulda

Well... That's our free country for ya. I just had a L.E. friend find this out about his GSG-5. Now he is a little upset, as he just purchased his weapon
2 weeks ago.
Old February 22, 2010, 11:01 AM   #18
tdrizzle

I understood the recall to be caused by the fake suppressor actually lowering the sound report slightly, making it a de facto real suppressor.

Not sure why someone didn't test this before selling them, but it's what I have read in a couple of different places, and it does make sense (sort of).
Old February 22, 2010, 11:09 AM   #19
Skans

Quote:
I understood the recall to be caused by the fake suppressor actually lowering the sound report slightly, making it a de facto real suppressor.

Not sure why someone didn't test this before selling them, but it's what I have read in a couple of different places, and it does make sense (sort of).
I don't see how this is possible, unless the barrel is somehow ported into the baffle.
Old February 22, 2010, 03:33 PM   #20
goodspeed(TPF)

Tagged.

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old February 28, 2010, 10:59 PM   #21
Samuel2001

I was told that the original SD can that was submitted to ATF for evaluation and import permits was a solid chunk of aluminium and with a hole just large enough for the barrel to slide into. The Current item is hollow and closed at the ends, with the threaded cap on one end and the one with the hole just large enough for the barrel to peek out of at the other. Some space between the barrel and outer can.

I guess they are afraid some one will drill ports thru the barrel and fill the hollow can with some sort of sound suppressing media.

Build a bridge, and...GET OVER IT!
Old March 1, 2010, 08:53 AM   #22
jmorris

Quote:
Look at the photo above the silver part in the center is the barrel. As David stated, get a F1 trim the barrel back, add in a few K's and blind pin the bottom of the tube so you don't have an SBR and you have a suppressor.