The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 5, 2010, 06:01 AM   #1
YeagerTheKid

Glock 18, best gun Glock ever made?

In a past thread i had another member tell me that the Glock 18 was not the best gun glock has ever made. What do you think? Yes i know that its probably not neccesary that a pistol can spit out a 33 round clip in aprox. 2 sec, I said probably, but what if it need's to? The facts
-It's a pistol, easy to carry and conceal
-It's fully auto, 33 round in 2 sec
-It has a semi-auto setting if fully isnt needed
-It's used by some of Glock's pro-shooter's
-IT'S A FULLY AUTO PISTOL!

I'm not trying to make anyone mad, just want to know what everyone else thinks.
Old February 5, 2010, 06:24 AM   #2
theaceco

Not the best Glock ever made.

It's just impractical. Definitely not easy to conceal a pistol with a 33 round mag sticking out of it. All glocks have been used at one time or another by Glock pro shooters.

The only thing that is has is the cool factor. That, and if you're Morpheus, you will likely use it to blow up an escalade with albino twins in it.
Old February 5, 2010, 09:16 AM   #3
Skans

It's just a full-auto Glock 17. I do think that the Glock 17 is the best gun that Glock makes, so I guess the Glock 18 is at least as good.

Folks like to say that the Glock 18 has no purpose. But, the truth is that none of us have every had the opportunity to train with one, let alone shoot one. I suppose if you have 10 drop-free mags strapped to you and you are well trained in shooting the full-auto glock, it may be a very practical weapon.
Old February 5, 2010, 11:26 AM   #4
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Really sort of a moot point as so few (any?) are transferable.
Old February 5, 2010, 12:24 PM   #5
jmorris

I've shot a full auto 34 with a stock, quite the bullet hose and a lot lighter than an m10/11. Best, at what?
Old February 5, 2010, 12:49 PM   #6
Maser

To be honest, I don't get why so many folks think the Glock is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I'm not knocking Glocks because I do love the G26. It's just that I don't feel it's the best.

Now, as for the G18. What can I say. The overly short action makes it a true lead hose. I don't feel they are practical firing in FA unless it has a stock or foregrip or you have good trigger control and burst fire. Fun? Yes. Practical? No.
Old February 5, 2010, 01:08 PM   #7
Glock-19

You can turn any Glock into full auto with a sear and a $200 ATF tax stamp.
Old February 5, 2010, 01:43 PM   #8
Maser

If the sear and gun is pre-86. Or you are a Class II Manufacturer.
Old February 5, 2010, 03:20 PM   #9
FALacy

I've shot a Glock 18. It was not the least bit controllable. The full auto feature serves no purpose.
Old February 5, 2010, 06:45 PM   #10
Venom1956

its mag not clip. No if full auto is your goal you'd be better served with a SMG of some sort.

Also any glock with the 33 round mag is anything but concealable..
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old February 5, 2010, 06:49 PM   #11
Hkmp5sd

Quote:
You can turn any Glock into full auto with a sear and a $200 ATF tax stamp.
If it was that simple, I'd have one.

NRA Life Member
Old February 5, 2010, 07:27 PM   #12
4INCHSMITH

I'd rather have a 93r, at least that has a foregrip, and the 3rnd burst seems like it would be a bit more controlable. I say this with absolutely no experience of course.
Old February 5, 2010, 08:49 PM   #13
KChen986

You can't miss fast enough, and with the G18, unless you need some up close firepower, a full auto pistol without a butt stock seems impractical. Fire superiority is not achieved just by placing rounds down range, but is achieved by placing effective rounds down range.
Old February 5, 2010, 08:55 PM   #14
Willie Lowman

The chief of police in my town has one. I think it may be a bit of a holster trophy.

It seems to me that the purpose of the G18 is lost on some of the posters here. It isn't an MP5 or Uzi. It's a PDW. A handgun that will put five rounds to the COM of a target that is at a conversational distance. Five rounds faster than most could pull off a double tap. It is a weapon for making lots of holes up close and personal, at that it excels.

Best Glock ever? I dunno about that. Useless? I dunno about that either.
Old February 5, 2010, 09:13 PM   #15
Hkmp5sd

Quote:
a full auto pistol without a butt stock seems impractical.
Things are not always what they seem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMRhxKB0m2U

NRA Life Member
Old February 5, 2010, 09:54 PM   #16
RychenCop

i shot a 18 about 12 years ago. full auto it's worthless, but if you learn to control it (3 or 4 round bursts) then it certainly has it's +'s. fun nonetheless.
Old February 5, 2010, 11:52 PM   #17
kozak6

Glock 18, the best Glock? The best Glock for what?

