The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 27, 2006, 11:59 AM   #1
Bert223

E.R. Shaw barrels

Hey everyone,

Does anyone have an er shaw barrel? What is the quality like on it? How does it shoot? How is the fit and finish? I'm looking to get one for a mauser project. Any info on these would be nice. I already checked the website out. Thanks everyone .
Old September 27, 2006, 03:38 PM   #2
cntryboy1289

yes

E.R. Shaw makes very good barrels and I think you will be happy with it. The fit and finish is as good as most others and they can shoot very well right out of the box. You may have to figure out the load the barrel likes, but you should have a very good MOA barrel when you are through.
Old September 27, 2006, 03:45 PM   #3
Wildalaska

Mid range quality...I rate barrels as follows:

Premium: krieger, Lilja, PacNor, Walther, Shilen
Top Quality: Douglas
MidrangeQuality: Shaw

WildwalthersarehardtoworkwithAlaska
Old September 27, 2006, 08:23 PM   #4
hodaka

WildAlaska,

You forgot Hart, or do you consider them off of the chart? I own 2 Shaw barrels and they are fine for a hunting rifle. Not match quality, not match price.
Old September 27, 2006, 08:35 PM   #5
Wildalaska

Never used a hart...wait we did once they are up there with the Liljas

WildforgothartAlaska
Old September 28, 2006, 12:52 PM   #6
Scorch

I would pretty much agree with WildAlaska on ranking the barrels (except Shilens, I would rank them with Douglas as just good). Hart barrels are very, very good, so rank them with the Premium barrels. I build accuracy rifles as a hobby (after gunsmithing for real for several years), and the ER Shaw barrel is a good barrel. As was said, not match quality, not match price.

But so much of match accuracy has to do with the shooter, so someone please tell me where I can get a drop-in kit for that problem.
Old September 28, 2006, 07:26 PM   #7
Harry Bonar

barrels

Dear Sir:
I've used Douglas barrels for years, knew Gardner, both of them, Fred Depoy and there are no finer bbls made - they just invested in a profiling machine that will produce all the factory contours and their own. Call them and talk to Fred Depoy - knows his business!
Harrry B.
Old September 28, 2006, 07:39 PM   #8
tINY

Scorch,

I think you need a good gun vice and a remote trigger set-up for that.

The Etonix may work, either that or you'll have to modify a remote shutter realease from an obsolete chemical camera.....

-tINY

Old September 28, 2006, 08:58 PM   #9
Bert223

Anyone ever use an Adams and Bennett barrel? I have a 10/22 barrel made by them and it shoots fine but how are their centerfire barrels?
Old September 28, 2006, 09:09 PM   #10
cntryboy1289

I use them

I offer them to my customers. They can have flaws just as many other barrel makers will. I have them on a few of my own rifles and they perform to MOA most of the time. If you are after a hunting rifle, they will be fine just as the Shaw barrels will be as well. I have had to straighten a few out, but most of the time they only need to be put on and shot to shoot in the neighborhood of MOA.

If you want a real shooter, follow Harry's suggestion and put on a Douglas barrel or one of the better quality barrels like WildAlsksa suggested.
Old October 11, 2006, 12:29 AM   #11
Clark

My "A" barrels;
Shilen stainless steel [they are all lapped]
Lothar Walther
Hart
Lilja
Krieger

My "B+" barrels;
Douglas XX

My "B" barrels;
Remington
Winchester
Military that never saw corrosive ammo
Ruger
Green mountain
Shilen [Chrome moly without hand lapping option]
Parker Hale

The C's
Addams and Bennet [the good ones]
Military barrels that saw a little corrosive ammo

The D's:
Addams and Bennet [the bad ones]
Military barrels that saw lots of corrosive ammo

The F's:
Addams and Bennet [the really bad ones]
Military barrels that look like sewer pipes

