The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 8, 2004, 12:51 AM   #1
GASCHECK

Detective Spl. Defense Loads

Knowledgeable Friends:
I need some advice for a defense load for my Detective Special. I have read dire warnings about firing +P ammo. I note that Hornady has such ammo and so does Federal. Hornady has no e-mail spot and Federal did not reply. I guess their lawyers told them to shut up! It doesn't say anywhere if either offerings are +P. Thanks!
Gascheck
Old August 8, 2004, 03:26 AM   #2
sm

I have a sentimental 1928 Det Spl. - new to me. My intent is to enjoy and take care of it- It is handy and loaded as I type , though another firearm is on my hip, "better to have it and not need it" applies to having a 2nd, 3rd....HD gun .

My criteria for any firearm is ammo must work in firearm, and I want to know POA /POI.

My Detective Special likes a 158 gr load - or 148 gr Target wadcutters the best for POA/POI . This mirrors the experience of all the older Smith snubbies in my experience, J or K frame. This seems to be the way these guns were regulated at factory with sight systems.

MY preferred load is 158 gr standard pressure LSWC - HP's. I don't have / can't find the rest of Winchester ammo I put back. Mine is loaded with 158 gr LSWC , it is all about shot placment - this load goes where it should in my gun. Either load will keep all 6 on a playing card , over and over again....
Old August 8, 2004, 06:33 AM   #3
jekla

had a friend who had one. i remember him mentioning that it was capable of handling +p ammo. his preferred load then were the 158gr so called "FBI" loads. also the 125gr federal nyclads were his preference in standard pressure loads.

too bad he sold it. was a very nice gun.
Old August 8, 2004, 08:40 AM   #4
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

oops ... my bad ... please disregard

MOLON LABE !

I’m a G-CODE holster fan !
www.range5.com
Old August 8, 2004, 09:06 AM   #5
38SnubFan

Hornady Custom JHP/XTP or Federal Hydro-Shock would have my vote any day for a defensive round for my .38 Spl. (which too cannot handle +p).

Federal's e-mail addy: [email protected]

Hornady's only e-mail is for their webmaster, as you already put. However, I did find a handy toll-free number for their company: 1-800-338-3220.

Hope that helps.

I'm using the Hornady Custom JHP/XTP 158-gr. (non +P) in mine and it shoots great.

Matthew Webb
Franklintown, PA

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men and women stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -A token of appreciation for the good cops.

"Good cheer and steady aim are always fashionable."

"Will...if need be!"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΑΛΒΕ!
Old August 8, 2004, 01:26 PM   #6
Erich

I have an Agent, an aluminum-framed short-butted Detective Special that was made in the '70s. Colt okayed the limited use of +Ps in these later guns, so I use the 158 gr LSWCHP +P load.

I don't know what I'd do if I were limited to standard pressure loads - probably go with wadcutters as others have suggested.
Old August 9, 2004, 12:06 AM   #7
GASCHECK

Knowledgeable Friends:
Well, the bottom line with the load question is I would like to use Federal Premium Personal Defense loads. If you look at Federals website, the description of them is quite impressive. I don't know if they are +P. Somewhere else I read that firing +P would result in probable hearing loss, temporary flash blindness and damage to the gun. It is now loaded with Cor-Bons, and I had Glasers in before. For years I kept it loaded with the old round nosed police loads. The gun is from the '60's. Time to buy an SP101? Maybe I read too much! Thanks!
Gascheck
Old August 10, 2004, 12:27 AM   #8
sm

To answer a few PM's , figure others might want to know...Mr. Erick Gelhaus, provided links that explain the reasoning.

Mine would be loaded with 148 gr Target wadcutters, I am either out/ can't find them. Gremlins have re-arranged my ammo - again.

IN my experiences The Winchester 148 gr Target WC shot best for my guns. [POA/POI] Winchester also had LESS muzzle flash than other brands.

I highly recommend whatever you try , try it during low light / no light. Fast follow up shots are important to me, [ shot placement] I'd rather get hits with a standard pressure 148 gr Target Wadcutter , than to miss due to recoil on follow ups and muzzle flash with a +P design.
Old August 11, 2004, 01:14 AM   #9
GASCHECK

Shooters:
After reading the above thread, I finally remembered that the Rifleman had an article on wadcutter defense loads. I found it in my big notebook, but when I copied it, I stupidly did not manage to get the date on the page. Anyway,the article by William C. Davis includes a suggestion of loading a 115 grain wadcutter in front of 4.8 grains of Bullseye. He also has a chart with pictures of inverted hollow-based wadcutters after firing. He does not recommend them. He wasn't happy with the expansion of W-W +P 110gr JHP loads either.
Gascheck.