The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 26, 2008, 01:50 AM   #1
Bones507

223 load question

I have about a pound of H-380 that i would like to use but the only rifle i have left to load for is a 223 Rem, i have not been able to find a load for it in any book i have but i did come across this post by someone online.
The fellow stated the following :
55 gr bullet
Starting load-26.5 grs 2821 FPS
max load 28.5 3082 FPS

I would like to know if there is a way to check if its safe or not or if anyone here has used this in the past. I normally use H-335 but i had this stuff left over from my 6.5x55 rifle and wanted to find some use for it.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old October 26, 2008, 02:29 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

H380 is too slow for good .223 performance with a light bullet. A case filled as far as you can go short of compressing the powder will only generate about 38,000 PSI. Ballistic efficiency will only be about 19%, so a lot of wasted unburned powder will go out the tube. That means it will tend to burn dirty and inconsistently, which is not good for accuracy. This is why you are having trouble finding published load recommendations using it.

Slow powders with light bullets also exhibit secondary muzzle pressure spikes on some measuring equipment. It is best to steer clear of the combination, I think. For 50 grain bullets you can get some very good performance and accuracy from good old IMR 4198. For ball powder with a 50 grain bullet, I think H322 would be the first one I'd look at.

If you switch to the Sierra 80 grain MatchKing, a case 100% filled short of compression will produce about 48,000 PSI and give 28% ballistic efficiency. That is almost normal, and would work OK.

You'll note I am stating % case fill rather than grains. That is because different case brands and chamber sizes will vary what that amount is? If the fired case has a water capacity of 30.5 grains, then the load is about 23.5 grains under the 80 grain Sierra bullet seated to SAAMI standard 2.26" COL.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 26, 2008, 12:25 PM   #3
Bones507

Thanks Nick, i appreciate the input. I may just wind up using it to fire form some cases in the future or trade it to someone at the range.