Is it still the best if there probably isn't a transferable one in the USA?

Are there even any transferable converted Glock 17's?

And it's still unergonomic.

Quote:
That, and if you're Morpheus
is probably the only way you are going to get to own one.

Quote:
I'd rather have a 93r, at least that has a foregrip, and the 3rnd burst seems like it would be a bit more controlable.
Yeah, there's at least some transferable converted Taurus versions.
Old February 6, 2010, 12:05 AM   #18
XD Gunner

Quote:
In a past thread i had another member tell me that the Glock 18 was not the best gun glock has ever made. What do you think? Yes i know that its probably not neccesary that a pistol can spit out a 33 round clip in aprox. 2 sec, I said probably, but what if it need's to? The facts
-It's a pistol, easy to carry and conceal
-It's fully auto, 33 round in 2 sec
-It has a semi-auto setting if fully isnt needed
-It's used by some of Glock's pro-shooter's
-IT'S A FULLY AUTO PISTOL!
It's a tactically useless extra-cost Glock 17. How is it better? It has a "fun button?"

If handguns cause crimes, mine's defective.- Eric Shelton
Old February 6, 2010, 01:51 AM   #19
Venom1956

Plus unless you kept it on FA in holster... I would be impressed to watch someone flip the selector in order to go FA in a close confrontation.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old February 6, 2010, 02:05 AM   #20
grymph

Safety first

Someone is eventually gonna post this reply. Might as well be me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11fcg...eature=related
Old February 6, 2010, 02:06 AM   #21
mrnkc130

I disagree that it is worthless, as Willie Lowman said it has its purpose. Its not an SMG and not meant to be used like one. As a personal defense weapon I see where it could be very usefull.

I have never shot one but I've seen plenty of videos. The later model one with the ported barrel appears to be very controllable.

Best Glock ever? not sure about that, IIRC its is pretty much the same as any other Glock minus the FA selector switch.

IF I had the choice to have any Glock I wanted, it would be the Glock 18. I think if the BATF came up to just about anyone and said "Hey, we're gonna let you have what ever glock you want just this one time" I bet everyone would pick the Glock 18, even if it was just because they could actually buy any other model but the 18 is pretty much off limits. Would that qaulify it as the best? maybe...

Quote:
It's just impractical. Definitely not easy to conceal a pistol with a 33 round mag sticking out of it.
I dont think it was designed to be concealed with that magazine....

Quote:
I've shot a Glock 18. It was not the least bit controllable. The full auto feature serves no purpose.
Maybe you just aren't very good with the gun because you only rented it and shot it once? Thats a pretty absolute statement, and if it were true then why is there a market for them or any other machine pistol?

Quote:
You can't miss fast enough, and with the G18, unless you need some up close firepower, a full auto pistol without a butt stock seems impractical. Fire superiority is not achieved just by placing rounds down range, but is achieved by placing effective rounds down range
It's purpose, like most any handgun IS close up firepower. In the kind of situation in which you would need a Glock 18 you're probably not going to be able to get well aimed shots off, the auto function would give you the speed to possibly neutralize multiple assailants, or if you did need well placed shots just dont put it on FA, then you have a full size 9mm pistol like any other.

The gun isn't made to be a medium machine gun people, with all the discussion about what gun is best for what that goes on here how do so many people not see that this gun like all others have specific purposes, this one is suited as a personal defense weapon....jeeeezzzz...
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man,the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a timehanded out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now
restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things:bread and circuses (Juvenal, Satire 10.77–81)
Old February 6, 2010, 04:23 AM   #22
Venom1956

yes but he stated having it with the 33 round mag. I was only making that point. if it had a 17 or 19 rounder it would conceal just fine.

Secondly depending where you used it in SD such as in a standard CCW case all those FA rounds that missed your multiple assailants would look really really bad in court... so where did the 17 of those 33 rounds that missed wind up?

I think it serves a purpose but as a SD weapon or PDW their are better options. Just my opinion. God it looks like a hell of alotta fun.
Old February 6, 2010, 09:36 AM   #23
jmorris

I guess the “uncontrollable” conjecture is from folks who have never shot one. Here is a video of a friends kid shooting one last 4th of July. Practical? No, but then again it’s a machinegun.

http://s664.photobucket.com/albums/v...nt=twm1045.flv

The stock does help and makes it as long as an M16

Old February 6, 2010, 11:16 AM   #24
Venom1956

I likes your Toys! that Ruger FA too?
Old February 6, 2010, 11:46 AM   #25
jmorris

Most of those are others toys the ruger is just a suppresed SBR.