The old A&B barrels from Midway were said to be Shaw rejects, and the new A&B barrels are said to be Green Mountain.
Old October 17, 2006, 08:17 PM   #12
joeranger

http://www.model1sales.com/item-deta...TOKEN=76701359

OK, so a shaw barrel is OK if you don't pay too much?
Old December 5, 2009, 10:24 PM   #13
AndyKUSAF

rifle Barrels

I have several custom made rifles the bottom line is accuracy, most if not all the custom barrel makers use 4140 barrel steel and 416 stainless, I do not agree that one is better then the other as the botom line is the accuracy of your rifle. The most accurate rifle i own wears an ER SHAW barrel chamberd in 280 Ackley placing 5 shots in a dime at 100 yards not even my $2000 custom Lilja can do that even though Lilja makes one heck of a barrel. How a barrel is installed, load development, stock fit and bedding to stock and triggers have more to do with accuracy then barrel brands. all are great as these guys would be out of bussness if not.
Old December 6, 2009, 04:07 PM   #14
plainsman456

I have used shaw barrels before and I have 2 barrel blanks on order now.They work well,I have 2 in 25 cal that shoot small groups.They are worth the money.A&B barrels are ok also.I just can't bring myself to pay a lot more money for a hunting barrel.Just my exp.
Old December 6, 2009, 05:10 PM   #15
bubba15301

had a shaw barrel in 223 rem throat was eroded after 200 rounds
Old December 7, 2009, 01:34 PM   #16
tINY

Sounds like you were doing something wrong at the loading bench, Bubba....

-tINY

Old December 7, 2009, 01:48 PM   #17
rbernie

Quote:
OK, so a shaw barrel is OK if you don't pay too much?
I've bought four (4) Shaw barrels from M1S for use on different AR15 builds, and all four shot acceptably well. None were stunningly sub-MOA but all delivered solid MOA-ish performance inside of 300 yards in a variety of free-floated upper configurations using generic non-optimized handloads. For the intended uses of those rifles, the barrels were more than adequate. For more critical use, I would probably use a different barrel.
Old December 7, 2009, 04:36 PM   #18
Ivan

I believe we are pretty close in agreement as to the quality of the premium barrels. A friend of mine has a very heavy E.R. Shaw barrel in .300 Win Mag. I would rate it as average to excellent factory quality barrel.

The following is getting into a lot of opinion, because as we all know, there is a lot of Voodoo and various incantations that must be recited during the construction to have a REALLY good barrel. Also, keep in mind that everyone makes a stinker every once in a while. Hopefully QA catches it but no one really knows until it is installed and fired. Also just about anyone can make a gem as well.

The premium barrels listed are the brands that you would install on a benchrest rifle: Something that would have a hope of putting all the bullets on top of a thumbtack at 100 yards. (Tack Driver!)

The Douglas probably isn't quite as good but quite good enough for a match or target rifle. There are many manufacturers in this category. Good Military barrels are probably a little worse than this followed by good commercial barrels.

I believe the best quality barrels are cut rifled followed by broach rifled followed by button rifled followed by EDM, followed by hammer forged. The button rifled barrel has the best surface finish but must use a softer steel and retains some stress because of the manufacturing method. Precise geometry is more important than best surface finish.

Stainless steel seems to have better erosion resistance than Chrome-moly. There are also some really cool alloys that folks sometimes use for machine gun barrels that are MUCH better, but way to pricey except for the government to use.

FWIW, I have two very similar guns: One wears a chrome-moly Douglas barrel while the other has a stainless Krieger barrel. The Douglas seems to slightly out-shoot the Krieger though both guns do very well.

YMMV.
- Ivan.
Old April 2, 2010, 02:21 PM   #19
Jakes10mm

Brownell's Savage Barrel Kits??

Older thread, but looking at a ER Shaw barrel in one of the pre-fit barrel kits from Brownell's for my Savage 110. Definitely some mixed opinions on their quality. I'm looking for a hunting barrel. My Savage action is currently wearing an unknown (claimed to be Savage factory) barrel in 260 Rem. I've decided to move the 260 to a short action and convert the long action back into a 30-06.

Anyone have experience with Brownell's Savage Barrel Kits?
Old April 2, 2010, 06:33 PM   #20
Gunplummer

15-20 years ago I had a real go around with two barrels from Shaw. One was a replacement for the first one sent. That ended up being a survey pin. Maybe I got two bad ones out of two thousand, I don't know. The one was drilled so crooked I could not believe it. Not bends in it but drilled crooked. It could be they improved over the years, I never ordered another. I only expected hunting quality because of the price and couldn't get that out of them. As far as using chrome moly, they use to advertise "resulpherized", that is like throwing junk back into the steel to make it machine easier.